back to article Aavara PCE122 HDMI extender

Ever fancied watching a Blu-ray movie in the garden? Always wondered what it would be like to isolate your Xbox 360 so you could hear the gameplay over the sound of the jet engine Microsoft calls a DVD drive? Many of us would probably like to, but 50 metre HDMI cables tend to go for £300 apiece – not exactly what you'd describe …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Christian Berger

I'm sorry, but....

This is a device which receives bits on one end and transmits them again at the other. Wouldn't it make sense for a review to tell us about bit error rates at various signalling rates and cable lengths?

2. Arnold Lieberman
    Stop

In all tests performed, there was no observable loss in quality in either audio or video streams.

I should hope not, it's digital after all! If it was going to cause problems, you'd see pretty obvious issues like blocking or the complete collapse of the picture. Please stop treating these devices like some sort of analogue voodoo, with all the attendant audiophilia.

1. David Gosnell

yes, but...

I'd count "blocking or the complete collapse of the picture" as "observable loss in quality in either audio or video streams" so am prepared to give the reviewer the benefit of the doubt, for once. If there was any subjective nonsense about colours being more washed out or something, that would have been quite a different matter. But per the first poster, some statistical qualification would have been nice.

3. Duncan Macdonald
    Thumb Down

Overpriced for most users

For users that need less than 50 metres there is a much cheaper alternative. For less than £50 a HDMI over cat 6 ethernet cable extender is available from kenable see

http://www.kenable.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1765

4. Trollslayer
    Thumb Down

No.

£500 and can't use structured cabling?

Overpriced and old fashioned.

1. craig46

Missing the point

I think you've either missed the point or you didn't understand the product. If you have a network of coax cables in a building, you don't have to replace them with cat5 cable to distribute your HD. If your only doing a run of one device to one screen up to 50m, then this isn't for you. If the distance is greater than 50m and you have multiple displays to get to then this will probably be your best option.

I also don't see why 'observation tests' aren't good enough for you. What else do you do with your screen other than look at them. If you can't see any difference when going through this HD sender, then it's doing it's job.

5. James Hughes 1

75%

On a device that does *exactly* what it says on the tin?

Is the 75% solely because it is expensive? Or because it doesn't have wall slots (as the only negative point in the review)?

6. Mage Silver badge
    Boffin

HDMI info

Sky and all other Satellite 3D transmit the left and right eye in two 960x 1080i images squashed into a 1920 x 1080i 25fps 50Hz frame. So that will work fine.

Only 1920x1080p 100 (i.e. 50fps per eye) 3D needs the higher rate HDMI.

HDMI will also go direct over a pair of shield Cat5e cables. You can even buy wall plate with HDMI socket on front and 2x RJ45 sockets on rear. Distance up to 15m. DIY by cutting a 0.75m 7 euro cable in half.

Visual observation is a useless test. You need to measure signal distortion and that it's simply outside the minimum (better than minimum adds nothing to quality).

7. Giles Jones Gold badge

Cables still?

Give us a call once you get a wireless one working (yes I know it will require loads of bandwidth).

8. DRendar
    WTF?

Erm....

"Suggested Price: £487 (sender/receiver pair), £262 (single sender or receiver)"

"Many of us would probably like to, but 50 metre HDMI cables tend to go for £300 apiece – not exactly what you'd describe as a cost-effective arrangement."

So you're suggesting saving £300 by spending nearly £500?

I realise the box has other benefits, but this is a bit of a daft comment isn't it?

9. Bronek Kozicki
    Alert

not old fashined but still overpriced

Coaxial is not old fashioned, it's actually much better choice for sending digital signals over distance than twisted pair, you can learn more here http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/whats-the-matter-with-hdmi.htm .

However, Cat5/6 cables even though they are still twisted pair, offer longer runs that HDMI maximum 15m (~ 50ft ; where author got 50m from is anyone's guess) and suitable HDMI over Cet5/6 converters are available much, much more cheaply, as Duncan Macdonald noted above. Actually, you guys could test one just for comparison.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

DRM?

Are they managing to strip off the DRM?

Otherwise how do they get multiple outputs?

1. Richard 45

HDCP

They don't need to as HDCP is perfectly happy with multiple monitor distribution setups like this.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like