back to article Yuppie cellphone-style iPhone case comes to Blighty

Are you the type who wants to stand out from the modern iPhone user, yet refuses to use a different device? Then why not jump in the DeLorean and take it back to the 1980s with this yuppie-style iPhone case? The 80s phone from Thumbs Up wraps any iPhone 3, 3GS or 4 in a mound of plastic until just the screen remains, giving …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Robert E A Harvey

It's true

There must be one born every minute.

2. Kingprawn
    Paris Hilton

Why?

I just don't get it. Why would anyone want to pay for something like that. It'll end up costing you more as you'd have to splash out on bigger jeans to fit it in your pocket!

Paris: Because she likes things that slid in easy.

1. Player_16
      Alert

Pockets!?

...You must be very young.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

crap and iPhone

Why is it that all the shite you can think of is produced and offered to the iPhone crowd first?

Hmmmm...............

1. ThomH

It's market share

In four years, there have been only three shapes of iPhone, all of them very similar and with exactly the same size of screen. That makes the form factor extremely compared to the market for all other phones. Nobody else keeps their handsets in as similar a form and nobody else sells so many of a single handset (albeit if only because the main competitor is characterised by choice).

4. Marky W
    Heart

Cryogenically cool

This has to be the number one reason to get an iPhone.

Just brilliant.

1. Aaron Em

No accounting for bad taste

Bleah. That looks worse than those awful 80s brick-phones did in the first place.

5. Naughtyhorse

fashion tips...

for those who dont feel enough of a twat with just the jesus phone

6. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

As to why?

It's a 10 minute joke, a gift for someone, something to put on their desk... not meant for serious use!

Interesting to see if it takes battery life back to 1980s levels too... or is that just for the Android crowd?!! :-D

1. Wider Web
      Thumb Up

...why...

a 10000+ mAh battery would be useful :D

2. Tom 35
      Happy

Interesting to see if it takes battery life back to 1980s levels too

I don't think a hunk of plastic could make the iPhones battery last longer...

3. Ben Bawden

x

"Interesting to see if it takes battery life back to 1980s levels "

You mean it might increase it?

4. Anonymous Coward
      Alien

Au contraire...

Its meant for the time traveling wanker who wants to go back to the fun times in the '80s and still have their iPhone.

Unfortunately 80's phones were analog not digital. So while you'll have your contacts and camera, you couldn't really call anyone.

7. WonkoTheSane
    Joke

Added value

Should come with a pair of red braces!

1. The Fuzzy Wotnot
      Happy

And...

...a pair of "Buggles" glasses too!

8. Player_16
    Big Brother

One important item...

...Does it have a belt clip?

9. Steve Foster
    Joke

For all the previous commentards who asked "why?"...

...obvious, innit: it solves the "grip of death" problem, and has a handy external antenna to boost call reception to boot.

<eg>

10. The Indomitable Gall

Missed opportunity.

Stuff that thing with Li-ion and you've got one hell of an external battery pack.....

11. Joeykins
    Jobs Horns

in fairness

At least that case will prevent you from losing signal by holding it wrong...

12. MinionZero
    Pint

Going back to the 1980's

Ok I want to go back to the 1960's, so I need a plastic moulded full size portable red telephone box I can setup and step into on the street of my choice, to make my calls. :)

Its clearly a Friday news day. :)

Come to think of it, a full size moulded red telephone box would work great in the pub. :)

1. NogginTheNog
      Coat

1960's stylee?

Would this do?

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/cellphone/8928/

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BATTERY

Feasibly, a large battery with a usb input that a shortened iPhone cable could connect into (think of those iphone car chargers) could be used as an extra battery supply.

OR ideally you could buy a 1980s Mercedes S Class and permanently bolt the whole thing into it, and put an extra aerial on the bootlid.

OR connect several iphones together and have a retro "party-line".

The iphone interface should be remade in Teletext graphics for added effect.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

i dont belive

i dont belive even the mugs that buy a judas phone will be stupid enough to part with actual cash for this....

i am just waiting for the news on monday that crapple have issued a cease and desist notice...

i am getting my coat, the world has indeed gone mad...

15. LinkOfHyrule
    Coat

In 2040

In 2040, there's going to be an iPhone style case for your implanted comms/governmentz ID chip to enable you to look all "cool and retro". Not sure how it will work with the chip being inside your body but still it will be a talking point amongst you and your friends as you reminisce about those iPhone yuppies of the late noughties!

Mines the one lined with tin foil.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is this what it takes

to make the iPhone antenna work properly?

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wish it looked a little better...

Not too far off from MinionZero's idea, you can actually buy converted classic rotary dial phones, put a sim card in them, and then use them like a regular phones. If I had the extra money for a sole home line, I think I'd do it. It'd be fun.

This brick would be kind of an interesting item if it looked anything like the actual brick cell phones from back in the day. This thing looks like they way one might be drawn in a cartoon. Either way, "fun" pointless item.

18. Haku

Bananaphone

http://www.cellfoam.com/ - iPhone sized phones are too big though

P.S. Ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring bananaphone! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ4j-MBnLQo

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like