back to article Microsoft Kinect man enlists with Google special ops

One of the core engineers working on Microsoft's Wii-like Kinect set-up has jumped ship for Google. Johnny Chung Lee has blogged that he joined Microsoft's search and ads adversary after just two years at Redmond. He joined what he called a Google "special projects team". Lee had served as a core contributor on the human …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Alastair 7

Seems like a narrow way of looking at it

"Does this mean Google is working on some kind of new game or game-like service?"

This is where the article went off on a tangent for me- the guy seems like he's fascinated with interfaces in general, and Kinect is a fascinating interface. I can't even begin to imagine the possible interfaces Google are dreaming up, but I very much doubt they're constrained in the realm of a games console.

2. Antidisestablishmentarianist

Nah...

He's there at Google so they can hack (via social engineering) into people Webcams and track their eye movements (when users use Google search). Then they can offer pay-per-view as well as pay-per-click on advertisements.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Linux

That sort of reminds me of estate agents

I can see google saying to some company that has ads with them. "We know that user x looked at your ad two weeks ago, and then actually purchased something from you, you owe us $$$'s"

2. HighlightAll

Google's eyes on banner blindness

A floating advert sits at the point of view (as tracked) until Google think it has been absorbed.

Time for an evil google CEO icon?

3. JDX Gold badge

It must be nice...

... to be one of these big shots who are constantly being pursued to lead exciting new projects by Google, FB, MS, etc.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Does this mean...

Ballmer is taking over core Kinect engineering too?

/lighten up folks it's just a joke

5. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Your thoughts will be next

"Does this mean Google is working on some kind of new game or game-like service?"

I t occurred to me at this point in the article it was more likely that Google would be interested in human recognition technology. This would allow them to track your every move in the real world just as they do your every move in the virtual world. You confirmed this thought a few paragraphs later.

6. Ken MAC

Spec-Ops ??

Stranger than fiction maybe.. As anyone who reads Jasper Ffordes Thursday Next Books ( and you should...) knows. Spec-Ops is the organisation that handles the jobs too wierd or complex for the ordianry Police. Mainly in the Swindon area for some reason

Visit Jaspers web site and you can buy Spec-ops merchandise

7. url
    Paris Hilton

so much for the

not poaching each other's talent (some bullshit about it being unhealthy to have all the talent pooled in one place) promise they made.

paris keeps all her talent in one place too

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like