back to article SCO: 'Someone wants to buy our software biz!'

SCO says it has selected a buyer for its software product business: a mystery company known as UnXis Group. "We are extremely confident that, with the support of our customers and business partners, we will rapidly restore SCO to its former glory and that UnXis will soon emerge as a major player in the information technology …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

UnXis?

The branding "experts" have excelled themselves: it sounds like some medieval monster-creating magic cult!

And it's going to be known as... Unctuous... Anxious...

2. The Unexpected Bill
    Coat

The Company That Would Not Die...

"We're betting against SCO being restored to its "former glory". "

In light of their somehow managing to stay around long after they should have faded away, I'd rule nothing out. My bet is on something of a balance between the two extremes taking place. It's also worth what you paid to hear it, so please keep that in mind.

3. Eduard Coli
    Gates Horns

Perhaps Bill approves

One would think that after all that SCO has done for his former monopoly billwg would turn out and help with a little <more> cash.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Former glory

What glory would that be then?

Sorry, not sure it was ever a "glorious" compagny ...

But hey, maybe UnXis wants to start a patent troll firm ...

1. Vic

Formerly Glorious

> Sorry, not sure it was ever a "glorious" compagny ...

Oh, it was.

SCO Unix used to be a sound product. And SCO paid Red Hat to put SCO Linux together, which is how they got sufficient funding to launch Red Hat Linux. In days of yore, SCO did plenty of really good stuff.

Then along came Darl.

Vic.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe SCO is buying SCO?

According to a post on Groklaw, here:

http://www.groklaw.net/articlebasic.php?story=20090711015440158

Hans Bayer himself bought the unxis.de domain, and several other SCO managers bought other versions. So maybe this is one of those little manouevres where the managers have set up a new company to buy the assets of the bankrupt company and carry on as before.

6. Brian Miller

Yeah, who is unXis?

There's hits back to mid-2009 about SCO-unXis, but who are they? Is it the Canadian company from 2008? Is it the Koreans who registered unxis.com last year? (and for only one year!) Come on, guys, let's see some investigating!

7. Chris Gray 1
    Stop

Microsoft?

I'm perhaps being too paranoid. But, what if the buyer is actually Microsoft? With that, they will have the rights to Unix regardless of any legal wrangling between SCO and Novell. Perhaps they want to start a legal fight that will tie lots of Unix/Linux folks in a knot for years.

1. Oninoshiko
      Go

umm,

Last I looked it was ruled that SCO actually DID NOT have any legal rights to the UNIX copyrights, although I stopped paying attention around then.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

re: what if the buyer is actually Microsoft?

Then Microsoft will be entitled to distribute a version of UNIX, which would seem something of an admission of defeat. I have a feeling they're not allowed to though, because they once owned a UNIX-like product and sold it with a non-competition agreement - anyone remember the details?

1. Richard Plinston

Xenix

Microsoft bought an AT&T licence to edition 6 or 7, ported it to the 8086 and called it Xenix. It also ran on 68000 Tandy machines. Actually the work had been done by two guys (father and son) who called themselves the Santa Cruz Operation.

At one time MS called Xenix and MS-DOS 2.0 a 'family' after adding some resemblances of Xenix to MS-DOS. eg hierarchical directories and the driver interface was similar. They also used Xenix for their development work and for accounting until the late 80s at least.

MS sold Xenix to Santa Cruz and entered an agreement that they would not sell another Unix system. Much later Santa Cruz sold stuff to Caldera and this included the name SCO so Caldera renamed themselves The SCO Group.

Santa Cruz were OK, the SCO Group were not.

8. jonathanb Silver badge

Does anyone still use them

Does anyone out there care about SCO any more?

I know McDonalds used to be their biggest customer, but I believe they jumped ship a few years back. Is there anyone left?

1. tim-e

Pizza Hut

...at least in their Australian stores, used SCO. But I haven't worked there for 10 years now, they probably ditched it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Well...

I worked for a well know outsourcer and we had quite a handful of SCO boxes running Oracle DBs in critical operations for some quite well known companies. This was about 4-5 years ago, I doubt they do now, most likely moved to Linux, Solaris or Windows.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Let's hope not..

I did do a fair bit of work with a medium sized retailer who heavily used SCO Unix, but I've just checked our records and they moved to Windows five years ago.

There were a couple of nice bits of their Unix, but on the whole it was a pain in the arse, especially since they used a custom mail server instead of standardising on Sendmail or similar.

9. Cheshire Cat
    FAIL

I wonder if...

I wonder if this means they will finall credit me with my Open Source software that they stole for their 'supplementary' disk? I was pleased to see it included there, until I found out that (a) they had stripped out the Credits file, in violation of the license agreement, and (b) they hadn't notified me, and turned me down for an interview when I applied to work there (although that turned out to be lucky after all)

The software was 'Wanderer', a text/graphics Boulderdash clone, if anyone wonders, and was my first C program of any size written in my first year at uni.

10. K. Adams
    Grenade

In the words of Mirror Universe Dr. Phlox (In a Mirror, Darkly)...

To SCO: "Would you KINDLY DIE...?!"

11. BA
    Alien

I bet it is a typo

It is the new Hollywood blockbuster

SCO White and the seven UnXis IP holders.

12. Joe User
    FAIL

Their envisioned former glory?

More like "their delusional former glory"....

13. John F***ing Stepp

Sad. I am old enough to remember.

When SCO was a legitimate company.

I define old.

14. Tom 7

But it would seem

that the only thing they want to sell actually is under control of Novell and they have the right to stop them selling and indeed they have asked the judge to stop any sale.

So there's actually nothing for unXis to buy.

If my weirdness counter hadn't overflowed on this case many years ago it would be overflowing now.

The method behind the madness in SCO is just more madness.

15. TeeCee Gold badge
    FAIL

UnXis Group.

There's a common saying used to reflect the fact that someone or some group is / are completely and utterly incompetant in a given area. To whit: "Hell, they can't even *spell* (whatever-it-is)".

This mob want in to the UNIX business? Made me laugh........

1. Anonymous Coward
      Troll

re: incompetant ... can't even *spell*

Oh well ...

16. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Move along, nothing to see

This is the second time UnXis tried to get hold of SCO through the bankruptcy court. First time around Novell objected since the deal would have given Novell nothing of the money that SCO owes them. This time around the purchase price is still too small to pay Novell, so they have objected again. plus Novell have stated that SCO cannot transfer their ownership of the Unix business to a third party without Novell's explicit permission, something that Novell has stated they will *not* give. So this is probably going nowhere.

We need a drain icon, since that's excatly where SCO is going down.

17. copsewood
    FAIL

trying to avoid another bad day in court

This isn't the first time they've created a mystery buyer or other form of mythical sugar daddy story a few days before a court hearing, to try to confuse realities enough to get out of the inevitable.

18. Sam Liddicott

MS?

Surely it is MS behind this; as has been said if they buy both parties to the dispute then they own whatever they need to own, and they have a company that can compete for them or which can release them from a non-compete obligation.

MS don't care if the whole world uses something called Linux as long as they pay MS for the pleasure of it.

And why switch to RedHat Linux if you can stay with Microsoft Linux? With windows compatibility? Just like the old Unixware that could run your dos programs (supposedly).

19. Andy Enderby 1
    WTF?

why hasn't SCO folded yet ?

talk about running on fumes...... Do they have any customers/income at all any more ?

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge
      Alert

Because....

SCO keep telling the bankruptcy court that if they are allowed to continue their claim against IBM, and win, that they will have enough money to settle the money they owe.

Unless someone convinces said court that the claims are fatuous, and will never be more than a way of paying lawyers, then the court *HAS* to listen, because they have a duty to recover as much value as possible for the creditors.

And although there have been rulings on the admissibility of the evidence and who owns the copyright, the original case is still outstanding. There may still be a small chance that there is a case against IBM because not all of the documents are in the public domain, but even if there is, it is unlikely that SCO would actually be able to collect any of the money.

I keep feeling that the case against IBM has to reach court and be finally ruled on, so that this whole mess can be consigned to the history books.

What worries me is that Novell are the ones who objected last time this UnXis tried to by the assets, but Novell is not the company it was. Microsoft had a finger in the pie when Attachmate bought Novell. If Microsoft had some way of suggesting to Attachmate that MS would pay more for the IP they bought in the deal if Attachmate/Novell would not object this time round, the whole circus could start anew (shudder).

20. Mike Timbers

SCO Games

The early version sof SCO Unix (just after the name changed from Xenix386) included a diskette of Games, one of which was the magnificant Ularn. Despite being a qualified Xenix engineer (1989!) Ularn is the only positive thing I have to say about SCO.

21. Robert Halloran
    Linux

Not much to sell

The courts have ruled, TWICE, that the SCOundrels don't own the UNIX copyrights they claimed. So all they have rights to are the added bits that make generic AT&T UNIX into OpenSewer, er, OpenServer. Given their vast customer base out there, that they can't support 64-bit CPUs or most current peripherals, the value of this add-on is pretty thin.

Then add in the countersuits from IBM, Red Hat, etc, and you have an actively toxic asset here. Best bet is that the Phantom Buyer is just trying to keep the under-the-table dealings with the Vole from seeing daylight.

SCOX(Q) DELENDA EST!!

22. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

The only news here...

...is that the bloated corpse of SCO hasn't quite stopped twitching yet...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like