back to article DC Universe Online

The backstory to DC Universe Online reads like that of so many of Metropolis and Gotham City's superheroes and supervillains. Lift the cape and pull back the mask and DCUO reveals itself as a regular-Joe action-brawler that gained special powers after falling into a vat of MMORPG mutagen. DC Universe Pick on someone your own …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Benji Levens
    Paris Hilton

Unload in the Pink Ring!!

I hope you're happy with yourselves for making me spit my drink all over my keyboard

1. Jim 48
      Coffee/keyboard

There's an icon for that

As above

2. Andrew the Invertebrate

well strictly speaking

that should be "Unload in the Pink Ring of Love", but I'm guessing even the editorial team have limits

3. neb
      Happy

ah yeah...

Giggidy!

2. Parsifal
    Go

City Of Heroes/Villians

You'd think with COH/COV having been out there for several years, SOE would have had a chance to improve on that Game, but based on the review I'd say that they are barely on a par with a much older game.

3. BoldMan

Holy Unconvinced Batman!

Sounds exactly like City of Heroes from 2004 to me! Fun game but repetitive in the extreme. Then again Star Trek Online was also very very repetitive oh and... um okay I seem to be seeing a pattern here...

4. elpumkinhed
    Grenade

75% - ??

75%? I think that score is a little high, don't you think?

Is 75% the new 25%? Consider the amount of content other MMOs have had at launch and this is laughable.

I think I will wait for the expansion, if the game ever makes it that far.

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

ok then....

PS3 version gets downmarked for being "only" 720p yet most Xbox games including Halo Reach don't even make HD and ate 568p yet nobody blinks an eye. How about some consistent review benchmarks?

This is a fine game and no way deserves a 75%, more like a 90.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

City of Heroes

Seems a lot like a combination of NCSoft's City of Heroes, and WoW. Meh, been there, done that.

7. Captain Save-a-ho
    Flame

SOE? No thank you

SOE has a long history of ruining games. Star Wars Galaxies was the last straw for me and there is no way I'd even bother with DCUO, no matter how great it is.

Fuck SOE.

1. Dcope
      Unhappy

fool me twice.....

not only did i go through the NGE and id been there for 2 years, i also was stupid enough to go through the vanguard launch, so SOE is poison to me. havent touched a triple AAA (yeah right) mmo since been trawling the F2P area seem to scratch the mmo itch RoM atm, awaiting SW:TOR but wary of preorder.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Coffee/keyboard

@ Captain Save-a-ho

A long history of 1?

Could you name and shame the the preceding straws for us?

Enquiring minds wanna know :)

1. Captain Save-a-ho

@ AC 12:10 GMT

Here's where you can find all the dirty details:

http://www.google.com

1. Anonymous Coward
          FAIL

@ Captain Save-a-ho

That'd be a 'No' then.

Thought as much.

8. Alastair Dodd 1
    Thumb Down

Seems the same as City of Heroes when that launched

with better graphics. But thats 6-7 Years old now!

CoH still has more features and much more to do (create own missions and stores, etc). Only downsides - isn't on PS3 or using DC characters which is no real loss tbh.

9. Parkaboy

copy and paste

It REALLY doesn't look like you played the game. It's not even a review its an overview of the game in which you missed out the things that make the game good, bad or average.

But hey at least you got some comments for your ever so dull copy and pasted "review"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Thank you Parkaboy...

...for pointing that out.

I've been playing this game since the beta was released via download on PS Store some time ago I and am happy to say that I think it is frickin' awesome. Graphically, conceptually and gameplay...allally. ;0)

I can kind of agree with the comment about the questing feeling sometimes formulaic (but it is really only sometimes), and all that soon dissipates once you are up to your arse in customized Supervillains, each one armed to the teeth and trying to reduce you to a Hero-smoothie.

It certainly doesn't undo the great things achieved by this game, and in my opinion (that's all this is remember....) DCUO gets an EASY 85+%. And it deserves it....(I'm looking at you COD Black Ops!!!)

10. janimal
    FAIL

Formulaic and unappealing

Game theory seems to have taken a dive lately, this sounds like another unholy mess of homogeneous crap.

Reward systems should largely be implicit and logical but there appears to be an (understandable) trend to deliberately build in addiction. However attempting this with off the shelf explicit systems usually fails miserably.

You can almost smell the business executive rich committee meeting that spawned this garbage

11. Adam T
    Thumb Down

This is NOT an MMORPG

RPGs tend to have chat systems so people can, you know, chat. DC Universe features the worst chat system I've seen to date. It also has gigantor font sizes that can't be adjusted, even on PC, because it's made to work for PS3 users playing on NTCS/PAL tellys - thank you Sony TRCs. Visit the forums to complain and you'll be met with mob wisdom: Voice chat or FO.

DC Universe does one thing for me: Prove that Superhero MMOs don't work. Sure it's not bad if you play it to L30 and then move on, but it's not nearly worth a subscription.

If you do treat it as a single-player game, it's actually not bad - way better looking than Champions Online, though that has far superior character options and development.

12. Mat 3
    Alien

Game Scoring

75% is not the new 25%. It always was. Review scores live in a fabulous netherworld which bear no semblance to gaussian distribution. For the sake of clarity, here's what review scores actually mean:

0 to 75%: Possibly the worst game ever conceived or built.

75% to 85%: Meh

85% to 95%: Quite enjoyable

95% plus: Actually this is really rather good

Generally, I find this rule of thumb can be applied to pretty much any kind of review for films, books etc.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

75% is not the new 25%

Heres how i see it -

Anything below 50% is not even worth thinking about

50-60% is a bad game

65-75% is average

80-85% is decent but nothing special

and anything higher are the only ones worth wasting countless hours of your life playing

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like