back to article WinPho 7 '1.1' set for March release

Still waiting for your first Windows Phone 7 firmware update? You'll have to wait a little longer, it seems. Microsoft hinted in October 2010 - before the platform was even launched - that the first big WinPho 7 update would be coming early in 2011. Round about that point, CEO Steve Ballmer said it would actually be arriving " …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Atonnis
    Unhappy

Perhaps MWC is in the way?

Many of us have been eager for updates to our WP7 devices, but I guess we'll just have to wait :(

Still, I'm hoping that the reason for the wait is that they are all waiting to get through MWC this month, where I'm REALLY hoping that there'll be some new, cool announcements for WP7 (although it's probably too soon since release).

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Delay

Perhaps the network operators are concerned about the OS's data usage? A problem that was discovered early this year.

1. dogged
      Grenade

iOS too, in that case

since it was discovered in testing that Yahoo's IMAP spams data at iPhones - all models - too. One can only presume that the Cultists chose not to comment on their data bills for some reason.

1. bygjohn

Never noticed it

I've had two iPhones now, a 3G a couple of years back and a 4 since the summer, with Yahoo IMAP and set to push incoming mail. While this isn't my main mail account, I get messages through it daily and have a large amount of stored mail in folders. Yet in (roughly) 2.5 years I haven't noticed the kind of data usage experienced by some WinPho7 users. Do you have a link?

3. PaulR79
    WTF?

Microsoft not to blame? How?

"For once, Microsoft may not be to blame. It's said network operators and device makers are demanding changes to code that was complete before the end of 2010."

How do you come to that conclusion? I was under the impression that because all phones had a minimum specification, which most used as the only specification, Microsoft could happily push out updates without interference from networks. I'm sure that this was one of their points for having a dig at Android about fragmentation. I know this isn't fragmentation but one of the main reasons for it happening with Android is networks wanting to stick their crap on phones, holding back updates to sell newer phones etc. whereas Windows Phone 7 was supposed to have none of that crap to allow smoother updates.

1. Ammaross Danan
      Coat

FYI

You are more than welcome to dump a newer version of Android on your phone if you desire. It's out there and free to do. Whether your provider or phone manufacturer will offer any form of support on your new 2.3 install on your old 2.1 device is another matter....

1. thecakeis(not)alie

@Ammaross Danan

Really? How many phone manufactureres are offering up thier Android gear with unlocked bootloaders? You know, the kind you don't need to use an exploit on in order to root and load a new ROM?

Sent from my rooted HTC Desire.

4. Brian
    Thumb Down

To much control..

Operators still have too much control over MS' release cycle.

As for the data issues, that was found to be a problem with Yahoo's proprietary implementation of IMAP. Apparently one of the fetch commands fetches everything instead of just new mail. It's been documented in several non-MS blogs.

5. Silver
    WTF?

Changes? Right...

"For once, Microsoft may not be to blame. It's said network operators and device makers are demanding changes to code that was complete before the end of 2010."

As someone who used to directly work in that area, I'm not surprised that the OEM's and operators are demanding changes to the Microsoft updates.

However in our industry we normally call them "bug fixes".

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like