back to article Nokia unleashes N82 smartphone multimedia computer

Nokia has rolled out the rumoured extension to the N series line-up, a candybar alternative to the N95 sliderphone, dubbed the N82. Nokia_N82 N82: multimedia computer Rumoured to be in production since August, the N82’s appearance confirms the majority of features originally leaked. It boasts a five-megapixel camera with a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mike

Sony Ericsson K850i?

Looks like SE and Nokia have been reading from the same requirements document!

Interesting that SE hasn't caught on to GPS yet though, which does give the Nokia the edge here.

2. Lloyd
    Thumb Up

Thank God for that

My N95 is really starting to get up my nose, the damn thing won't lock properly, every time the slider moves even slightly the phone unlocks. I unwittingly phoned 2 people whilst walking to the station this morning, if they'd made it like the N91 which has a lock button on the side it would've been a lot more useful.

3. David Evans
    Thumb Down

Woo-hoo.

Super. Now does it have the same appalling battery life as the N95? "Multimedia Computer" is right, unfortunately for all intents and purposes, its a desktop computer.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Halo

Steve Jobs was right

Turn off the 3G and then see what your battery life is like. I don't know of any reasonably sized smartphone with 3G that has decent battery life.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Got the N95's problems?

When you look at the N95 memory spec (128Mb) you might think it has enough to multi-task, but the kind of thing you're only going to find out when you've got one is that only half of it useful for running programs, the other half is just storage.

For that & releasing firmware which just hasn't been debugged (4-5 crashes a day) I won't be getting a Nokia again.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Incredible

So it's basically a N95 that looks like a SE? Wow, Nokia just managed to put TWO things I don't want into ONE product. If that's not convenience I don't know what is. It seems the Pearl II has finally been released?

7. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Crap comments

SE is getting into GPS: they now have a plugin GPS unit with some rudimentary text-based directions, but Nokia really is ahead and I'm seriously thinking of getting a Nokia 6100 because of the GPS. But I suspect I'm in a minortiy. SE is head and shoulders above the rest when it comes to camera software and I think that might be slightly more important for the market.

As for battery life: if you think 3G is bad, try WiFi which has no power management or even channel conflict management capability. When it comes to transmitting data there are simple laws which govern how much power is used: you always require more power to transmit more data using a specific technology but 3G is a fuck of a lot more efficient than WiFi. I'm sitting here on a hotel wifi connection which might be suffering a teensy bit because I can see ten other networks. Not doing much for my battery life. :-(

8. Josh Cain

bummer

It's interesting to see what others are saying about their N95's, as I've apparently had a string of good luck with my handset. No lock ups, no memory issues, slider is built solidly and gives no issues with creaking open or closed.

Now, having had an N73 as my previous handset, I can say my only complaint with the N95 thus far is the battery life, but I have yet to actually kill the battery in a day full of heavy usage (read: watching full length movies, listening to music, reading ebooks, and talking 2+hours on the phone over the span of a day). This is also with bluetooth on, and wifi usage (but not continual scanning).

Other than the small complaint of the battery, I've been continuously impressed with improved performance as far as speed of apps loading and pure functionality of the handset itself.

Granted, the first thing I did once I got the handset was plug it in and upgrade the firmware.

9. Cormac

Still love my e90

E90 has been great phone had it for 5 months now ( live in finland :) ) not one problem with it .. battery seems to last good too , if u have the wifi switched off.

10. Danny

RE Josh

Same here. I have had no problems at all with this excellent bit of kit. Maybe we are just the lucky ones?

As for the battery life. I bought a 3rd party 1350mAh battery for mine. It makes the phone slightly bigger, but extends the life by hours

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

better than K850i

SE are lacking behind Nokia, when only a few years ago they use to be ahead.

With great TV out, 3.5mm headphone socket (will Sony ever learn this) and far better video recording. I think I will stick with Nokia these days.

I can't live without the usefulness of GPS now, so will be looking into this once the reviews can say about battery life and quaity of the GPS.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

RE: Steve Jobs was right

how the f**k would Jobs know?! his phone doesn't have 3G!

titter.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like