back to article Facebook tagged with $60bn valuation

Facebook is considering allowing its staff to sell up to $1bn of their shares to institutional investors, after the company got slapped with a $60bn valuation. According to All Things Digital, which cites sources close to the situation, Facebook's estimated valuation rocketed another $10bn yesterday. Brokerage Goldman Sachs …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder

Just how much more it'd have been worth if it was professionally run.

2. Ian Michael Gumby
    WTF?

Money for nothing...

Sorry but what tangible product does Facebook offer?

I mean if a giant metor came down and took out all of Facebook's servers (yeah I know... but just go with it...) What would happen to the world's economy?

And yes, I'm actually one of the few computer literate people who doesn't have a facebook account, nor do I want one.

3. Cliff

Remember 2001

Did we learn nothing from the first dodcom boom/bust - overinflated valuations are the same poison to the economy as ponzi schemes.

1. dssf
      Grenade

Back then, the dot com boom fizzled into Dot Commie...

Now, hehehhe, it will rise like a phoenix, but REALLY be "Dot Commie". (Wait... i hear a knock at my... *(#)W:FWEE*#)*(&#)@(*$ WAHHHHHH! ) carrier/link lost.....

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge
      Welcome

History repeats itself

Once you get caught out with a Ponzi scheme you just create another one with a new name. We had the "new economy" dotcom fiasco which was replaced by a property bubble encouraged by too much liquidity. That went bang so the central banks just printed more money for the next asset bubble.

The GS "special investment opportunity" is probably the AOL moment of the current cycle. What will be the Enron?

4. Ian McNee
    WTF?

$60Bn?

Blimey! Just as well these crazy bankers aren't involved in running the world's financial systems, with mad valuations like that we might end up in a situation where huge investments turned out to not worth the paper they were printed on! Oh..wait a minute...

5. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    FAIL

What have *bankers* learned from the last dot.com crash?

I'd bet my money on ...

F**k all.

But something tells me that Warren Buffet will not be investing in this "opportunity" anytime soon.

6. Major
    Black Helicopters

inflated valuation... never..

its all good and well to have this tool that brings us all together... but.. alas.. how long before people get sick of it or work out that all this private [cough] info is stored for life...

once the party is over - a few players will hang around but the masses will have thinned out.. its real value will be realised. for now.. it's a cool website. It's value seems to be just the number of people with accounts [as opposed to users] - 50 billion.. Go Goldmans... we know we can trust you with this...

60 billion... pass the bong to the next VC...

perhaps in the not too distant future... people with work it all out.. perhaps not BUT Goldmans with fix it just right!

7. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Gee...

I didn't realize a mass collection of smiley faces and LOL's was worth that much.

Meh.

Paris because to think that story is true, you have to be shallow and/or blond.

1. Andy ORourke
      Happy

It's not the LOL's & Smiley faces.....

Rather the meatbags who are the "product" and if you have enough eyeballs then people will pay to advertise to them. I mean look at Google, OK, not exactly the same but who would have thought that what started as a search engine would be worth so much now?

Smiley - just for you LOL

8. Andrew 60

Re: Money for nothing

> What would happen to the world's economy?

When half the world's employees stop wasting hours on facebook, surely the economy would soar ;-)

9. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Pint

Jeez!

I take it most of the people running FaceSlap were laying paralytic on the floor of the local Uni bar back when the 2001 boom/bust came and went like a hurricane of common sense through IT?!

What other possible reason could there be for such a ridiculous situation. A simple messaging and service provider like FB valued at sums exceeding the GDP of small African nations!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How can I make sure

that none of my pension is invested in Facebook with that valuation?

11. Jon Smit
    FAIL

Who remembers any of these

Infoseek went to Disney for $1+ billion

Excite went to @Home for $8 billion

Lycos went to Terra for, gulp, $13 billion!

Before FaceAche we had MySpace. What's that worth now?

12. Richard Jukes

heh

Sure, its worth 60 billion. I mean by now there surely have been around 60 billion invested in it.... Just because I spend £50k on an old bangor dropping a big engine in and making it shiney, does not make it worth £50k - its still the same old pile of shit.

Facebook are over valued, they have no real source of income hence all these 'Rounds of funding' that have to occur each year. Its a ponzi scheme. How many rounds of funding did google have? Two. $100k to start with and $25m once they have proven the concept. How many has facefuck had? One a year?

13. Yag
    Joke

Seems like the economy is on the rails again...

Coke rails, of course!

Good ol' scams, they never grow old :)

14. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Better put in a call to my "broker"

Megaton Wally

I'm clearly not getting the good stuff the GS analysts have been snorting.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like