back to article MSI Windows webpad goes on sale

How much would you pay for a 10in tablet running Windows 7 Home Premium? Whatever your answer, you could still be asked to pay as much as £650 for MSI's WindPad 100, which is just such a gadget. MSI WindPad 100W To be fair, retailer Simply Electronics will actually lighten your wallet by only £500, claiming that the £150 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Marky W
    Coat

WindPad?

First thing I thought of was the GasBGone 'Silent but Deadly' charcoal filled cushion.

No, really:

https://www.dairiair.com/cart/product.php?productid=16140&cat=249&page=1

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WindPad?

Sounds like a cushion filled with activated-charcoal.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

yeah, windpad

I am not in marketing, but that name has got to be a big loser

3. EddieD

SD card slot...

I wonder if you can use ReadyBoost.

Meh, tablets are soooo 2010....

4. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Halo

Price

"Still, even at £500, the tablet / is expensive given it's essentially just a netbook minus a keyboard."

Isn't that what tablets are? Minus a proper OS too. Apple seem to be doing a good job of selling them for twice the price of a netbook...

5. Code Monkey
    Thumb Down

No thanks

I can wedge doors open for a lot less than £500 plus virus scanner.

6. JDX Gold badge

Virus scanner?

Get MSE, it's free.

£500 doesn't seem half bad to me. It's hardly a netBook minus keybpoard, they also had to fit in a 10" touchpad screen.

I wonder, how does W7 cope with supplying a virtual keyboard? Is it a built-in option of the OS?

Any chance of a proper review rather than a rather tired attempt at a joke?

1. amehaye
      FAIL

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

The tired attempt at a joke is this product. Come on, Windows on a tablet is an old sad joke. If you want a tablet get an iPad or an Android.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

@Code Monkey

I'm sure you'd make a very effective draft excluder too :)

8. Cucumber C Face
    WTF?

WTF indeed

"Still even at £600 the iPad is expensive given it's essentially just a phone minus the phone and the camera."

FFS this webpad has a grown up OS, a camera, a 32gb SSD and {gasp} a USB port even.

The big question - is the OS too grown up for it? But if this thing can manage any kind of performance it's not leaving Apple any room for complacency.

9. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Windbag ?

Oh sorry misread the the headline banner.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

"essentially just a netbook minus a keyboard"?

But still more powerful and OPEN than apple's shitepad. I can run whatever Windows software I like on this. Not just limited to the apps that Jobs allows me to use. Also running a "full" OS, not just a limited mobile phone OS!

11. Jean-Paul

Oh dear

some manufacturers really really don't get it do they.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Hopes this gets saved as I am happily eating humble pie when this piece of junk ever sells 7.3 million units per quarter.

12. Sean Baggaley 1

I just saw one of these in a local (indie) computer shop here in Italy.

Specs on the box confirmed it is indeed Atom-based (so that'd be Intel graphics too), 32GB "SSD" storage, Windows Home Ultimate and the 10"-ish screen resolution matches that in the article.

Asking price here was €500 (incl. the usual 20% IVA—the Italian version of VAT). Make of that what you will.

I've also laid house bricks that were lighter than this beast, too. Underwhelming about sums it up.

13. Christian Berger

The main feature of a Windows tablet...

is that you can probably just install any operating system on it. If you like Windows, just install your favourite version. Most people will probably just install some version of Ubuntu Linux. Then again, if you want to create your own system, just do it, the hardware is open.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

In Stock?

Yeh right! Simply Electronics also said they had Archos 101's in stock last November and then spent a nearly a month giving excuses as to why their logistics department hadn't been able to send one out, even though they 'definitely had one in stock assigned to me'. Order cancelations were met with the message ‘We are sorry you want to cancel, we really will have it to you soon can you confirm that you still want to cancel.’ In a loop.

15. Michael Jennings

Michael Jennings

*Which* Atom CPU is an important question. Netbooks with the dual core N550 go for about £320. Single core netbooks with an N450 or N455 with Windows 7 starter go for about a hundred quid less than that. If it is a dual core atom, you are paying an extra £180 or so you are getting a touch screen, a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium rather than starter (although in my experience Starter is fine on a machine of this power - most of the extras in the more expensive versions aren't useful on puny hardware like this), and 32Gb of flash rather than a (roughly) 250Gb hard drive. You can see where most of that money is going, although it is still expensive, and my guess is that the user experience on Windows 7 without a keyboard is horrible. And the screen resolution is still crap, and the aspect ratio is wrong for a tablet. And I wonder about the battery life. Is it closer to the two hours you get on many netbooks or the ten hours you get on an iPad?

If it is a single core Atom, though, the price is outrageous however you look at it.

16. Mage Silver badge

Thoughts

Even NT 3.51 had a not very good Virtual keyboard. I tested the NT 4.0 one with a wacom tablet.

I'd imagine Win7 has one.

I'd rather have netbook with either a slide up screen that covers keyboard, or one where keyboard swivels underneath. The keyboard/tablets with swivel in middle + hinge are fiddly, wobbly and fragile.

By time you add weight of decent screen and batteries, the keyboard isn't much extra weight.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

A netbook minus the keyboard?

The cpu, memory hard drive, etc are located under the keyboard too. So this is NOT a netbook minus a keyboard....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like