back to article FAST cracks down on pirates near Penzance

A Cornish roofer has become the latest target in the Federation Against Software Theft (FAST)'s ongoing piracy smackdown. FAST said yesterday that it had busted an "unlawful software ring" at Philip Rogers' home in Redruth, Cornwall. An investigation was launched after Primal Pictures discovered Rogers was allegedly selling …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. David Robinson
    Paris Hilton

Obviously a muppet

"We entered into correspondence with Rogers, informing him of our discoveries and letting him know that all our member wanted was for him to destroy the unlawful stock of copied software he had manufactured, acknowledge that he had breached copyright, and enter into discussions regarding compensation."

Surely an email stating "OK!, Done" would have sufficed and then just carry on as normal, thats what Paris would have done! *nods*

2. Tony
    Boffin

Federation?

There can be only one Federation - and Paramount has the copyright on that!

On second thoughts, perhaps FAST should carry on referring to themselves in that way. Paramount's lawyers can then ask them to chase themselves to stop them using a copyrighted name.

Won't that be fun!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

haha

Haha, "please call us The Federation in all your correspondence. It makes us feel big and important."

Bunch of a$$es.

4. Ben
    Pirate

"The Federation"

Sounds a lot like "The Empire"...I wonder if they have a cool army of stormtroopers.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

George Orwell?

With a name like The Federation, I think they were more aiming for the Trekkies....

6. Ben XO

The Federation...

...is a nominal phrase that I, and many others like me, will forever associate with Star Trek and pretty much nothing else.

7. anthony bingham

Fiddlers Always Sit Tight >>>

'Cos they like to get caught ... eventually .... it isn't just the dosh it's the Challenge and the Glory and the Chase in a world that is "controlled" [ usually not very well] by Bill Gates and his clones ( read clowns!) Life would be a bit less lively without the Gaelic Entrepeneurs and their "innocent customers" ... buy one get one Free !

8. Mark
    Joke

Software Theft?

How can software be stolen when it's licensed, not sold?

9. Paul Young
    Pirate

Redruth is a bit too close for comfort

He only lives 10 miles away from me!!!

I need a t-shirt with THE FEDERATION on it

in a Star Trek Font

Oh Well

10. Dave Doran
    Black Helicopters

The Federation?

Will they be re-running their Nazi Youth recruitment adverts again?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

The Federation ...

... were the bad guys in Blake's Seven, possily more approrpiate this side of the pond

12. This post has been deleted by its author

13. andy gibson
    Coat

Sounds like....

Cornish persecution to me. The CLA will be up in arms (or pointed sticks as I don't imagine they have any arms or weapons to speak of)

14. Chronos
    Stop

Penzance?

Redruth is nowhere bloody near Penzance. Penzance is in the hundred of Penwith, whereas Redruth is in the hundred of Kerrier, not really known as the hundred of piracy. It's actually better known for another activity.

Camborne School of Mines, arguably the best mining academy in the world, is located in Pool, halfway between Camborne and Redruth. It also boasts the last operational Cornish beam engine (and the father of steam locomotives, Richard Trevithic. Stevenson who?). It's more likely that this "piracy ring" were data miners in Kerrier. I'll get me coat...

15. Lukin Brewer

Doesn’t anyone remember Blake’s Seven?

British sci-fi series? Featuring an oppressive, all-encompassing police state called “The Federation”? I for one would be rather worried if FAST started recruiting a black-garbed paramilitary enforcement squad, especially if they wear silly-but-sinister ring-shaped head visors. Or if FAST’s next chief executive wears her dark hair very, very short. And if you are visited by an aggressive man who refuses to take both his gloves off, no matter how hot it is, don’t let him look at your computers and don’t let him point the hand with the rings on anywhere near you.

Now all we need is for someone to start smuggling grey imports in on a boat called the “Liberator”.

16. Maksim Rukov
    Pirate

When a felon's not engaged in his employment...

Ooo-oooh, The Federation's lot is not a nappy one!

This topic is closed for new posts.