back to article Detroit citizens demand RoboCop statue

Fans of Paul Verhoeven's 1987 classic RoboCop have launched an online campaign to erect a statue in honour of their crimebusting hero. RoboCop Via the inevitable Facebook presence, and a tin-rattling site, Brandon Walley and chums hope to raise the $50,000 necessary to make officer Murphy a permanent fixture on Detroit's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Stu
    FAIL

Hummm

If they'd have stopped production on the franchise after just Robocop 1 then yes, I'd be more on their side...

Still a bit mad though!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Ummm...

...this may be a very shameful admission, but I actually rather enjoyed the TV series.

1. Shaun 1

An even more shameful admission...

But I have the soundtrack CD!

2. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

I'm pretty dure they did...

...Well Paul Verhoeven did anyway. I prefer to see Robocop as one in the series of Verhoeven films, rather than one in the series of Robocop films...

2. Bonce

Call my cynical

But how long before it gets nicked?

1. Greg Adams 2

Robochopped

Well it all depends on where they put it. If it's downtown then they won't touch it. Anywhere else and I wouldn't give it past a week.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good, but...

I'd prefer an ED-209.

1. MacRat

Fully operational

of course

2. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

RE: ED-209

Might not be such a good idea.

http://www.elfwood.com/~tavisharts/Ed-209.3502894.html

4. The BigYin

Meh

I guess a RoboCop statues would be at least one reason to visit that industrial graveyard.

Hey, maybe they could erect statues to all sorts of movie characters and re-build their economy on film-tourism and selling replica[nts]?

Just a thought.

5. NoneSuch Silver badge

Could be worse...

If they were proposing 'Starship Troopers' I would be against it. 'Total Recall' would be a bad idea too. There will be enough Arnie statues in the future.

A better Paul Verhoeven statue subject would be 'Showgirls'... ;-)

6. disgruntled yank

Michael Jackson?

Apart from the his birth & childhood in Gary, Indiana, his having spent most of his "adult" life in California, and few nasty court cases, sure, why not?

The Philadelphia Art Museum is (in my opinion) defiled by a statue of "Rocky" at the foot of the steps. (The boxer, not the flying squirrel, for those of you who follow US pop culture.) So wherever this object goes, let's keep it away from anything resembling a cultural institution.

1. Graham Marsden
      Unhappy

"The boxer, not the flying squirrel"

Damn, spoil my laughter, why don't you?

7. William Boyle
    Thumb Up

If Naperville, Illinois then why not Detroid, Michigan?

If Naperville, Illinois has a great big statue of Dick Tracy then why can't Detroit have one of RoboCop? That works for me! We do need our heroes, even if they ARE just fictional... :-)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They seem very confused in Detroit

They can't find a means to create jobs but they want to erect statures of a pedophile and robocop? I'm sure Bama will be able to find a way to give them $50 million tax payer dollars for statures. Hopefully Bama is convicted right after they finish with Kwame Kilpatrick, his family and cronies.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Tea Anyone?

I think this guys having a party ......

9. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Meldrew Alert

$6k already? Seriously, if you're going to give some money away, there are hundreds of causes out there in desperate need of cash for worthwhile work, even if its just $1. Why give your money to something that is, at best, just quite funny.

10. Neoc

Pardon me if memory fails...

But wasn't Detroit a hell-hole because a certain company executive wanted a ready market for the ED-209s?

This topic is closed for new posts.