back to article Passport office loses applications

The Identity and Passport Office (IPS) has been reprimanded by the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) for losing 21 passport renewal forms. The forms were lost in May 2010 and the ICO informed. The lost data included personal information on both the applicants and the counter-signatories. All affected individuals were …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Wize

Is it lost as in...

...deleted without a trace or left on a random train?

1. Fuh Quit
      Thumb Up

nah - they weren't on CD

otherwise they'd have turned up at some Journo's office ;-)

2. David 45

Lost in space

Well, well - smack on the wrist and stand in the corner of the classroom for the rest of the day. Just shows the lack of teeth that the ICO really has. Not impressed. I once reported a previous employer to them for passing on my personal details (name and address) to one of the rogue so-called "private parking enforcement" companies that abound in the UK, instead of passing the alleged "parking infringement" notice to me to deal with. I had a load of waffle back from the ICO and no real concrete answers. Personally, I would have thought they breached the 1998 Data Protection act. Oh - and by the way, never paid the "fine" (naturally) and never heard any more.

3. Goldmember
    FAIL

Great...

I just sent them a renewal form, including plenty of personal info, a cheque (complete with bank details, of course) and my old, not quite expired yet passport. Nice to know my entire identity is in safe hands.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

If only they had a national ID database

Clearly they need more practice in handling forms.

Maybe the government could setup a national ID database to give them more practice?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

21? In one month?

Ask Mossad to stop and give them back.

6. hplasm
    Happy

Have they checked

round at the Israeli Embassy?

7. Peter H. Coffin

Cancel information?

"Following the loss of details relating to 21 passport applications in May 2010, IPS took immediate action to cancel the application information. We are confident that customers were not subject to any risk of identity fraud."

Knowing what I do about what goes onto passport applications, pray tell how exactly does any of that information get "cancelled"? Do those involved get new names and birthdates? New tax IDs and eye colours?

1. asiaseen

Termination

with extreme prejudice.?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Be careful what you ask for

A "mistargeted" missile would abruptly cancel your home address.

8. GloucesterMatt
    Thumb Down

Useless

The ICO are useless anyway, they are STILL investigating ACS Law!

9. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Confidence

So they lost all the most identifying details of 21 people.

They don't know how they were lost - or who ,if anyone, has the details but they are confident that there is no risk of identity theft ?

Presumably some new meaning of the word confident I was not previously aware of

10. kain preacher

@hplasm

Hey how dare you beat me to the punch. Some is getting ready for a serious special party.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like