back to article Apple pressed to show succession plan

Apple has come under further pressure to tell shareholders how it plans to manage the eventual succession to Steve Jobs, after the CEO announced his latest and open-ended stint of medical leave. Institutional Investor Services, a particularly influential shareholder advisory firm, has thrown its weight behind the Central …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. NoneSuch Silver badge

One stockholder speaks

Apple is hesitant to reveal succession because they know no one will ever be able to fill the shoes of His Holiness the Jobs.

When you refer to someone as 'Messianic' you know the marketing department has gone too damn far.

Apple investors (and yes I am one and have been for many years) want a solid business approach founded in practical principles and practises; not a strategy based on a cult of personality. No business should depend on just one person.

1. Marcus Aurelius
      WTF?

Apple doesn't depend on one person

It just markets itself as if it does.

Apple did perfectly ok when Tim Cook was in charge last time so I see no reason why it won't this time, so the shoe filling isn't a problem. The main thing Apple needs to ensure is that there is a pool of talented executives who know how the company ticks, so there are options in the future.

2. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    Thumb Down

Just look at Microsoft...

Running around like a headless chicken with Ballmer at the helm.

'Tis to be avoided where possible.

3. JaitcH
    WTF?

Jobs' messianic status challenged

and, hopefully, this will result in Apple governance ad opting traditional values used by most other public companies.

Head hunters intent on capturing what passes for Apple talent can be rebuffed by offering shares redeemable at a future time (measured in years).

1. thecakeis(not)alie

"Traditional values used by most other public companies."

Most companies, (including Apple) have no values. They are soulless blood-sucking vampires that prey on the weak and care nothing for either their customers or their employees. If you are in fact actually proposing that this state of affairs is a good thing...then fuck you, sir.

Fuck you very much.

4. dssf

Stop deifying a MAN!

Damn, I am crazy about Linux, Open Source, and many apps but I'm not going to kiss the feet of Torvalds, Stallman, and the rest of the developers and advocates.

Stop deifying a MAN. He is an SPF: Single Point of Failure. Apple will survive HOWever/WHENever his demise arrives. Get a life.

But, what I'd like to know is the ratio of internal laughing to supernova seething that happened to iPhone fans when the HTC EVO vs iPhone vid went viral. And, for Best Buy to fire the creator of that cartoon... just heinous. I hope he is making money off of clicks more than he did from bb.

1. JEDIDIAH
      Linux

A really big pile of cash.

...except it's not clear that Apple will survive in his absence. It's current ascendancy occoured under his management as did the company's initial rise. People with money in the company have a right to be worried. Some of them even have a duty to be worried.

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

"opting traditional values used by most other public companies..."

ODFO.

6. Tempest
    WTF?

Three possible solutions for the disappearing Jobs connundrum

(1) Appoint a real, live replacement;

(2) Do a MOU, Tze-Tung or HO, Chi-Minh job on him and keep him in glass box for consultations;

(3) Get one of those UK holographic airport devices as an emulation of the real thing

7. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

I hear...

... Mr William Gates has a bit of free time

8. Oninoshiko
    Jobs Halo

I think they are going with the N Korea approch

you know, contenuing to be CEO for a lifetime after his death, with what would be his sucessor making all the decisions.

9. alwarming
    Joke

Apple pressed to show succession plan

Pressed apple gives cider.

10. Fr. Ted Crilly Silver badge
    Alert

Well

Perhaps they could get Sculley back for a go at then helm...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like