back to article Google sweetens Android with full Honeycomb SDK

Google has released a full SDK for Android 3.0, aka Honeycomb, Mountain View's mobile operating system targeted squarely at fondleslabs. "The APIs are final, and you can now develop apps targeting this new platform and publish them to Android Market," SDK Tech Lead Xavier Ducrohet announced in a post on the Android Developer …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Pint

Hardware?

All we need now is some decent reference H/W to run it all on.

So much stuff is promised, announced, and even sampled but where the frigging hell is it?

I can only hope that the H/W makers have been holding off until this was released. With the iPad-2 just days away from launch, there is a lot of catching up still to do to make something a slick as the new fondleslab is likely to be. In that case, the more devs who can help out here the better.

Beer coz I know where I can buy some unlike a lot of the Android tablet mythical beasts.(not those el cheapo ones running 1.6 thank you very much)

1. Ammaross Danan
      Go

A few points

"Beer coz I know where I can buy some unlike a lot of the Android tablet mythical beasts.(not those el cheapo ones running 1.6 thank you very much)"

Archos 70 and 101: Runs Android 2.2, shortly will bump to 2.3, and has promises of moving to 3.0. But even at 2.2, they're a very nice bundle of features (SD card slot! Take that iPad).

And with the mention of iPad:

"With the iPad-2 just days away from launch, there is a lot of catching up still to do to make something a slick as the new fondleslab is likely to be."

Won't the world be a little disappointed when the new iPad2 releases with the usual 1280x900 or somesuch screen, HDMI, no USB (perhaps just USB charging), a wimpy 1.3 or even 0.3MP front-facing camera, vanilla 5.0MP rear camera, a 1.2GHz single-core CPU, a bump to the RAM, bump to the internal Flash (due solely to 25nm as opposed to any good will on Apple's part). With only one device out there running dual core ARM, and that it's nVidia, means Apple either got the scoop from another ARM maker for a dual core, or will only be a single core. (off chance of signing with nVidia).

What else could be missing? 4G support perhaps? Likely, the cell-data version will support Verizon's network in addition to AT&T-type networks. If Apple makes me eat crow on this off-the-cuff speculation on launch day, I say bring it on. It will do the market some good if they go all out and drop an iPad2 with nVidia Tegra tech, 1-2GB of RAM, 64-128GB flash, SD card support, USB connectors, DisplayPort/HDMI (&Thunderbolt?) and 1920x1080+ screen resolution. I might even get one at that point. Or perhaps the 'droid device that comes out to "top" it.

Fight Fight Fight!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like