back to article Powering the mobile experience

Deep in the heart of Gotham City, a gang of arch-criminals descends on the central bank. The plan: to execute the most audacious heist ever. What can stop them? Nothing! Unless... across the windswept street, from the darkest confines of a garbage-strewn alleyway emerges our masked hero, the caped crusader. "Not today!" he …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. David Shaw
    Black Helicopters

DARPA briefing

that I attended postulated getting mobile devices to work on currently unfashionable nuclear isotope batteries. They offer about 50milliwatts of power over a decade recharge cycle. Need to improve the 'net protocols somewhat to make better use of the battery limitations , drop the inefficient TCP/IP and go for (DARPA suggested) RF DTN disruptive tolerant mesh networks, actually another study I've seen said that UMTS would work better and infrastucturally cost less had the dosh been invested in DTN mesh systems.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Doesnt that tell you something about a certain recent release?

So the vast majority of users want more battery life. Its more important than anything else.

Apple bring out their IPhone and prioritise battery life over the power hungry 3G and negotiate an unlimited tariff and get panned (Neither is Blackberry 3G and i don't hear people slagging them).

Some people are either telling porkies about their real needs or are hypocrites.

I do really like my treo - but WM 5/6 is stupidly power hungry running active sync. So i have that really nice subtle double life battery that sticks out - makes it useable but looks pony.

And thats where we are today. You cant have everything because the tech hasnt got to that stage yet.

So i think Apple made the right call in the consumer arena. Their problems start when they go into the business market with push email. Maybe the chipsetss (such as the recently announced 3g all on one board thingy in reg recently) will help.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

hmm

Dear Anonymous Coward

"Some people are either telling porkies about their real needs or are hypocrites."

I think you need to remember that people have more than 1 requirement, while battery life is the highest priority, so is having decent internet access - the iPhones GPRS is just too dam slow, especially for something with "i".

Cheers

Another Anonymous Coward

4. Brian Miller

Want longer battery life? Consume less.

My Toshiba Portégé notebook gives me 4hrs on the battery. Why? It has one Pentium-M that makes use of turning down the clock cycles. When I have my Motorola Razor phone hooked up for network access or WiFi enabled, I get just under three hours. With an external pack, I get eight/six hours. How much longer do you want for battery operation?

If you want longer battery life, just use less power. Simple, isn't it?

5. kevin pownceby

what about this nokia.

Hello, wondered if you could help with this question,

A hell of a lot of us out their own the nokia n95, and we have been asking the nokia company on their own site when they are going to make a better battery, with increased life so that we have not got to keep recharging the phone battery all the time,

They don’t seem to be bothered with this, because no matter how many people ask this question, they don’t seem to be interested or just not bothered.

Could you find out any kind of info.

Thanks kev.

6. Robert Steadman
    Flame

The Mobile Internet

I just changed my mobile provider, to get a phone I could actually use at home.

My old provider (Orange) provides casual GPRS access for £3/MB. By 'casual' I mean I don't want to hand over money every month for something I probably won't use. But if I am out and about, I run Opera on my Palm T3, and that's a much better internet experience than the matchbox sized screen on my Moto V3.

So now I'm on T-Mobile; their casual access is £1 per day for 'fair use' access, and the chap in Carphone Warehouse was sure that I could access the internet from my Palm on this. But no; the £1-per-day tariff only allows you to use the browser on the phone. And so does the first 'bundle', at £7.50 per month. You have to be willing to cough £12.50 and £22.50 per month if you want to connect a handheld or laptop to GPRS.

Now here's the real rant. Their website doesn't make this limitation clear, so any ex-Orange customer coming to T-Mobile could make the same mistake. Actually, none of the operators sites, say anything clearly about the 'walled garden' experience, or how much you need to pay to get the mobile internet off your phone and onto a device that you can actually read.

The moral of this rant, fellow vultures, is be careful to understand the Ts&Cs for yourself before you choose.

Robert

7. Tom
    Boffin

Dear Kev

You'll notice if you look at the new N95 8Gb (and other one, I forget the name) that it has a larger battery pack, at the cost of the camera lens cover.

If you don't like the short battery life, I suggest you take a leaf out of Brian's book, and choose a phone that does less but lasts longer. Some older SE phones might fit the bill, as will an N73.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like