back to article Romanian middleman pleads guilty to $2.7m auction scam

A Romanian native faces jail in the US after pleading guilty to participating in a $2.7m online marketplace scam. Adrian Ghighina, 33, of Bucharest, admitted conspiracy, fraud and money laundering charges at a hearing at a US District Court in Illinois on Thursday. Ghighina acted as a middleman collecting cash and bank …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Michael Jennings

Ah yes, Romania

I went to Romania last year, and it's actually a surprisingly nice country (given that it is famous for Ceausescu and Dracula, basically).

However, I made the mistake of attempting to log in to my email account. I was immediately locked out. I received an e-mail saying "Your account has been compromised", asking me to check carefully for signs of misuse, and explaining the somewhat onerous security procedure for getting it unlocked.

There was no "We suspect there is a chance your account has been compromised" or anything like that. Straight to the "evil hackers have stolen your identity" stage.

1. Robert E A Harvey

Yep

Lovely country, den of thieves.

But we have the City of London and the Banks, so who are we to criticise?

What is worse, having to create a new email address, or having to pay 25% extra tax for the next 10 years?

2. doperative

Your account has been compromised?

> However, I made the mistake of attempting to log in to my email account. I was immediately locked out. I received an e-mail saying "Your account has been compromised", asking me to check carefully for signs of misuse, and explaining the somewhat onerous security procedure for getting it unlocked ..

Your account hasn't been compromised, what is more lickley is that amalware on the computer is trying to trick you into entering your registration details. Malware most probably put there by the propriators of the Internet Cafe.

Your bet bet is to use a Bootable CD when using someone elses computer ..

1. Richard Boyce
      Black Helicopters

Re: Your account has been compromised

That won't protect you from a keylogger in the USB connection. If you don't control the hardware or who could be watching over your shoulder, don't type persistent passwords. Either use your own laptop to connect via secure WiFi and SSL or better still, use one-use passwords.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like