back to article MySpace unfriends 500 staff

MySpace's workforce is being slashed by half, the struggling website's owner News Corp confirmed yesterday. Around 500 staff will lose their jobs, said the company's boss Mike Jones. "These changes were purely driven by issues related to our legacy business, and in no way reflect the performance of the new product," said …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Thomas 18
    Joke

legacy business

Ofcourse, why would cutting your workforce in half indicate a failing buisness!? Now the only people left are the media relations officers and the individuals responsible for ensuring orderly departure for the ships rats.

1. hj
      Badgers

lagacy business....

"These changes were purely driven by issues related to our legacy business, and in no way reflect the performance of the new product," said Jones.....

Probably because the legacy business had 5 million customers / users and the new product only 50,000?

2. Steven Jones

Sad for the staff

The only good thing about this is Murdoch has lost out. I wonder which executives he's had shot (methaphorically speaking of course) because of the original investment decision?

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Beta max...

anyone?

Fail, sadly because i think they will - or sell out to someone else.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Preferred MySpace

I preferred MySpace to the bloated and complicated mess that is Facebook. The content seemed less inane - yesterday my FB feed had a post: "Well, 10:30, off to bed." Is that what social networking is about??

1. Wild Bill

Sounds to me like...

you need to get some more interesting friends

2. Doug Glass
        Go

Yep

Uh huh....yep.

3. Gav
        Boffin

Worse than a dog's dinner

How can any defend MySpace by accusing others of being a complicated mess? Most MySpace pages I ever had the misfortune to stumble across looked like the result of vomited HTML mixed with gif poo. Say what you like about Facebook (really) but at least the pages have some sort of semblance of design.

4. Disco-Legend-Zeke
    Unhappy

Myspace As Lagging...

...indicator.

When times are tough, an easy budget cut is Internet advertising. Advertiser driven sites, from giants like like Myspace or el Reg down to the tiniest blog, have seen painful reductions in advertising revenue.

There was no "old model" responsible for the losses, it was reluctance to let go of staff at the beginning of a downturn.

*sad face because advertising revenue from my tiny stable of web pages is still declining .

5. diehard80

They failed because they didn't have this...

Myspace failed because they were completely and only focused on the bottom line. Both Facebook employees and users are following the Facebook Creed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Akb5NyZaA9c.

1. Yag

Both Facebook employees and products are following the Facebook Creed

fixed for you :p

6. bugalugs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Akb5NyZaA9c ?

Have a bucket handy !

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like