back to article Aussies demand Poms cough up first 'Australia' map

A group of Oz agitators is demanding Blighty hand over the first map of the Lucky Country to use the word "Australia". The Australian "birth certificate" was drawn up by Brit explorer and cartographer Matthew Flinders, a Royal Navy officer, who from 1801-1803 surveyed Terra Australis, as it was then known. The home leg of his …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. slooth
    WTF?

Today's yoof

So, let me get this right. Flinders was a Royal Navy person (not Oz Roayal Navy) and was on his way back to Blighty AFTER doing some work there (probably not for the convicts). He drew the map in Mauritius, far, far away from Oz. That would imply then that the drawing does NOT belong to Oz. It seems more and more that today's yoof 'just want' things and think that they are 'entitled' to everything. Not so. Work for what you want and stop demanding things.

1. DJ 2
      Joke

Give them a piece of paper and a pen

And let them draw thier own bloody map.

1. rjmx
        Go

Orrite ...

... but only if you take your bloody queen back.

1. The First Dave
          Flame

@rjmx

Then how about you take Rolf Harris back?

2. John Angelico
      Coat

Well, if that's the way you're thinking...

...how about putting the thing on show, instead of hiding it away - as if you are embarrassed about us.

Sheesh, just because you hang onto the Ashes you think you own the place again!

The one with the Oz flag hanging out of the pocket - I just collected that at our local authority Australia Day ceremony - ta muchly.

1. Smokey Joe
        Grenade

"Sheesh, just because you hang onto the Ashes"

Ah. Now we're getting there...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Whinging Aussies.

To be fair to them...nicking other peoples stuff is what the country was based upon, so it really is based upon a long tradition.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

At least ...

we could send them a photocopy.

4. John Hawkins
    WTF?

Doesn't it belong to the French?

Strictly speaking Flinders was employed by the French at the time so the map surely must belong to France?

1. Citizen Kaned

odd....

they say he was imprisoned by the french. do they pay a salary for being in the nick?

also - fuck you australia.

if i draw a picture of kylie (10 years ago) can i have her then?

1. Mark 65

@Citizen Kaned

Exactly. I mean...

"He classifies the map as the "Elgin Marbles of Australian history", and has asked defence secretary Liam Fox to act to ensure it is in Oz in time for the bicentenary of Flinders' death in 2014."

Elgin Marbles of Australian History? Fucking idiot. It was drawn by an Englishman and is kept in England. What's so unusual about that? It's not theirs and never was so cannot be implied to be some kind of stolen item. Just get fucked, you're not having it - much like the ashes urn.

2. Denarius
        Thumb Down

title OK

Please take her, and Rolf Harris while your at it.

3. Big-nosed Pengie

if i draw a picture of kylie (10 years ago) can i have her then?

Yes. But only if you promise to keep her.

5. HP Cynic

Well

I think it would be a nice gesture to release the map to them (bearing in mind that it's also part of the history of the Royal Navy, exploration and map-making here).

The article implies they are actually being quite demanding and bitter about it, I can only hope that this is over a long-standing request for the map that's gone unheard rather than a opening salvo of nationalistic nonsense.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@HP Cynic

The problem is that once the map goes to Oz they would never give it back, and would then be free to do whatever they want with it. I understand you may be happy with this, but there are many that would not be.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

What next..

What next? The repatriation of the Kohinoor diamond??

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

unlikely

It has a habit of killing any man that wears it. I doubt they want it back.

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Ownership?

Wait, if I draw a picture of Mars are little green men going to come and ask for what is 'rightfully' theirs?

Struggle to understand the concept of ownership here...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"reclaim"

Bad El Reg, you missed reporting the bit where they owned it in the first place...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

re "reclaim"

Nice use of sarcasm.

9. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Birth certificate?

Do these people believe there was nothing and no-one of consequence in that land prior to Flinders' time? I thought such attitudes were considered a bit of a faux pas these days.

The only document that could reasonably be described as White Australia's birth certificate is the Act of Parliament that gave them independence. Comparable documentary evidence for Black Australia's origins are probably scratched on Uluru.

1. Denarius
      Grenade

Black Oz, which one ?

so far at least 3 pre-european settlement events are known, including the disastrous introduction of feral species like the dingo around 5000 years ago or less. I await the call for recognition of initial ownership of mainland OZ by the southerners of Van Diemens Land.

10. dotdavid

May as well...

...give it to the Aussies rather than keep it in some government office in the UK where no-one can see it, assuming of course that they'll put it in a museum.

But the indignant tone of the quoted Aussies is a bit rich I think. Didn't they ever learn to ask nicely?

1. William Towle
      Coat

Re: May as well...

> the indignant tone of the quoted Aussies is a bit rich I think. Didn't they ever learn to ask nicely?

Maybe they did but the AQI made it impossible to tell(...?)

;)

11. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Can we get the Bayeux Tapestry 'Back' then

Since this depicts events around the birth of modern Engerland.

Paris 'cos it's in France Innit.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not quite the same

Since the Bayeux Tapestry is genraly considerd to have been made in England, by English people and then taken to France a later date we do have some claim over it, but are grown up enough to realise that these later movements are as much part of the objects history as who made it in the first place.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: Not quite the same

"We ... are grown up enough to realise that we wouldn't want to set a precedent."

There. Fixed that for you. (I'm reminded of a line in one of the Dangermouse cartoons where DM refers to "the Plundered Room of the British Museum".)

Personally I think it would be nice to have most of these objects "on tour" and the repeated claims of ownership by people aggrieved on behalf of someone else's ancestors are probably more of a block on touring than the (more obvious) financial barrier. This latest outburst is probably the sole reason why the map won't now be on show in Oz next year.

12. Flugal

Meh

Fuck'em

13. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Pint

RIch!

Wasn't there a group of people living in Oz prior to the a load of white trash convicts turning up,? Can't remember who they are now, Abba something? It sounds like the current incumbents of Oz seem to have forgotten too!

A beer icon as after 200 years of practice, the Aussies still can't brew a decent pint!

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Happy

Re: Rich!

"Abba something?"

Careful there. You'll have the Ockers demanding the world recognise their invention of flat-pack furniture next.....

14. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    Stop

By that logic then...

As the original inhabitants, the Aborigenes can legitimately claim back all of their land rights from the European interlopers that now inhabit the land?

1. Denarius
      Flame

Try reading, some are

A few are, usually by suggesting that all non-ancient arrivals owe a self identified group permanent rent, some thing poms should know about when the romanised vikings from frogland stole the saxons land around 1066. For centuries after that these vikings tried to steal land from assorted celts also, with varying degrees of "unsuccess".

As for the map, a good photocopy would be nice, but remember, these are kids, probably in need the occasional flogging to remind them of manners. Something poms seemed to do frequently in past, given the high number of psychopaths they produce, if any of the documents and folk law in my library is an indication.

15. Little Me

Elgin Marbles?

I think the comparison with the Elgin marbles is a bit off target.. Greek historic pieces being nabbed could be said to be Greek and demanded back.....but a map drawn by a visitor was hardly ever the ownership of any Aus inhabitant...

sorry Aus but asking nicely might be more appropriate...

1. My Alter Ego
      Pirate

Yup

It's not like it's an original Australian artifact.

I did however take my Dad to the Ashmolean in Oxford when he was over, I introduced it to him as the "Museum of Plunder".

Similarly, the mirror from the Leviathan of Parsonstown (Birr in the Rep of Ireland) currently resides in the Science Museum after the telescope was dismantled. I heard (an unsubstantiated) rumour that the Science Museum wouldn't give it back when the telescope was being restored.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Best place for it?

"should be on public display in Australia, where it can be appreciated."

Unless of course it's been kept at the moment in a nice safe location away from bright light to avoid it fading.

And if it is then it probably needs to be on public display in a very dark room in the same way as the Magna carta etc.

Not the birth certificate of Australia but possibly its first "ultrasound scan"

17. EddieD
    Stop

"The Elgin Marbles of Australia"?

So that means it stays here, right?

If the Greeks can't get something of immense cultural significance, the caucasian colonise^W invaders of Terra Australis Incognita can go hang.

18. sevenofnine

"Elgin Marbles of Australian history"

Except we didn't go along and nick it to show off in a museum. It was drawn up by a British person working for the Royal Navy while a prisoner. So it's not really the "Elgin Marbles of Australian history" at all, as strictly speaking they have no right to "Demand" a bit of paper with their countries name written on it.

If they were nice about it then sure, give it to them. But if they are going to be dicks then I demand we not give this property over to the convicts.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

They're just

p****d because we beat them in the Ashes. Sorry that should be destroyed them in the Ashes.

The Aussies have now lost their dominance again the old country in sport, we beat them on the rugby field, the cricket pitch, the velodrome, the swimming pool, etc.

You have to feel sorry for them.

Even the Easten Europeans have replaced them in their natural vocation of serving behind the bar in most of londons pubs.

20. Alistair MacRae
    Thumb Up

It's not rightfully theirs

But I still think we should give it to them... for a small fee

21. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Good News

Using Aussie Logic™ the Hydrographic Office in Taunton owns Australia.

All we have to do is sell it back to the Aussies and that's the deficit gone.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

@ Australians

Type "http://regmedia.co.uk/2011/01/25/flinders_oz_map.jpg" into your browser's address bar. Then click 'File' then 'Print..' . Problem solved.

23. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

I would love...

A brief explanation why this map is rightfully Australia's? As far as I can see it was drawn by an RN Officer undertaking the Crown's business.

Rather than starting with polemic, trying to compare a map drawn by someone from another country to stones dismantled from the Parthenon, why didn't they respectfully ask to borrow it for the bicentennial celebrations of Flinders. It wouldn't suprise me if the UK Hydrographic Office would have actually agreed to a long term loan, if their owndership of it wasn't in question. Now I'm sure they would consider nothing of the sort.

24. Keith T
    Happy

If they're prepared to offer a fair price, sell it or trade it to them.

It isn't as if the Greeks wanting Greek Elgin Marbles back.

It is as if the Greeks had the Elgin Marbles and we wanted them.

But clearly the map is worth far far more to them than to us. And they do have more money than us.

We should sell this national treasure (a British citizen created while working for Britain) to the Australians, or trade it to them.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How about a deal

No Australian is ever allowed to say the words "whinging" proceeded by "pom" ever again, if someone does then the 'birth certificate' gets shipped back to England.

Although I forsee a deal like that being broken in 0.0034 seconds.

26. Steve Evans

Whinging Aussies

So let me get this right... A map drawn by an Englishman, in the HM's Royal Navy is the property of Australia because it's a sketch of Australia?

Well I've just drawn a sketch of a Kangaroo mooning, and another sticking it's fingers up. Would you like those too?

27. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Idiots

I too will go with the "Get the fuck out of Australia then since it isn't your land". I liked Australia...then I went there. Never again. And I've been to Stoke on Trent which is about as welcoming to southerners as Polish man in a BNP meeting

1. Denarius
      Joke

good reason for your experience too

we are kind to some people. Europeans and Asians mostly. They wash, speak english and aren't poms or yanks.

28. Havin_it
    Pirate

Why don't they just

pay tribute to their founding fathers, and nick it?

*ducks*

29. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Sour Grapes

They want The Ashes back as well I suppose ?

You were soundly thrashed fair and square on home turf so tough titty toenails.

No.

30. Helena Handcart
    Boffin

Elgin

The case for the Elgin marbles is a tricky one, because the Ottoman Empire gave them to Lord Elgin who then sold them to the British Museum. In a subsequent enquiry, the paperwork drawn up by the Turks never materialised, although someone did claim to have an Italian translation of it somewhere, but he forgot to turn up to the enquiry. It should also be remembered that the Ottoman Empire used the Parthanon as an arms depot during this time, so one stray spark from a shisha would have vapourised the whole lot anyway...

Additionally, the British Museums Act prohibits the return of any artefact unless it is "worthless or a duplicate"!

31. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Given Australia's Heritage

Shouldn't the Australians just steal the map?

32. Lars Silver badge
    Pint

Why not give them a nice copy

And on an other note, suppose the Brits returned the stuff they borrowed from Egypt.

Things are not that straightforward, always, when it comes to history.

33. The Cube
    Thumb Up

Does the map meet any of the requirements for being sent to Australia?

Has it;

1) Been convicted of a serious criminal offence

2) Been found to be too poor to support itself in England and stuffed on a boat

3) Been rounded up by a press gang

4) Been found guilty of being Susan Boyle ugly?

If so then we should stick it on the next convict boat going out, along with Tony Blair, Lord Levy and a whole bunch of other criminal crap we don't need. Tell you what, send the entire Leeds United team as well whilst we're at it.

Thanks for the reminder Australia, what would the civilised world do without a dustbin for our criminals, poor and chavs?

34. This post has been deleted by its author

35. Maty

Bloody whingeing aussies

Whining that the umpiring was not right for them at the ashes, demanding stuff that's not theirs and never was ... reminds me why we shipped them off to the other side of the planet to start with.

Damn impertinent colonials.

36. Sam 15
    Headmaster

I'm always willing to learn

"Being a school that is named after the great Matthew Flinders, we believe that it is within our responsibility to rise up and fight to reclaim this significant historical map that is rightfully ours."

Right!

I'm off to rename my house "The Royal Mint"....

That's my pension fund sorted.

Sam

(Jimmy Edwards icon because he would have been proud of their avarice)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Paris Hilton

Re: I'm always willing to learn

"Being a school that is named after the great Matthew Flinders"

What kind of dibs and perks do you get if you name your school after Jesus Christ? Or the Marquis de Sade. Or Paris Hilton. Or anyone, really. Whiny high-pitched voice: "Can I have their stuff now, please!" Sheesh!

37. Il Midga di Macaroni
    Pint

Students, politicians and academics? Smells like trouble.

Come on Poms, surely you have groups of students, politicians and academics that come up with idiotic ideas? And you wouldn't want us to think the whole country felt the same way?

If you lot want to send the map over for a touring museum for the anniversary of Flinders' death I reckon that'd be a nice gesture. But in 2015 you can take the bloody thing back again, I don't want to have to pay the power bills for the climate controlled room it has to live in.

And of course if you don't want to come to the party we'll just send Warnie over to beat your whole cricket team single handed. And have affairs with half your female population.

Beer because I can't be bothered arguing.

38. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Australia Day plans

As any good Pom in Australia I shall start today reading El Reg and follow that an in-depth study of Australian culture. Then after breakfast...

39. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Alternatively

Why not give it to the native indigenous people of Australia? I'm sure they know what to do with a piece of old paper.

40. Mr Larrington
    Thumb Down

Dear Australia

Get stuffed. You do realise that Captain Cook only stopped there for a piss, don't you?

PS: http://www.legslarry.org.uk/Pikey/AussieWine.jpg. I need a freshly-'shopped one featuring Ricky Ponting's head on a silver platter.

41. jamie 5

And another thing

I've always though that the US Declaration of Independence is rightfully British, given that it was us they were declaring independence from, surely it must be delivered to the English head of state, or else no independence.

As for the Flinders map, why not have it on display in Australia, given that it's currently doing nothing, and no one back in blighty has any idea who Matthew Flinders was.

In other news, Sydney is too hot.

42. George 24

If Australia is so bad

Why are there so many poms living in OZ? As per the map, it belongs to England.

43. Nick Galloway
    Coat

Modern context

As an Australian, even I can see the logic is truly warped and as others have pointed out, not in the interests of logevity for the document. To put this in a modern context, if I photograph someone's new house for the first time, THEY OWN the photograph?

Not bloody likely. Similarly, if there happens to be some really excellent satellite images of say an Icelandic volcano erupting the owners of the satellite have to hand over rights to Iceland for those images?

Australia has an insurgency movement at work called the Republicans who, though well meaning, don't understand that if you are going to change a system then it needs to be an improvement, not a retrograde step. The current system works rather well, aside from the fact it lets the bleeding hearts be given too much air time.

I'm off for now, just lucky I am out of the country at the moment!?

44. tony trolle
    Grenade

Not just a dark room

needs to waterproof too......

45. s. pam Silver badge
    Headmaster

Fuck 'em they're all crims

why on earth should we give it away in the first place and in the second place only the descendant of the artist would have any prior art claims.

ebay the map to the highest bidder, to pay off some of the UK's national debt would be better!

46. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bloody Kiwis

Always complaining about something!

47. John Lodge

Who drew this? An Austrialian - Nope

It would seem that the Ozzies are wrong, it was produced by a Brit in the pay of HMG. End of...

48. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Ahhh Bullshit...

In another few hundred years it will be fucking dust anyway....

Get a super duper high resolution scan of the map and then engrave it into a slab of pure copper and then run off some prints in carbon ink and mausoleum grade paper... so it lasts a LONG time in hermetically sealed controlled atmosphere argon filled glass cases... along with the copper slab.

Hey.... print the fucking thing out on toilet rolls so we can celebrate Invasion Day while we wipe our arses....

49. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As Al Murray says ....

The reason it is called a "Test" is because it is a test of our colonial cousins manners - and the Aussies have been bloody rude for years!

50. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

As you can see,...

even tho "Down Under" rates highly on the quality of lifestyle tables, we are not spared the odd gobby dickhead. (Also see "Maoris who want everyone to leave NZ and move back to Europe").

Most antipodeans couldn't give a monkeys about the empire, as long as it stays where it is and doesn't bother us. Get a grip.

51. Rattus Rattus
    Thumb Up

Here's one Aussie

who honestly couldn't give a stuff about some old piece of paper.

Although I am amused to see all the Brit posturing and chest thumping. Don't work up too much of a sweat, guys - you don't want to have to take this year's bath a couple months too early, do you?

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Here's one Aussie

Aussies calling Brits stinky, huh. Is this a thing? Oh, OK. Very good.

1. Rattus Rattus

Re: Re: Here's one Aussie

Yeah, it's a thing. A bit of an older thing, but a thing nonetheless. It's long been opined down here that Brits only bathe once or twice a year due to the vicissitudes of weather.

52. Al x

Aus ancestry

Given their ancestry care should be taken as they might end up just nicking it...?!

53. Alex, Leeds

Who're the Poms?

As we all know convicts were marked with POME (Prisoner of Mother England) surely it's the Aussies that are the poms? I've always wondered about that - although I guess they'd argue that we based in Blighty remain the true prisoners...wrong though.

54. Alex, Leeds
    Stop

Ours

If the measurements were taken and drawn by someone in the employ of the Royal Navy then that makes it ours. End of - quit whinging and draw one yourselves!

55. U4eA
    Thumb Up

Ta muchly El Reg..

..for linking to a decent resolution copy of the map. Now does anybody have a log in for an Aussie FleaBay account I could borrow for a while...?

56. LuisPastor
    Thumb Up

Elgin marbles

This is the greek strategy to recover Parthenon marbles:

http://acartoonaday.blogspot.com/2011/02/elgin-marbles-and-new-troyan-horse.html

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like