back to article Yahoo! mail servers blamed for WinPho 7 data spew bug

Microsoft's own Mail app and Yahoo! Mail have been implicated by the software giant as the cause of the Windows Phone 7 bug that has caused some handsets to rack up users' data transfer tallies. Microsoft last night blamed an "inefficiency" in the way its Windows Phone Mail app talks to Yahoo! Mail. The result: "larger than …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

I'm not buying this

Compare the number of users reporting the issue against the number of users using Yahoo! mail...

Unless of course the issue is for ALL IMAP accounts...

(Yes, I'm the other WP7 user)

1. Jim Coleman
      Unhappy

Well...

People will only be reporting the issue if...

1) They use Yahoo mail

2) They use IMAP to access Yahoo mail

3) They have high volumes of emails

4) They are checking their data usage

5) They actually notice their usage has gone up a lot

6) They sync with Yahoo often

7) They back-sync more than a couple of days

So, quite a narrow section of the WP7 using fraternity then.

And yes I'm another WP7 user, but I'm using Hotmail so no problems from my end.

If Yahoo are not implementing the IMAP protocol correctly, and it certainly sounds like they aren't, then it's definitely not Microsoft's fault. Although you would have thought that MS would have discovered the fault in pre-production tests, and that they would have released this info a lot sooner to those affected and presumably paying excesses on their data plans.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

People will only be reporting the issue if...

8) They realise they're using unreasonably high bandwidth.

9) They post it somewhere widely accessible, rather than just contacting their provider or MS.

I find it amusing that MS may be inconvenienced by someone else not complying with standards.

2. Balorm

Plausible

While maybe not the only cause, it does strike me as possible. When I connected my Windows Mobile 6.1 phone to Yahoo with IMAP, it frequently tried to download my entire Yahoo mailbox despite being set to grab on the last two days.

3. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

I'm not buying this

Yahoo have written bad code that only affects winpho.. hmm really? just how many other phones are having problems with yahoo? doesn't sound like a yahoo problem to me... sound like MSpin to me.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like