back to article Subdued RM says government cuts challenge its business

IT schools supplier RM has blamed the government's allocation of education funds for what it described as "subdued" market conditions. The company issued an interim management statement this morning in which it said it expected to see a decline in UK Learning Technologies sales in the 12-month period to September 2011. " …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Demise

RM lost their way - at the time the RM380Z was innovative, however, producing rubbish PC clones is hardly a good reason for buying from a UK firm...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Unsurprising...

... the Head of our local Primary School tells me his IT budget has been subjected to a 100% change - that's it, it's ZERO next year.

3. Ian McNee
    FAIL

Not just poor quality overpriced hardware...

We ditched RM last year (this in HE rather than schools) after years of woefully unresponsive service:

(i) put MAC address barcodes and chipset info on the PC cases? Nah!

(ii) offer meaningful tech support beyond script-jockey "have you installed the latest drivers?" Nah!

(iii) provide warranty replacement components rather than waste sending out an "engineer" (read: poor sop from a third-party outsource with ECDL and a screwdriver)? Nah!

(iv) simply deliver orders to the right bloody campus? Nah!

When we tendered for new suppliers RM's kit arrived late, was under-spec and still over-priced. Frankly they just did not seem to give a shit that we'd been buying thousands of systems from them for the past few years. Good riddance! No wonder they are struggling.

4. Lottie

Nice keyboards

Thewir keyboards are wonderfully colourcoded to match those on "learning to type" posters, but that's all I'd have from them.

I used to work in their Milton Park (nr abingdon/ didcot) facility and the components used/ cost of items ratio was quite shocking. Build quality was terrible but their top flight PCs had okay components and I remember a few P2s walking away.

Yeah, so over priced, under specced, built by stoned students (the summer holiday period was the busiest and they hired students who were on their holiday and often stoned, hung over or just plain not caring) computers not selling when schools have to be more competetive in their purchasing. It's no surprise Dell are making such inroads into education.

5. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Never convinced about RM

Many, many years ago I justified and built a computer resource for teaching what was called Computer Appreciation around BBC micros, ECOnet and Acorn file servers in a UK Polytechnic. I managed to get so much for the budget, including colour monitors, robot arms, digitizer tablets, touch screens, printers, plotters, speech recognition and synthesizers, teletext decoders, video cameras, mice, lightpens, and a basic CAD systems (remember, at the time, an Apple ][ with a Bitstick was considered good). We also had representative word processor, spreadsheet and database products and a good Basic (natch) as well as Acornsoft Pascal. This was to teach people from all learning disciplines, not just computing students, what computers could do in the early 1980's before DOS/Windows PC's had achieved dominance, and also before people had Home computers.

The main Computer Unit poured scorn on our efforts, because they wanted to put in RM 480Z's backed up by a 380Z as a file server. Equipping the lab with what they suggested would have blown the whole budget on the computer hardware without being able to afford any of the peripherals, demonstrating that their systems were overpriced. And I don't believe that it could have been used for half of what we actually used it for.

I was very sad to see Acorn loose out in the education sector, especially when RM moved to MS-DOS based systems. The 80186 based Nimbus 1's were neither cheap, standard, or IBM PC compatible.

I just looked at their web site, and saw a device for mobile data capture, priced "from £3.75". I thought "Wow, that looks interesting and cheap. Maybe RM have learned". I then looked further. £3.75 apparently buys you an extension cable (basically a 3m M-F 15 pin serial cable from what I can see).

The actual device itself costs £170, plus £19 for the software (you would have thought they could have included that, bearing in mind that it is essential to use with a computer), and all of the more interesting additional sensors cost £50-80. Suddenly I'm not interested.

I'm glad I'm not working in education any more. The thought of hearding rooms-full of PC's would fill me with dread.

6. Julian Smart

RM

Frustratingly, schools seem very fixated on Windows and MS Office. At a teacher friend's school, when they bought new machines, they took away the old, perfectly serviceable ones and left them with fewer PCs than before. Genius. Is this due to restrictive contracts, good old corruption, or just stupidity/intransigence? Who knows. But I bet if they spent less on Microsoft products, using open source software instead, authorities could afford a lot more machines.

(A RM 380Z was the first computer I used. As a student I worked as a RM technical author - and no, I wasn't stoned. I was however surprised to find that one of my colleagues was an ex-member of the Belle Stars...)

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

No longer just hardware

These days, the local authorities are (presumably), wating hoards of cash on their cloudy software offering, "The Learning Platform". It is predictably crap, insecure, buggy, badly designed, slow and, becomming semi-madatory for various parenting tasks.

Trouble is, it's like fighting the tide, as the local school blames the local authority for foisting it upon them (not that they don't think it's wonderful), and who really has much say into what technology a local authority chooses, or how much they (you) pay for it!? :(

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I remember

I remember the old School network.

approx. 30 machines, RM Nimbus 386s. Effectively dumb terminals (no hard drives) Running off a BNC network booting Windows 3.0 off a server in the back room.

The machines themselves took 5 to 10 minutes to boot off the network.

Their Pentiums of the later generation, just as I was leaving, seemed a bit better but didn't offer anything that any other vendor couldn't offer.

9. Symball

another RM summer employee

I'm another mug who spent their summer toiling in the sweatshop that was RM.

They obviously had done some research in China for manufacturing practices, long shifts and poorly paid staff, combined with cheap components make me want to run a mile whenever I see that badge.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like