back to article Ofcom stings ISP £30k for silent treatment

Telecoms watchdogs at Ofcom have hit Sheffield-based ISP Prodigy Internet Ltd with a £30,000 fine after it failed to provide information to an investigation into its broadband migration practices. The probe was launched in April after complaints that Prodigy was not complying with Ofcom's new rules on ISP switching. A new …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

0wned

sounds fair to me, not like they havent had enough chances.

now how about a similar fee like that for falsely advertising "unlimited" accounts, then not delivering them?

it seems no one cares about consumers when it comes to their ISP accounts, the gov point the finger @ Ofcom and Ofcom do nothing.

here's some clarification for the ISP's

not limited; unrestricted; unconfined: unlimited trade.

btw enjoy the "all you can eat" buffet, but you cant have more than 10 crisps.....

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/unlimited

2. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Ofcom to broaden the search?

This practice seems to be widespread. I hope Ofcom have chance to turn their attentions to Pipex. It would be intersting to see what they uncover.

What do Pipex customers have to say?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Pipex

When is someone going to crucify Pipex? They're like Blofeld, always getting away with 'it', whatever 'it' might be this time...

4. Andy Barber
    Unhappy

Bulldog/Pipex/etc

It took THREE weeks for me to churn from Bulldog to BT! Bulldog still insisted I owed them money, after taking six months to upgrade my 1Mb to an 8Mb connection. I refused to pay but I still got churned to BT. If you have a bad ISP, churn to another ISP, then let the try to reclaim the money, for the survive, they didn't provide.

5. Martin
    Thumb Down

Karoo

Even if I got a MAC it would be no bloody good. There's no alternative to Krapoo in Hull/Parts of East Yorkshire.

6. Gilbert Wham

@ Andy Barber

Dude, wait. What? You moved *to* BT? You give BT money in the fond hope they will provide services in return? My dear fellow, I do hope it's not too late. Are you still within your right to cancel period?

(Happy user of an Entanet reseller - 19.99 for 30gbpeak/100gb offpeak, no lies about 'unlimited', no contract, no shaping, tech support that is both technical and supportive)

Seriously, fuck BT - they're the only company I've ever had to write to the CEO *every* time something needed fixing.

7. Steve Browne

Is that all ?

What are needed are real penalties, not a few thousand pounds, something to wipe out their profits for the next 2 or 3 years. Ofcom just dont get it do they, unless significant sanction is applied bad behaviour will continue.

BTW, havent heard anything from Toucan after I told them to go get a summons or go away following my escape from their clutches. They, unilaterally, decided that I hadnt ended my contract, when I had told them at least 3 times that I was doing my 12 months and that was it. I hear they are now part of Pipex ... hoem sweet home I guess

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like