back to article Carbon trading registry suspends ops following hack attack

A carbon emissions trading registry in Austria has suspended operations until at least 21 January following a hacking attack earlier this month. The registry has been disconnected from the EU and UN carbon trading registries in response to the 10 January attack, details on which are unclear. A statement on the trading registry …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jelliphiish

waste of carbon anyway..

irony : they've heard of it.

2. TeeCee Gold badge
    WTF?

Carbon exchange trading.

Hang on, have I got this right?

There's something out there that costs us sod-all to produce, is around in huge quantities and nobody wants it.

And someone's worked out a way to make money trading in it............?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Been asleep the last decade?

They call it "carbon trading" but it's actually the trading of legislatively created carbon dioxide production credits. It all makes sense if you assume that CO2 is evil.

Actually, even then it doesn't make sense...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Actually, even then it doesn't make sense..."

It makes perfect sense if you think of it as a way for rich people to create more money from thin air to make themselves richer

1. Sillyfellow

..and

and encourage even more pollution, so long as they're (the rich folks) getting paid for it. in fact, in that case, more pollution = more profit.

it really has nothing to do with reducing pollution. only making money. hello ? it there anyone home in there ? time to wake up and smell the coffee folks.

2. Catroast
      Thumb Up

Yes.

The company I work for spent $1B on indulg... I mean carbon offset credits in 2009.

3. Wize

Its all a swizz anyway

You produce a product by belching black smoke in the air, hand over money to people with their own wind turbines and you get to claim your product is carbon neutral.

They don't refine their product to make it more environmentally friendlier. They just spend more money to hide it.

4. Tom 35

I put this in the same catagory as...

Scammers ripping of sellers of fake penis pills.

5. Rick Giles
    Linux

i wish people would learn

The proper terminolgy is 'cracker'. A hacker is not a bad thing, but the stupid media keeps making us look that way because they are to lazy to get their facts straight.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Take a bow

"Smokey and the bandits" - that was the best tag line I've read in a while.

**applause**

7. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

and they should just

This type of so called business is absolute BS as we all very well know. So maybe they should just go away. Then government needs to take the polluters to task and put them down like diseased animals.

8. NeverMindTheBullocks
    FAIL

Rightly or wrongly

the carbon trading market is a reality. What is also a reality is the laughable levels of security in place around what is a multi-million Euro market.

Account security it limited to a pre-generated user ID and passwords on a 90 day expiry. No tokens, no additional verification of identity, just a simple account that lets you trade millions of carbon certificates. Apart from a rather perfunctory plea not to answer phishing emails there is no further advice on the registry website on securing the accounts or managing access.

For something this valuable ( Holcim Romania lost something in the region of 20M Euro ) you'd think they could put in some decent security or at least offer advice to their account holders.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like