back to article BBC iPlayer boss quits for job with Intel

Erik Huggers has quit his new media and technology role at the BBC for a job with chip maker Intel. The one-time Microsoft exec, who joined the Beeb in May 2007, steered Auntie's iPlayer strategy and oversaw the corporation's online estate, which is now undergoing budget cuts and a significant webpage cull. BBC Director- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

costs

So, the corporation is subject to cost cuts like the rest of us, yet they're replacing on ebod with two? How does that work then?

1. Iain 25
      Thumb Up

Re: costs

@coward: because those two already had the jobs they've got -- they were both Huggers' deputies, in effect. So they're not replacing the man at the top, and leaving two second-in-commands to run the show.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Intel noticed

That his stuff goes to 11

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Cam2A

>...his stuff goes to 11

All digital audio players should its a clever feature, don't think this was his innovation though.

1. Captain DaFt
        Coat

Bing!

Then the next iPod will go to 12, and everybody fawns at the innovation!

(C'mon, ya know it's true!)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do we please also lose the MS-inspired DRM/encryption on iPlayer?

Type no comment here - plain text only, no HTML

1. Craig Newbury

iPlayer DRM

I thought they got rid of the MS DRM over a year ago, the iPlayer client on my machine uses Adobe Air. I use a Mac so I may be wrong about this but I thought the windows client also used Adobe Air, so has no need for MS DRM.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

iPlayer caching

Is he one of them that cried foul at the outfit who wanted to cache content on folks' iPhones?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/05/bbc_iphone/

1. Eponymous Cowherd
      Unhappy

I assume so....

I also assume that he was the person responsible for the execution of a couple of Android apps that let non-Flash Android devices view iPlayer.

Consider yourself lucky. At least you still have access to iPlayer.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Me too

So presumably the ex-AOLer is there just to say me too?

6. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

BBCTechnology 2.0 here we come!!

Split then sell?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like