back to article Sulky fans biggest threat to gaming, says Black Ops developer

Activision has expanded its content for Call of Duty: Black Ops, with a handful of downloadable multiplayer maps, even as an executive from the game's developer, Treyarch, slammed certain fans for stifling industry creativity. Treyarch's First Strike gives players five fresh maps set around the globe: Berlin Wall gives …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ian 62

Sony Double teamed by MS

Sony get it twice from Microsoft.

"Microsoft has penned an exclusivity deal for publishing all downloadable content (DLC) first, but complaints say multiplayer doesn't function properly on PS3 anyway, so what's the point?"

Well if COD actually works on the XBOX, and MS are getting the exclusive deal on DLC. I'd say the PS3 version isn't going to sell much. So its an incentinve to buy an XBOX if you are on the fence but interested in COD

2. Chris 2
    WTF?

"creativity and game innovation"

Honestly, someone who worked on Codblops is whining about "creativity and game innovation"? You could always try putting some into the game, you know. Maybe people would like it.

Or is he saying the reason it's so utterly inane and by-the-numbers is because they weren't allowed to put any innovation into it?

3. Tom 15

Eh?

Treyarch? Innovation? Pull the other one...

4. Andy Fletcher

Hogwash

Black Ops isn't perfect (I'm on PS3). I was pretty sure it wouldn't be before I bought it - nothing ever is. It didn't stop me buying it though. All the people who complain about it bought it too. And 99.9% of them will buy the next COD title too, regardless of what they say about this one.

May a tactical nuke strike me down if I am wrong.

1. Your Handle, my Handle, it's all good
      Unhappy

Sorry but I don't agree

I know it's a different game and genre but ...

I bought Fallout: New Vegas and played until reaching level 20-odds before the bugs and random crashing made the game too frustrating to continue (having to wear a beat up cowboy hat to get through a gate or my xbox crashes is rediculous, all it takes is to forget to put the thing on and down goes your machine).

I sent a complaint in to Bethusda and got no reply, they even released a patch to fix half of the problems but it just didn't fix enough of them, simply put: I'll not buy another Bethusda product and I'm sickened that I have that game sitting there.

Irrespective of who's to blame - the developers, the bean counters, the cultural influences of the gaming community - the fact is that I bought a game that seriousley dissappointed me, which will make me take my money elsewhere in the future.

Perhaps I'll be the exception, not the rule, but perhaps not ...

Oh, and another thing - I got Black ops for xmas and not had any problems with it but I still think Josh Olin's comments are rediculous, what a dick!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Andy Fletcher - you are part right

I bought FO3 and although I generally loved it as a game, I was very disappointed with the serious stability problems.

So, when FO:NV came out I waited a while before buying it. This meant not only did I wait until the serious bugs were squashed but I only paid something like £14 for it rather than the full price of £30-£40. I think £14 for the current (still buggy) product is about fair.

OK, I bought the game, which helps Bethesda's bottom line and sales figures, but by a lot less than if FO3 had been mostly bug free. Equally so given the bugs still present in FO:NV I will not buy the next FO title until it has been out some while and is down to a price I would be willing to pay for a game I expect to be as buggy as FO3 and FO:NV.

The same goes for Skyrim (Elder Scrolls V - also by Bethesda) - I am really looking forward to that game, but I am pretty certain it will be a buggy mass of crap on release so I'll initially keep hold of my hard-earned, probably until the January sales (Skyrim is released 11/11/11) when it will be at a price I am happy to pay.

So, make of that what you will, I suppose. Maybe Bethesda will learn, and maybe they won't, but whichever way you look at it me paying £20 less than the retail price for the game has to hurt the developers: either some or all of it comes off their profit so they will get less cash directly or the reduction is borne by the retailer who will purchase fewer copies of the next release. Or a mixture of the two.

5. Avatar of They
    WTF?

Angry fans stunt growth???

Angry fans complain that development is shite.

Besides his argument is flawed. Cod 4 BO isn't new anyway, it is a rehash of the engine from modern warfare 2, with sort of new maps and a few new skins for existing and already tried and tested weapons. So what has been tried that is new????? It is a generic game created by a team and churned out onto other formats, badly.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Community

What the community wants is a FPS that the players can created a dedicated servers, that the players can create maps, that the players can create mods.

Like they used to do with COD and COD2.

Like they used to do with the original Medal of Honor series.

Activision is just cashing in on the name Call of Duty.

7. Citizen Kaned

never played cod but...

well, i played the old ones on pc.

the thing is now that publishers and game houses just churn out the same buggy shite over and over. look at EA. that's what we are pissed off over!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Just thinking out loud..

But have you ever tried releasing a game that worked out the box, first time? A novel concept, I know; but just curious.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Super mario Galaxy 2

Super mario Galaxy 2 was released last year, works wonderfully well, out of the box, no patches. Nominated 9and won) many Game of the Year awards

1. Anonymous Coward
        WTF?

@Super Mario Galaxy 2

Sure, and a good game it was. Nintendo have a reputation for releasing good games, especially on the Wii.

I do fail to see how this is applicable to Activision and their shockingly bad quality controls though..?

9. CD001

OTOH

I just bought "Monday Night Combat" on Steam - it's an XboX port so I was somewhat wary ... but it's actually really, really good (apart from the server browser, that's iffy). Think Team Fortress 2 meets Tower Defence and you're about there.

It's an indie game, it only costs a tenner, it's great fun (and has slightly more depth than you'd imagine) - what's not to like?

Creativity isn't being stifled by "angry gamers" - it's the big companies not being prepared to take risks and just rehashing the same old formats over and over again, stifling creativity themselves that is, in part, WHY you get people bitching about the game when it isn't 100% perfect - it's not like it's a new formula or even, in most cases, new technology (various underlying engines will have been bought in or built on top of existing ones). Even Monday Night Combat runs on some version of the Unreal engine - but at least the game itself is innovative.

10. Jon Double Nice

I think there should be a level

set on a train or something, completely ludicrous tight quarter combat with nowhere to hide.

11. dipopo

Olin-who from where!!??

Quite clearly this individual Olin is STUPID!!........People like myself who have been with Call Of Duty since it's inception have no idea what they were talking about!?

Does Olin play the game at all!?........If he shelled out £40+ for an un-finished game bugged to hell with latency and other issues that should NEVER have got beyond QC, then have some pretentious management class IDIOT give baseless reprimands because he feels we should suck it up and hand over the cash as he expected!!!

Olin, because of people like you.......I now play Borderlands, much better less lag and you know what.....it was money well spent.

12. RyokuMas
    Megaphone

If you don't like it...

... then, as CD001 says, buy an indie game! Or better yet, buy three or four for the price of a big commercial release!

Jeff Minter got it right in the early 90s - since the Men in Suits got their teeth into computer games, originality has gradually been squeezed out by The Formulae of mass marketing - after all, they're interested in making profit, not games!

So if you want a game from someone whose focus is the game rather than the bank balance, buy indie and send the message to the Men in Suits - or better yet, make your own game!

13. Ben Rosenthal

Innovation?

He uses that word, but I do not think it means what he thinks it means.

14. C Yates
    Pint

Black ops reminds me a lot of COD5: World at war

There's this whole feeling of it being the 'halfway' thing before the next good COD game comes out... kinda like what Vista was to 7. But I guess this is what happens when you try to goad your dev's into rushing a new version out each year to milk the franchise - it lacks love.

There're a lot of good features; I like not instantly dying everytime some git summons a helicopter for instance - a good nerf for those who don't dedicate their whole life to learning everything about the game just to enjoy it. The whole game just seems to lack polish for me...

15. Darryl

That's a good one

We sell you shit because you bitch about the shit we sell you.

Have to remember that argument

16. OrsonX
    Unhappy

Games should just work "out of the box"

Like Civillisation V

er, oh no wait, scratch that...

[sorry, off topic, but just wanted to moan!]

Firaxis sold us all the Civ V beta for £50, feckers!

17. CmdrX3
    FAIL

You better believe it...

Angry gamers is fucking right on. Two copies of that shitty excuse of a game for two pc's I bought and it lags like a bitch on both. Buggiest junk I've ever bought so when it comes to DLC, as far as I'm concerned they can shove it where the sun don't shine. I'll use my tenner for BC2 Vietnam thank you very much and as for any future versions of CoD.... they can join the DLC in the sunless area.

18. Goat Jam
    FAIL

Creativity and Innovation in the gaming industry.

MIA since about 1998.

I have no idea what this guy is on about. Perhaps he should put some effort into producing a game that does not require the player to charge full frontal assault style through a "play corridor" just to reach the next trigger point that turns off the infinite spawn point just up ahead meaning the game is over in a matter of hours.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I agree with Josh Olin

Blaming others for your own failure DOES make you feel a lot better. Let's see what the shareholders think...

This topic is closed for new posts.