back to article Vodafone says sorry for pro-Mubarak messages

As protests continue both for and against the continued rule of Hosni Mubarak, Vodafone Egypt has apologised to its subscribers who have received a stream of pro-government text messages. Vodafone, along with other networks, found its services blocked in Egypt as the government tried to stymie reform protests. But it has now …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. crowley

Redemption

Nice effort to redeem themselves, that free credit bit.

Shame they couldn't use their systems to prefix all the propaganda text messages with some indication of the source - I get texts from 'Vodafone' and 'Voicemail' without any such entries in my contacts, so forcing an ID of 'Mubarak' shouldn't be hard for them.

1. Mark61
      Grenade

Alternatively...

...they should follow all government texts with a separate text from Vodafone that states that "we were obliged to send the previous message...." etc etc.

Burying a press statement on their global corporate site (I note, nothing on www.vodafone.com.eg) is a bit of a cop-out.

2. Nev

They'll probably find a way to...

.... write this off against tax somewhere.

1. Rob Moir
      WTF?

your point being...

... that it's wrong to give unless it actually does hurt?

2. Mike007 Bronze badge

@tax

they don't need to worry about the hassle of working out how best to write it off against tax, it's much easier to just not bother paying the tax bill when it arrives

3. Levente Szileszky

Entire Egypt is run under "Emergency Law" for 30 years...

... which provides farcical cover for this coward crooked piece of sh!t dictator called Mubarak and his rotten ilks to regularly beat up, torture and execute people so no wonder if they can use your mobile network as they see fit, corrupt Vodafone.

My old question again: how long we'll supply high-tech for these Mubarak-like disgusting thugs and their regimes and why?

4. Whitter
    Thumb Down

Follow the money

Vodaphone don't like everything to be tracable to source: like tax revenues for example...

5. Sean Bailey

@Whitter

The tax argument is getting real old now. They were given a bill, they disputed it. It was reduced. Simplified version but effectively what happened.

I received my tax code, disputed it and it was changed. When are the protestors going to turn up outside my house?

1. Jabbra
      Grenade

In Fairness

i'm pretty sure you owed a bit less than £6,000,000,000,000.

6. eSeM

I'll Be Requesting a Refund .....

Arrived in Luxror on the 26th and bought a sim + 500mb of data from Vodafone. I could access my email but could not access any of the google services, search, maps, gmail etc.

On the 27th I picked up some email but later in the evening the internet connection got switched off completely.

On the 30th the Vodafone voice network was switched off..... but they did send me a nice txt message that I will get translated.

I will be seeking a refund of the £7 ..... just to piss Vodafone off.

(Luxor is such a beautiful city, even more so when there are so few tourists around ;) )

Steven M

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like