back to article Lexmark Genesis multifunction printer

The Genesis S815 is the latest all-in-one (AIO) printer-scanner-copier-fax from Lexmark that brings a radically different form-factor to the product class. Lexmark Genesis Evolving technology: Lexmark's Genesis It stands a shade over 40cm high on your desk, with a 40cm x 40cm footprint, allowing for the sheet-collector …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JetSetJim
    Stop

Aren't there normally "cost per page" numbers to quote?

nuff said

2. The BigYin

Linux support?

Really? Really really? Sweet!

Shame I don't have £400 to spunk on printer though,,,

3. Jacqui

4800x9600 dpi

Is the limit for my flatbed in the living room.

And yes I do scan small imagesin at well over 600DPI.

Yes, for original images you do get graining however if you know where to look you can clean the images up and interpolate - ending up with a better than original image.

I personally would have set the limit at 600DPI - otherwise print quality would be degraded.

Jacqui

Oh and its a lexmark - I just hate 'em - my epson B1100 with a CISS is a monster but lightnig fast and dirt cheap to run - and will print A3+ photos!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

May I suggest an iFixit-style teardown?

There's got to be an iPod dock in there somewhere...

1. Ian McNee
      Stop

For two hundred notes...

...I'd want a lot more than just an iPod dock on an inkjet all-in-one. Or rather I'd want a lot more *instead of* an iPod dock as I don't have a bloody iPod!

Even with the huge cash-back offer this is in the same price bracket as the highly-praised Samsung CLX-3185 *colour laser* all-in-one (that incidentally has Linux support). No thanks!

Clearly an item for the iHavemoremoneythansense fashion victim generation.

5. Goat Jam
    Grenade

Do You Know What?

I don't care if the machine performs fellatio on me while it prints, it's a Lexmark and I have no doubt whatsoever that the ink will be more expensive than the finest French Champagne and they will have spared no expense whatsoever to ensure that you cannot buy generic ink either through placement of unnecessary technical hurdles or just good old fashioned method of sending out your attack lawyers to any firm who attempts to make reasonably priced ink.

It's about time companies like Lexmark were force to sell their printers at a price that reflects the cost to produce it and stop using the old sell the razor cheap and stiff them for the blades sales tactic through extortionate ink pricing.

I realise that all printer manufacturers play these games but Lexmark have made an art form of it.

Those crooks won't be seeing one red cent from me, ever.

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Vertical scan bed

But... But... things will just fall off.

Linux? Yes that's nice, and vital for me. Canon provide Linux drivers, and *flat* beds to put stuff on.

7. jonathanb Silver badge

Scan samples

Any chance of some sample scans from this machine so we can see for ourselves what the quality is like?

8. Martin
    Thumb Up

Yes, it's expensive....

..and no, I'm not going to buy one....

But I'm impressed by the scanning facility. It's at least an attempt at trying something new. Let's be fair, the "bar-along-the-glass-plate" solution has been around for years, and is inherently slow. Yes, it works well, but so did the telephone dial for a long time - but who'd want to use that now?

9. Gary F

This is a first!

The first time a Lexmark printer has cost more than a set of new ink cartridges! ;-)

I had no idea Lexmark were capable of such innovation and I aplaud them for that. Maybe other manufacterers will try to emulate this design but do so with a smaller price tag. If Epson or Canon produced something that looks like this for half the price I'd buy one.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like