back to article New auto-crowd tech writes better articles than pro writers TRUE

Crowdsourced teams can write informational articles better than what single individual journalist writers can, say scientists at Carnegie Mellon University School of Computer Science Human-Computer Interaction Institute (CMUSCSHCII) which is a top institution of human-computer interactions science. "This is exciting because …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom_

Aniket

Google image search for 'aniket' seems to return mostly blokes.

FACT.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Lazy buggers

"Kittur is an assistant professor at the CMUSCSHCII, first name Aniket. We don't know if this is a woman or a man."

Well, either laziness or a lame "aren't these foreign names funny" humour attempt.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=aniket+kittur&l=1

1. Frank Bough

They're "journalists"...

...they think they're entitled to be paid* every time they touch their stupid keyboards.

*20p, please.

2. Ammaross Danan
      FAIL

Lazy

Lazy would be posting a link to say "type it into Google," but not doing it yourself and realizing there's a flood of stuff on the guy, but very few actual pictures. Not to mention verifying they're of the correct guy, especially when he goes by "Niki":

http://hci.stanford.edu/courses/cs547/speaker.php?date=2011-02-04

3. TeeCee Gold badge
    Alien

WTF?

Have you got amanfromMars on staff now?

1. thecakeis(not)alie

That would be

awesome.

4. Andy Watt
    FAIL

Was this entire article written that way?

Seriously, so many grammar errors... I can see this system would generate a highly uniform low-quality output, with no chance for an outstanding article.

1. Jamie Kitson

Yes

I think that was the joke. I guess they needed the THIS IS A JOKE tag at the top in a clear font.

5. A. Lewis
    FAIL

But it's not the first of April.

Also, "CMUSCSHCII"? Seriously, that was the best acronym they could come up with?

6. BorkedAgain
    Happy

Brilliant.

@Andy et al - Yes, I rather suspect it was, and that might have been the point. Go see if Wikipedia has anything about "Satire"

I started smiling one paragraph in, and was grinning like a chimp by the end. Nicely done.

7. John I'm only dancing

Words and letters

Gives 'Turking' a whole new meaning. On second thoughts, no it doesn't.

8. crowley
    FAIL

Editing overhead

Well, it's just going to invoke Amdahl's Law - but with parallel writers instead of CPU's.

"European readers: there are 100 cents in a US American dollar, which is worth a variable amount compared to your Euros pounds roubles etc."

Fuck you! (aimed at the individual Turkey responsible, not the entire Reg team!)

9. Tree Surgeon.
    FAIL

Impressive waste of time

See title. Humour attempt failed, news attempt also failed. Re-write this without taking the piss so much, maybe?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

seems like its time...

to get an infinite number of monkeys/keyboards/etc etc

11. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Can we have a facepalm icon please?

For AC@12.36, TeeCee and Andy Watt.

12. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

So..

I guess those at CMU are the type that don't read the manual?

Case in point...

A client of mine had crowd sourced a release manual for an internal software project.

Since most of the work was offshored, the developers who wrote the code were not native English speakers. Since the contract worker responsible for prepping the manual was also not a native English speaker, what you ended up with is a bunch of poorly written paragraphs that weren't organized and impossible to read. In short it was a joke.

The point is that you may be able to get more facts by crowd sourcing, yet an article must also tell a story and that requires someone who has taken some English writing courses as well as had some experience.

A news story is *MORE* than just the facts.

13. Naughtyhorse

CMUSCSHCII

get the fuck out of here!

really???

14. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

ʇı ɟo pɹoʍ ʎɹǝʌǝ ,uıʌoן

"By Team Register", obviously.

Wonderful, and it's not even Friday.

15. yairmohr
    Thumb Up

5 Stars!

This is one of your funniest articles since... February 2011 at least, Lester.

I still don't understand half of it, even after reading every word several times...

Now, if every one of your alter-egos got 50 pennies for writing it - what do I get for reading it all? (-;

Keep up the good work!

16. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

As a CMU graduate

I have to thank Lester for giving this story and HCII the respect they both deserve. Actually, I was going to be very cross that El Reg would stoop as low as to refer to HCI as a science (yes, there is some very interesting work that is done in that field, but the art and design components dominate the science and engineering aspects), but then I realized that this was probably intentional.

Seriously, they claim that the aggregate cost of answering 30 questions is the same as writing an article that answers those questions. Hmm, how about the cost of identifying the questions first, and stitching the answers together at the end (I believe some people call this editing). I took a few classes in HCII and this reaffirms my general opinion of them.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

A+++++++ Troll would troll again

I love the way that not only did the article read like it had been crowdsourced, but it also had that beautifully-baited hook about not knowing if Aniket was a woman or a man in order to get commentards to rush off and try and crowdsource information for it!

18. Steen Hive
    Joke

Wow

Bar the comment link, it scans uncannily like Andrew O. ;-)

19. thecakeis(not)alie

But what was the question?

20. Maryland, USA
    Thumb Down

Fine, if "good enough" is good enough

When I took a master's level class in Technical Journalism, our professor began by teaching the five Ws (Who, When, Where, What, Why). Your first sentence, he added, must summarize what your story is about.

I asked, "If you were to survey Pulitzer Prize-winning science articles, how many would obey these rules?" Our prof smiled broadly. "You're right, Maryland, USA. These guidelines will help you create serviceable writing. They're not what you'd folllow to pen great writing."

21. El Cid Campeador
    WTF?

Wait this is new?

Hasn't amanfrommars been active for quite a while now? Manuals are bad enough without having them read like one of his posts....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like