back to article Intel consigns Cornish town to oblivion

You know things are bad when something's value is predicated by its standing in the Google search rankings, but that's exactly what's happening down at the Cornish town of Penryn - apparently consigned to oblivion by Intel's chip of the same name. This is Cornwall explains: "A week ago, typing Penryn into the Google search …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jack Garnham

Oh please...

Do people have nothing better to do than complain about one measly "Penryn" article ranking above their town's website on a Google search?

It's only a Reg Hardware article! Who reads that e-toiletpaper, anyway?

Hang on...

2. James

Nonsense

Web users are not actually as retarded as the people of Penryn seem to think. If I wanted information about the town of Penryn in Cornwall, sure I would first enter "penryn" into google, but that only returned results about a technology product, I wouldn't assume that penryn no longer existed, I'd try "penryn cornwall", "penryn town" or "penryn holiday" all of which turn up no mention of intel. I'm a web developer and I know that people will simply enter different search terms if they don't get what the want in the first ten result of their first search.

3. Richard

Here's my two Penrynce's worth...

An Intel spokesperson said, ""It's just a codename that we're using - we have no plans whatsoever to use it as a brand. Once we start using the official product name of 'Newquay', everything will calm down for the locals there."

4. Nick

And what's the first hit?

The top of a search on penryn is El Reg's very own reghardware site! Expect to see yourselves banned from Cornwall!

5. Tim

No big loss

Living in Falmouth I feel obliged to say that it's no great loss. Plus it's not such a big place anywhere I doubt there will be any multinational companies going out of business because they don't get enough web hits.

6. Simon Bache

El Reg consigns Cornish town to oblivion

Doh!

Penryn the town now appears only third on a plain Google search. Beaten by two articles from Reg Hardware.

You bullies.....

7. Andrew

And who comes up 1st

a quick google search and it seems el'Reg is the top of the list to knock Penryn down :D

Intel samples 45nm 'Penryn' | Reg Hardware

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. adnim

To be expected

Google have a habit these days of placing the most financially attractive links(for Google shareholders) at the top or even on the first few pages of a search result.

Search for any product by model number/name only and you will be lucky if the results returned are anything more than revenue generating links to third party price guide sites, all of which are full of ads and tracking cookies. The results contained therein are not at all specific, but are rather generalisations on the original search term.

Google was once a true search engine, a general search term often produced the specific result required.

Now as is the sad way with many large corporations, revenue generation, profits and happy shareholders come way above integrity. With due respect, we should really be focusing on problem cause and perhaps cure rather than complaining about the symptoms.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Get Ya tinfoil hats!

"Google have a habit these days of placing the most financially attractive links(for Google shareholders) at the top or even on the first few pages of a search result."

Umm, could that be because there are far more links to, hits for and interest in cutting edge technology from a global brand than there is for a small Cornish Town?

Na. Cant be that. It must be the Lizard Men promoting there gole of wipeing out small towns by using the New World Order to slowly distroy the profitability of EComerce by reducing there Google ranking, going one town at a time.

11. Curufinwe

Adding insult to injury

To add insult to injury, the chip isn't even named after the Cornish town. It's named after a rural locale in the Sierra foothils of California.

http://blogs.intel.com/technology/2007/04/penryn.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penryn,_California

12. bob

Penryn is local to Folsom

I drive past the Folsom intel facility at least twice every day.

It seems they have been picking the names of towns from around here. So we have Penryn. Some guesses for code names, Newcastle, Auburn, Rocklin, Ophir, Coloma, Georgetown, Foresthill etc etc.

My family is from this area, the newcastle auburn and penryn area.

13. adnim

Tinfoil hats, so easily made: must not cover eyes.

"Umm, could that be because there are far more links to, hits for and interest in cutting edge technology from a global brand than there is for a small Cornish Town?"

Most likely, at least in this instance. Is this not obvious to you?

It certainly was to me, I used my opportunity to respond to this article as comment on general Google behaviour. You used your opportunity to respond to this article as a humorless dig at me whilst hiding behind anonymity, well done.

BTW, I live in the UK and I have tried several gauges(thickness) of tinfoil and sheet aluminium to make my hats, but alas, this approach just does not work against cameras.

14. Tim Bates

What about Brisbane?

What ever will become of all the citizens of Queensland's capital city, Brisbane when all the AMD fans are looking for that term?

Personally, I'm waiting for my home town to come up as a codename for a CPU... Intel, AMD, Via... Who cares.... I'll buy one just cause it's got the codename.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like