back to article Employer settles with Facebooker who called boss 'dick'

An ambulance company in Connecticut has agreed to settle a case that challenged its decision to fire an employee for posting comments on Facebook that referred to her boss as a “dick” and a “scumbag.” American Medical Response said it would revise its rules to make clear they don't prevent employees from discussing wages, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Entertaining

So basically, based on this precedent the employee in the US has more rights than an employee in the UK.

Try posting that your boss is a Randall in good old Blighty.

1. dux
      Thumb Down

not really precedent

in order for this to be precedent, the case would require a judgement from the court.... since the company settled, it simply indicates that there is a fear that the court would have decided against the company.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Oh really?

There was a time when discretion was the better part of valour. Now we have a class of people who think it is perfectly acceptable to libel and slander people without any repercussions, and another class of idiots who seem to think they own their employees and what their employees do out of works hours is somehow their business. Both stupid, uncouth and crass, they deserve each each other.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Privacy is Dead

old value systems are outdated. The new values are air everything and your a wierdo whose to be avoided if your not on the bandwagon with your mobile tucked in your pocket and a xonstant feed to Facebook.

1. Dan 63
        Thumb Up

New values

So does not owning a mobile phone make me a weirdo then? If that means I am to be avoided by all the dicks who subscribe to your new values then so much the better.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Flame

New values

You also appear to be considered a weirdo if you can spell or read your own posts.

3. Andrew Moore

Is it possible...

...that she wasn't fired for making the remarks but for being so stupid for posting these remarks in a public forum? After all it would sound like working for an ambulance company should require a modicum of intelligence.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There must be an explanation

Boss: He called me dick!

Mediator: Isn't your first name Richard?

Boss:: But he also called me scumbag!

Mediator: Well... what's your surname again?

1. Elmer Phud
      Happy

Dick

Could have just called the boss a 'Richard' then.

5. Citizen Kaned
    WTF?

yanks....

this is kinda stupid. slag off your boss in a public place and what do you expect? i bet the guy will be up when the next round of redundancies hits.

we are in a global recession, jobs are scarce, why the hell slag off your boss where he/she can read it?

why do americans seem to not think they are responsible for their actions? just like the woman who fell into a water feature in a mall and is now suing for all the 'mental trauma' as everyone thinks she is a tool. get a grip.

1. Tom 13

You'd think that, as well as most US citizens do, but you'd be wrong.

First off, you need to pay attention to the locus of both the case and the author. One is Connecticut the other lives in Frisco. Most Americans use the phrase "People's Republic of" when referring to either location. Both locations are owned lock stock and barrel by the most extreme wing of the leftists. And the way this decision has come down, the employee now has a guaranteed lifetime job. Well, at least until the county goes broke and files for bankruptcy.

Many of us Americans aren't happy about those realities, and want people to be responsible for their actions, but our betters have other ideas.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Flame

Re: yanks....

"this is kinda stupid. slag off your boss in a public place and what do you expect? i bet the guy will be up when the next round of redundancies hits."

The guy? You mean the boss? Or do we infer instead that you didn't read the article properly?

And although there are obviously issues in that workplace, criticising the boss shouldn't be a sacking offence unless you believe in some kind of corporate state where absolute subservience to corporate superiors is everyone's primary responsibility.

6. A J Stiles
    FAIL

Hmm

Separation of personal and professional lives, anyone?

1. Tom 13

Sure.

Keep your personal life out of public forums and it won't affect your professional life. And yes, FaceBook is a public forum, no matter how much the marketers lie.

7. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

If your boss IS a dick,

why wouldn't you be allowed to say so?

Does it really benefit a company to clamp down on the business secret that the boss is a dick? I think it's a case for full disclosure. No one wants to go to a meeting, say, and find out only then that the guy is a dick.

I think there is even an argument for firing the guy who is a dick, for being a dick. Look at how he cost them a bunch of money just now. What a dick.

8. Anthony 13

Why is everyone saying "in public" ...

... If it is on Facebook? You can argue the privacy being the Internet and all, but surely one has the right to say what one thinks to one's 'friends'?

9. MinionZero
    Happy

@"referred to her boss as a “dick” and a “scumbag.”"

Well that sums up the majority of bosses, certainly the majority I've worked for ... hang on, my mobile's ringing, its my boss, don't know what he wants, have to go.

10. Intractable Potsherd

For those who seem to support this woman...

... where would your sympathy lie if it had been the other way round, and the boss had referred to her in public as scumbag and ... well, the female equivalent of "dick"? Either you support both situations, and my reading of the commenters on here is that most wouldn't support the hypothetical situation, or you don't support either. If we are going to have ridiculously low levels for bullying, then it has to work both ways, and if the boss had done this regarding the employee, it would be regarded as bullying.

Both of these are people (even the boss concerned), and both deserve the same amount of respect for their feelings.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Er....

Different levels of power, she told her friends she thought he was a dick and he fired her.

If he had told his friends that she was a dick she could not have fired him, effectively making him a bully for intimidating a "weaker" person.

I don't see what is so difficult to understand, unless you don't know the difference between "boss" and "worker" or what the definition of bully is.

Sure, what she did was a bit inappropriate, but his reaction was completely disproportionate and certainly suggests that she was correct in her assessment.

N.B. I am making the assumption that the boss is a "he" based on the names used, the story does not make it clear .

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like