back to article LaCie and Promise Thunderbolt their desktop storage

LaCie and Promise have announced desktop storage products using Intel's Thunderbolt 10Gbit/s interface. LaCie has a Thunderbolt version of its Little Big Disk, saying it is designed to store large audio and video files "with ultra-fast data transfer, complete system backup in minutes, and faster content editing than ever …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. David Haworth

800GB/s?!

how many thunderbolt ports would that require?

2. petur
    Boffin

800GB/s

Probably means 800Gbps, or gigabit ethernet speed...

Wake me up when they have a product that needs more than gigabit ethernet speeds, until then, my NAS will do :)

1. Ammaross Danan
      FAIL

Tech Icon Fail

I think you missed it. 800MB/s. Note "MB/s" not GB/s. Yes, typo in article. The FAIL because you even typed out 800Gbps saying that's gigabit ethernet speed, which is 1Gbps. Although, 20 bonded 40Gb-ethernet would be a nice interface, or the even better 100Gb Fiber interfaces...but still would require 8 of THOSE bonded.

3. codemonkey
    Go

@petur

That made me smile..I wrote a very similar line in a comment of an assember(80x86) file viewer that I wrote, many, many years ago. It was able to show 4GB files in the good old DOS days..I wrote..

When we have files larger than 4GB, I'll think about re-writing this....

Time to head to the drawing board...I'll give you a kick when we meet your wake up point...don't get too comfy...

I suppose this is why we're in geek-ness...it's just so dynamic and fun :)

4. Jeff 11
    Alert

Only marginal benefits compared to eSATA

The maximum sustainable read speed from a 7200rpm disk is between 70-80MB/s. At the moment, Firewire 800 handles that theoretical maximum fine. eSATA is 3 or 6Gb, which handles around 5 or 10 such devices.

So the marginal benefits from Thunderbolt to eSATA will only apply to really high end stuff with many, many drives, not 90% of consumer DAS devices...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

As I understand it...

...the really fast stuff (build on SSD's) are plug in PCI-e boards*, bypassing the SATA bottleneck. So all the builders of these Thunderbolt storage devices need to do is the same, as it supports PCI-x. Skip SATA altogther. But I guess that would be pricey.....

* http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/solid_state_drives/pci-e_solid_state_drives

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Data transfer speeds?

What use are data transfer speeds when the Lacie power supply WILL fail?

6. johnnymotel
    Go

pci-express

this is the standard, so it supports many interfaces

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like