back to article John Barry dies at 77

Composer John Barry has died at the age of 77, following an illustrious career which encompassed work on The Ipcress File, Midnight Cowboy, Zulu, Born Free and Dances With Wolves. His family announced in a statement: "It is with great sadness that the family of composer John Barry announce his passing on the 30th of January …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Martin Milan
    Unhappy

Sad news...

I love some of his music... Dances with Wolves was brilliant, but if you really want your socks blown off, listen to the music he did for Raise The Titanic. His track "All That's Left", for me, absolutely screams Titanic...

1. teacake

@Raise the Titanic

Love the score for Raise the Titanic, was listening to it only the other day. I loved the score for Black Hole too.

2. andy gibson

hope they repeat the Bond music documentary

He featured heavily in that, complete with his strong Yorkshire accent!

A great man, his music will live on.

3. EddieD

The Persuaders

Still my favourite of his toons.

As with Ronnie Hazlehurst, you don't realise either how good these guys are, or how much of what you have seen has been enhanced by their work.

4. Graham Marsden
    Happy

I hope...

... someone's checked the validity of his wikipedia page...

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Coat

Re: I hope....

Wow, all that great music, a skilled lion-tamer and the inventor of the electric pepper mill too. Who'd have guessed eh?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

OHMSS

The best part of the ill-fated George Lazenby Bond film is the song, "We Have All The Time In The World", the last song ever recorded by the incomparable Louis Armstrong. John Barry's music was the saving grace of many a film - but in my opinion that single piece of music (my ring tone, incidentally) is probably one of the best he ever wrote.

John Barry, you will be missed.

6. peyton?
    Heart

Have to mention

Out of Africa and The Lion in Winter - two of my all time favorite soundtracks (and he won an Oscar for each!)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

He'll be remembered for Bond ...

... but his soundtrack for "The Ipcress File" is, for my money, about the best thing he ever did; it took a good film and turned it into a bloody brilliant one, and I'm not exactly a fan of the whole 'spy film' genre.

RIP - about the only famous musician to come from York[1]

[1] - Shed Seven don't count.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

RIP

Condolences to family.

9. Handle this!
    Heart

Have to mention #2

Back to Nature from the film Walkabout is one of my favorite tunes by the great man.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like