back to article LinkedIn to go public this year

LinkedIn Corp confirmed yesterday that the company will go public this year. The decision by LinkedIn, which was founded in 2002, to snuggle up to Wall Street is significant because it's the first such social network to make the jump this year. Plenty of noises have been coming out of the Facebook camp, which recently …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

This explains

why the fuckers have been spamming me non-stop in the last few weeks about people I might know...

1. Rafael 1

spam

I'm thinking about joining in so they stop sending me invitations or whatever from people I met just minutes some years ago... several of those contacts were supposed to be students but never showed up in lectures.

2. Tony Green

spammers' paradise

I've noticed that notorious spammers like thinkpinkcartridges.co.uk, who don't even respond to the Information Commissioner's Office when they're complained about, have started using it as another conduit for their spam.

Took the arseholes at Linkedin the best part of a month to actually put my email address on a "do not contact" list - and that only after I kept mailbombing them to make the point.

2. Paul_Murphy

Given the economy at the moment.

It might be a sensible idea to scout out some alternative employment sources just in case.

I must admit that I had joined linkedin quite some time ago and had to recover my password since I hadn't used it for so long.

I haven't been spammed myself - just the one email.

ttfn

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Countdown to trashy stuff started

LinkedIn is going public ? Not long after that the quality of service and opportunity for abuse will no doubt go in diametrically opposite directions.

So thank you for warning me. Now I know that, as soon as I see anything fishy on LinkedIn, it'll be time to destroy that account.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

RE: Countdown to trashy stuff started

Detroy your account you say.

I wonder if that works in the same way as FB, in which you basically deny yourself access to your account which continues to be held on FB servers for all eternity!

4. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Is this irony? I can't tell.

"it's the first such social network to make the jump this year."

We're in January. I bet you could write "it's the first social network which name starts with L and ends with N to make the jump this year" in October.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Sick of this ...

They've been spamming me for months even though I "closed" my account (clue: you can't).

Its a vehicle for egomaniacs with too much time on their hands looking for praise from other egomaniacs -- either that or recruitment agency wonks trying to swell their CV baskets.

Completely useless, pain-in-the-arse spam-engine.

6. Paul_Murphy

One way to stop getting spam.

Aside from blocking/marking as spam or whatever mechanism you may have already.

Open up a 'one-time' gmail account (ie one that you don't need) or provider of your choice.

Go to the various sites (Facebook/ LinkedIn or whatever) and change your contact email address to the one-time account..

Acknowledge the address change (which may need to be confirmed on both).

Then forget the one-time account - or just don't bother with it again unless you need to.

Live life in peace and harmony - or whatever you were going to do with it before being bothered by spam.

ttfn

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

LinkedIn has become useless

Had to filter all mail from them to avoid being spammed with 10s of messages a day from LinkedIn. An account that never has been registered with LinkedIn receives as much crap as one that has been. Morale isn't high with these ad-revenue-driven guys, and address-harvesting is probably a high-values tool of theirs.

8. James Woods

im wondering now

i've gotten these stupid requests as well.

Im wondering if the people are actually making them or if li is automatically sending them.

These figures these companies throw out are so bogus it's laughable.

It's like a newspaper saying how many copies they deliver daily. They don't factor in the "freebies" they send out. So while they are distributing 10,000 4,000 may have been free.

I quit linkedin after being spammed and have been considering rejoining after some invites but perhaps those weren't sent by those people.

I consider the act of you being contacted for an "invite" for a social network that you do not belong to; to be spam and will usually flag it as such.

The spammers for years have used 'greeting card' websites to send spam from and it's only a matter of time until li really has some issues on it's hands because most of the stuff on linkedin really isn't verified so you could end up with rogue impersonation.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: im wondering now

If it's a request to connect, then the person has made it personally. If it's a list of people with the title "You might know these..." then it's linkedin spam.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like