back to article Apple pledges green glasnost

Apple has pledged to be more open about the steps it's taking to become more environmentally responsible. But despite the company's claim to be greener than the likes of Dell, HP and Lenovo, its eco nemesis, Greenpeace, wasn't entirely satisfied with the move. Admitting that Apple hasn't done enough to let its stakeholders …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ruud Noorhoff

meh

Greenpeace says:

Today we saw something we've all been waiting for: the words "A Greener Apple" on the front page of Apple's site, with a message from Steve Jobs saying "Today we're changing our policy."

According to the Steve the policy that is changing is

"It is generally not Apple’s policy to trumpet our plans for the future; we tend to talk about the things we have just accomplished."

Trying to be greener is a policy that stays the same. It's bragging about it, like HP, Dell and such that's changing.

Is Greenpeace being dishonest, or am I just biased.

2. David Purveur

Green Apples

Personally I like my apples to be red and juicy but green will do.

I do have a serious point about Apples, they tend to last longer than your average PC and your average Mac user will hold on to older machines for longer. I currently use a G4 Powerbook and G4 PowerPC but I do still have my old PowerPC 6500 which is for my young daughters. It runs at a staggering 333mhz and is perfectly adequate.

Surely the longer shelf-life of its products has to count towards Apple's green credentials?

3. Clay Garland

Agreed.

If you read the entire article on Apple's site, some environmental watchdog has come up with a totally bogus formula to figure out the recycling percentage for PC's. The formula assumes a 7 year cycle for PC replacement. . . 7 years? I know people, ordinary people, old people, who are on their fourth Wintel box in as much time. While my grandfather is still using his CRT iMac that runs at a paltry 600MHz. Thing is, Windows boxes and their manufacturers, have convinced Joe Consumer that they are disposable, and they are treated as such. Most Macs, on the other hand, are likely either in the possession of their original owner, donated, or recycled. Once Apple's recycling plan ramps up, I don' see Windows PC's ever being recycled with the same frequency as Apple machine, not only because they are designed to be disposable, like a polystyrene coffee cup, but also because Mac users tend to err on the side of affluency, environmental awareness, and intelligence.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

7 years?!

Does that mean I can run Vista on a five year old PC? Don't mind me, it's just sour grapes.

But I would like to know if they are serving those green apples with a tawny port, oh some biscuits and a Stilton would be nice.

Cheers then

5. Ian McNee

Green Apples?

Here we go again: Jobs walks on water and the three wise Mac-buying monkeys will neither hear, see nor speak any evil about the 'non-corporate' Apple Inc.

What a load of tosh, Apple is a big corporation who's goal is profit like any other. Quite right that Greenpeace should target them as they are a self-professed 'holier than thou' leading light of the PC industry.

Oh and as for the lifetime of PCs compared to Macs I have lost count of the number of old PIIIs I have recycled/refurbished running XP or Linux for people who can't afford to buy one. And if any of the hardware in them fails standard replacement components are readily available.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like