back to article Firm pledges first 400Mb/s powerline product early '08

European networking hardware company Comtrend has pledged to begin selling powerline Ethernet adaptors capable of a maximum throughput of 400Mb/s - double the speed of today's offerings - "early next year". Comtrend's kit uses technology developed by European semiconductor maker DS2 and is compatible with DS2's 200Mb/s chips, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

I can see it now!

Be the first to experience 400Mbps* downloads in your own home.

* Speeds up to 400 Mbps**, terms and fair usage policy (1 Gbyte / Month, No torrents)

Meaning ANY speed up to 400 Mbps

2. JP
    Flame

Why no power??

Why do powerline designers seem to ignore the fact that it might be useful to keep the power socket available for use for powering - oh, I don't know - THE COMPUTER when designing the products??

3. heystoopid
    Coat

Oh no

Oh no , I can see Comcast US will be buying this technological innovation to bury it !

4. John Murgatroyd

Wot about the transformer

I don't think so. When the idea was first tried the biggest problem was that every substation transformer has to be bypassed at the frequency used. A transformer that's good at 50 hz is not good at several megahertz.. There are a lot of transformers about, meanwhile the fibre-optic network is continuing to spread, along with cable.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Do u guys know what ur talking about???

RE: Comments so far....

I've got the 85mbps powerplugs and they blow the water out of any wireless connection I've tried for both reliability and speed i.e. pretty much same as 100mbit ethernet.

For those of us that don't fancy rewiring our entire households with ethernet and fibre-optic networks to go along side our existing electricity cables, powerline networking technology is an amazing solution.

John Murgatrod - think ur living in the dark ages talking about transformers interfering with it...

Some of u have got the wrong end of the stick, this is a local networking technology, i.e. for home lans etc, not so your ISP can feed u broadband over a powerline.

6. Tom

Please remember...

...wire is cheaper, and works quite nicely. It is not subject to problems that surge protectors and filters (common in computer installations) will cause. To me these devices are a waste of money.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

HPA "no public roadmap"

is the point. all of the HPA vendors have roadmaps beyond 200Mbps, Gigle for one have already announced that they will release a product with a 1Gbps PHY next year. I guess DS2 have to announce something given the IEEE decision (that means they will have to redesign completely to comply to the upcoming IEEE standard...).

have done a lot of testing of HPA and DS2 products - and the HPA will give a lot more bandwidth than the DS2 in the "real world", the DS2 is very sensitive to electrical noise.

correct, the signal will not pass through transformers - this is not an access technology, it's a home networking technology.

no, i don't work for Gigle or any other HPA silicon vendor, just know something about it...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Do u guys know what ur talking about???

Normally I dismiss anyone who uses "u" instead of "you" as a pointless cretin and move right along.

But you're absolutely right. The other commenters have indeed got the wrong end of the stick and to make matters worse, are fighting over it.

It's bizarre, really. I never thought I'd see technical argument so utterly destroyed by a netspeak user. Oh well.

Heaven and earth, Horatio.

9. This post has been deleted by its author

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

not sure how they will have 400Mbps "early next year"

not sure how they will have 400Mbps "early next year" when their chipset supplier was quoted by the Reg a couple of weeks ago thus:

"It expects such an application to be in demand "from 2009 onwards", and that's when it expects to get 400Mbps technology into powerline Ethernet adaptors."

So they will release products using a new chipset that their chipset supplier hasn't released yet?

?

11. night troll
    Pirate

@PSU?

Done it, been there. Netgear do a power supply for their routers which also acts as a powerline adapter, I have one running as I type and it works just fine.

@Do u guys know what ur talking about???

Agree with all you say my network of 5 runs much better on a powerline than on wireless where I had problems with drop outs and poor reception due to thick walls and concrete floors, not everone wants to or can run cables all over the house, my landlord would go nuts if I pinned cables to all the skirting boards or pulled up the fitted carpets.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like