back to article US cyberwar firing range to demo by July

DARPA has announced that its planned "National Cyber Range" – an artificial, sealed-off internet inhabited by simulated nodes, computers, sysadmins, users etc in which the USA can test-fire cyber weapons and practice cyber combat – is to reach demonstration status by July this year. Lockheed Martin, working on the Range on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

God help us....

"BT and the British tentacle of US defence mammoth Northrop Grumman."

Mil geek: Quick...the emeny are attacking. Launch the defences.

BT: No, we can't see anything wrong, have you checked your equipment.

Mil Geek:...Fod God's sake, they are shutting down the power staions.

BT: Ok hold on.......<4 hours later>No, we can't see anything wrong, have you checked your equipment?

Mil geeks: Gaaahhhhh

2. Darren 19
    Grenade

Cyberdyne Systems 2011…

So, what happens when they are testing some new super virus to shut down, say Iran’s nuclear facilities, and somebody leaves a port open? Oh, hang on: http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=stuxnet+iran

1. Scorchio!!

Re: Cyberdyne Systems 2011…

No, think "have you ever retired a replicant by accident" blended with The Matrix. I would *love* to put the warmongering Toni Bler et al. in such an environment, so they could pay back for throwing our money and reputation away, for killing many thousands of innocent Iraqis, and for deliberately swelling the population of the UK by 7.27% while telling the electorate in their 1997 manifesto that they would maintain "firm control" over immigration. Yeah right, and the food crises I could see coming decades ago are looming.

3. Steve X
    Coat

Realistic software replicant users?

But will they give up their passwords in exchange for chocolate?

4. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge
    Grenade

Capturing Hearts and Minds ..... an Out of the World Programming Project

But can they cope with NEUKlearer HyperRadioProActive IT Command and Control of Virtual Places and CyberSpaces ........ Live Operational Virtual Environments? Or is that their Sputnik moment realised, for that is one of the things which is waiting for them whenever they get their act together and stop pratting around.

5. bigjokerfish

Live Fire

I wonder if they've thought of opening up live fire exercises to the public.

That way all the wannabe hackers could flex their muscles in military controlled cyberspace and proper black hat hackers could see if they could outfox the government forces.

It'd be like a national game of hack the flag!

1. Anomalous Cowturd
      Troll

Re: Live Fire

>That way all the wannabe hackers could flex their muscles in military controlled cyberspace and proper black hat hackers could see if they could outfox the government forces.

Don't the Chinese do this already? ;o)

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge
      Grenade

Live Fire Incoming ..Take Cover or Suffer the Consequences of Cuts and Misappropriated Funding

"I wonder if they've thought of opening up live fire exercises to the public.

That way all the wannabe hackers could flex their muscles in military controlled cyberspace and proper black hat hackers could see if they could outfox the government forces.

It'd be like a national game of hack the flag!" .... bigjokerfish Posted Wednesday 26th January 2011 16:35 GMT

Err.... I think that is the present, and probably definely abiding military/government problem, bigjokerfish. Their systems of Command and Control have all already been hacked by relatively anonymous and enigmatic A.N.Others, and traditional and Establishment forces no longer possess any meaningful, leading long term, power structures to guarantee either their stated policy aims or their hidden agendas.

Whether or not A.N.Others are sharing such MkUltraSensitive secrets/algorithms/protocols/methodologies as SMARTer enable the remote virtual control of existing Command and Control and SCADA Systems is not something which is likely to be openly discussed ...... for obvious confidential and financial reasons as are always associated with Proprietary Intellectual Property and CodeXSSXXXX exchanges which can significantly alter and redistribute Global Imbalances of Mighty Power for Universal Spreads of Immaculate Control.

Do you imagine that Blighty Boffinry has a major stake in such matters, and are the Government and City institutions in on it at foundation level, clamouring to invest in order to ensure that they reap the benefits of their foresight, or do their Special Intelligence Services Providers fail them catastrophically in such as are irregular and unconventional cyber fields/novel playgrounds/Great Games?

6. bexley

Bt?

Wtf? They want a network simulator not a shitty network designed to provide the absolute bare minimum bandwidth.

There are far better, more capable companies out there to deliver this, at a fraction of the cost i'll bet

1. patrick_bateman
      Flame

money money

If you want to give me a 5er i will light my cigi with it, i wont use my own 5er though. ........

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Another huge expense that isn't necessary

If they really wanted to do the thorough testing, and do it at the most reasonable price..

they just need to setup a few sites and then 'leak' the news that they're storing the newest pr0n or 0day video games.. or even just say.. 'this is unhackable'

guaranteed, someone would be in before they could finish typing the last bit of code.

8. Pete 8
    Thumb Up

You are number

2187621th in the queue, but whjile you're waiting, have you tried turning your router off and back on again?

Live operational environments would render much kit redundant.

The heavier bits could be melted down to make useful stuff. With some awesome talent thus freed up, they could adjust.

No need to mine iron for a thousand years! Could even make a bridge to the moon and bungy to Mars! What's for dinner bro?

9. Steve Davies
    FAIL

yet another effing 'war' cry

They gonna emulate/simulate every combination/configuration of hardware/software out there on't ''net ?

Nope. So nice new market to sell to goverments - unique 'solutions' that the other side(s) can't have in their cyber war simulation.

Software arms race. Kerching !

What would Dr Falken say ? ?

10. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like