back to article Vodafone squeezes internet into TV

Vodafone believes the time is right for an internet-on-TV box, undaunted by the fact that everyone else has been trying to do the same thing for decades. Vodafone's new Webbox squeezes the technology into a battery-powered, keyboard-sized device, with an RCA connector and Opera Mini to deliver compressed pages over the mobile …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. rasp
    FAIL

Errm, WTF ? Vodaphone

Why not just put a LCD into this thing.

You wouldn't need a TV at all :-P

1. Brian 6
      Stop

@Rasp

"Why not just put a LCD into this thing".............RTFA...."The Webbox will start in South Africa, with eyes on India, and retail at around €75 - plus connectivity of course....." If they added an LCD that would make this thing into a lap top. Do u know any good lap tops that sell for €75 ???

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

All Voda need to do now...

...is squeeze a decent phone service into a mobile phone.

3. lee harvey osmond

Webbox? sounds like a dog's dinner to me

See also http://www.google.com/search?q=webbox+pet+treat

4. Anonymous Cowherder
    Flame

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits, just like my sister.

Why does everyman and his dog want to be "content" suppliers? If the network people concentrated on getting their network to be the fastest, most reliable and superior network they can charge the providers a premium rate per eyeball of their customers.

There is some really cool content out there, none of it does, or ever will come from the carriers.

Leave it to the professionals guys, just concentrate on getting the zeros and ones to the requesting device as quickly as possible.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

There ain't no money in shifting ones and zeros

All the profit is in the content.

1. Andy 97
        Grenade

I think you'll find that there is...

More profit in data than voice/text packages.

Just ask O2, 3 & Whatever-Whenever or whatever they are called now.

5. Chris 211

It has a place....

Its quite neat actually, add a HDMI option, or wireless HDMI, add wifi and it would be a nice contender to everything else. Ok so that might push the cost up to 100euros which we in the west could pay without problems. Then granny could be online! At the moment no real QUIET solution exists to do this. I have a PS3 with a wireless keyboard its rubbish at rendering websites and doesnt support flash. I dont want a PC as like the PS3 buzzes away with its fans etc. Neat idea.

6. irrelevant
    FAIL

STBs

It's been tried for longer than that...

http://www.viewdata.org.uk/index.php?cat=15_Prestel&page=91_1982

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like