back to article Reg Hardware Reader Awards 2010 Winners

The votes are in and counted, and so, without further ado, are the results of the 2010 Reg Hardware Awards. The Awards were split into two groups: Editors' Awards for the best Computer, Lifestyle, Photo, Mobile and Games products of 2010, and ten gongs selected by you, Reg Hardware's readers. We'll cover your winners first. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ThomH

Cue the gnashing of teeth

Quite a few products on that list seem to be contrary to the extremely fair and balanced opinions usually put forward by the posters of comments to your website. I expect a lot of very well reasoned comments to flow as a result.

My main reaction: I can't believe Angry Birds is only just more than a year old. Was there a time before Angry Birds?

1. Marvin the Martian
      Dead Vulture

Even internal consistency is gone!

At a glance, I'd say Gold for the iPad, and Silver for the HTC desire --- not touched either, but just counting sales and headlines it's rather safe.

If you disagree, then it gets ridiculous: compare that category and the "mobile" one where the iPad won:

if Desire > iPad, and iPad > Windows7Mobile, then clearly the Desire (being a *mobile*) should win the "mobile" category!?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

d0 nOT f33D Th3 tR0II$

it appears there was a lot of apple fanbois voting enmass here,,,

glad to see the htc desire getting a gold !!

3. Piloti
    WTF?

A little harsh.....

Rusty Dodo Duff Product of the Year

Winner: 3D TV

Runner-up: Symbian Phones

I've been using Symbian / Nokia for years. Using an E65 right now. Solid, well built devices with a UI that is second to none, manages email and web access through wi-fi or 3G without a care, allows copy paste [Apples ?], call hold / wait...... etc.

It will be a long time before Apple are ever this good.

P.

1. Mr__H
      Stop

urm....

Not used an iPhone in the last 2 1/2 years then. Us iPhone users have got copy and paste and even autofill nowadays... iOS4 and all that...

2. mmm mmm

RE: A little harsh..

When was the last time you used a proper phone? The last decent phone Nokia made was the 3210.

1. Piloti
        Jobs Horns

When was the last time you used a proper phone....?

Like I said, using one now.

A sim free Nokia, in my case the E65 is very, very hard to beat.

The contacts, call list, sms's are integrated as one, sms's and emails can be written in multiple languages, each with predictive text, and can be changed mid' sms [for example, from English to German to French] and without having to start new a new sms each time.....

Support / stores multiple sms'c,s sms's, contacts, emails, etc can all be stored to the micro sd card....

I have Opera as a web browser which is astonishingly fast, even on 2.5G and there are no reception issues....

Like I said, it will be a L O N G time before Apple makes anything as good as a Workhorse Nokia.

All hail the Finns..........

2. 20legend
        WTF?

Don't talk out of your arse pal...

The N95 8Gb is still a bloody good phone, equipped with features that it's taken Apple 4 generations of phone to almost catch up with

4. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

This title has been purged.

What the heck happened to Be*? Not even a silver? Shirley something is wrong here...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Agreed, great ISP ...

... and don't call me Shirley!

5. moonface

PC Game of the Year shocker!

Gold Award Winner: Medal of Honour

Really ..... Surely some mistake! that result looks more dodgy than a Zimbabwe presidential election!

6. Nick Galloway
    Black Helicopters

Nether regions

I have to concur with some of the other posters, the results seem a little odd for certain categories. Was there some BOFH involvement in the compilation (servicing) of the results???

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'd more suspect...

... that the extremely vocal biases of some groups within the comment sections aren't representative of the views of the majority of readers.

7. Kubla Cant
    WTF?

Consistency? We've heard of it.

"Mobile App of the Year / Silver Award Runner-up: Nokia Ovi Maps"

And what devices are most, if not all, copies of Ovi Maps running on?

"Rusty Dodo Duff Product of the Year / Runner-up: Symbian Phones"

8. Arctic fox

As as the Mac Air in the computer category is concerned I.......

.......entirely concur, bit pricey but all the same a _very_ fine piece kit. However, I'm sorry you guys just slay me, iPhone under the WORK product category! Pardon? Its the way you tell 'em.

9. sisk

Eh? O_o

iPhone 4 for the work product of the year? Seriously? That hunk of junk that every respectable consumer reporting publication has warned people against since it came out? Good grief, how many rabid fanbois did THAT have to take? And why the hell am I risking their ire by pointing it out?

Windows Phone 7 for a silver in mobile product of the year? I'm fairly sure it was here on El Reg that I read that it was doomed to flop (and I've yet to actually see anyone with one). It hasn't exactly made a big (or noticable really) splash in the phone OS market. At least not in my area.

Suprisingly though those are the only two things that left me scratching my head. I rather think the PC game of the year winner and runner up got accidently reversed, but I've always prefered RTS to FPS.

10. Kevin Reader
    WTF?

That's the Ad revenue taken care of then...

(cough).

11. SteelVenom
    WTF?

PC Game Winner

Medal of Honor? Really?? I have 175gb of games on my pc and not a single "bit" of it is related to Medal of Honor. StarCraft 2 should have won gold medal.

Shouldn't PC game of the year be dedicated only to games that were only for PC? I know that limits the selection quite a bit but otherwise games like Medal Of Honor get thrown in there when pretty much everyone has that on PS3.

I have to say these results of the contest are very very peculiar. Somethings not quite right.

12. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Anyone else notice?

As when the nominees were announced, they seem to have lumped PS Move and Xbox Kinect together as one,

Yet when the winners are announced, Kinect seems to have been separated!!!. But then with Microsoft and Xbox Live sponsoring the awards, this hardly comes as any surprise...

13. Eponymous Cowherd
    WTF?

Huh?

***"Home Product of the Year

Gold Award Winner: BBC iPlayer "***

Seriously?

1. Gordon 10
      Thumb Up

Why not?

Since it appeared on my Freesat box I have probably watched TV via iplayer at least as much as watching it "live". Well deserved in my opinion. Its completely changed my TV habits.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Gold Award Winner: Microsoft Xbox 360 Kinect

While Microsoft discriminate against mentally handicapped children (calling those with Autism cheats for example), I cannot see how they win this...

1. Arctic fox
      FAIL

If you have not already seen it I suggest......

..........you take a look at this article from Reg Hardware:

http://www.reghardware.com/2011/01/28/autistic_boy_did_cheat_on_xbox/

MS can actually prove their case on this occasion. Always a mistake to react when one has not heard both sides of the story.

This topic is closed for new posts.