back to article Footie fans in 'cunthorpe Utd' calendar shocker

Scunthorpe United has apologised to 2,000 fans for rather unfortunately dropping the "S" from the club's name in a personalised 2011 calendar, the Sun reports. According to the paper, the £12.99 calendar "each month shows photos of the Championship club's players as well as prominently displaying the fan's name". Fan Jamie …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Blubster
    Happy

Reminds me.....

of a bit of graffiti from years back.

"If Typhoo put the T in Britain, who put the c**t in Scunthorpe".

I'd hang on to those calendars - might be worth a few bob as collectors items in years to come.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I believe...

...it was a rag mag, and the next line read "they're all c ...s in Scunthorpe

Anonymous because you never know when you might meet someone from Scunthorpe

2. Sabine Miehlbradt
    Pint

So what are the odds?

I bet one of the tupid ods was fooling around with the layout files and then someone else took them to be printed without a final proof-reading.

hit happens.

1. Lionel Baden
      Thumb Up

wonderfull

That really did make me LOL :)

3. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Thumb Up

Sorted!

All over the national press, loads of free coverage, "Oops, silly us, now you can't stop talking us!" and PR sorted for a small initial outlay!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

title

"small initial outlay" Genius.

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

About par for the course...

... with the planks who are in charge of the commercial side at the Iron. They couldn't organise a shag in a brothel.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Our intranet forums were once fitted with a swear-filter

which made any discussion of Scunthorpe impossible without some creative spelling.

1. Peter 44

Our intranet forums were once fitted with a swear-filter

Had a similar problem trying to access www.experts-exchange.com before they added the hyphen.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Also reminds me ....

.... of a possibly apocryphal story of a link between two tech colleges in Scunthope and Hull - The Huil college proposed a common "branding" of their course with them becoming the North Humberside Institute of Technology or NHIT for short .... and I'll leave the rest as an exercise for the reader!

1. alyn

I also worked for a SHIT department

I worked for a company in Bracknel who moved to a new building called Station House, so we became the Station House IT department, which was quite appropriate.

1. some vaguely opinionated bloke
        Thumb Up

Reminding me of...

the bus firm known for a short time as Starbeck and Harrogate Independent Travel, renamed quickly to Harrogate Independent Travel.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

Hotmail?

Was it not Hotmail that banned residents of Scunthorpe from creating accounts due to the swear filter in the address fields?

1. Dave Bell

Older than Hotmail

As I recall, it was AOL who banned Scunthorpe. The customer who they almost lost then signed up with the name of one of the villages which were combined to form Scunthorpe.

Frodingham: it rather sounds worse, doesn't it.

8. bitmap animal
    Stop

Not a spelling error

It's not a spelling error on the calendar as their story says. It's written on the hoarding behind the players at the pitch and the photo has been cropped to focus on the players.

It should have been spotted and the photo cropped in a different way, but on small run calendars these things are easily done.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

yeah, yeah

I suppose it's never occurred to anyone from Scunthorpe to check for cropping problems.

Then again, what about the Arse from the Emirates?

Mine's the one with the Lillywhites scarf

9. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

2000 Fans ???

I find that hard to believe.........

10. Hedley Phillips

The apology letter also contains a mistake...

"It has only been brought to out attention recently"

Should have been "our"

11. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

pics or it didn't happen

that is all

12. AdamWill

Rude?

How is that rude? The non-word fragment 'cunthrope' is approximately as rude as the word 'Scunthorpe', i.e., not at all. The fact that it contains four letters which taken as a word in isolation would be rude seems neither here nor there, to me.

1. Martin H Watson

Did you mean to...

...type 'cunthrope'? (sic)

1. Scorchio!!
        Thumb Up

Re: Did you mean to...

"...type 'cunthrope'? (sic)"

Well it is only a word, now taken over by feminists happy to use the word 'prick', quite probably because it is derived from the French where as the cunt word is derived from Anglo-Saxon. So now it is that the various Gropecunt Lanes across the country have been renamed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gropecunt_Lane

Similarly with Butts End Lane, and so on. Remember, this is a country in which councils once had executives appointed for the purpose of naming streets. It is only a word dammit, though I am tempted to describe the feminists who fuel the fire by trying to ban it as stupid cunts. As it is I am relying on ISIHAC rules, namely that the word is in the title and can be repeated without losing points.

2. LaeMing
      Unhappy

I tend to agree

and likely the person proofing the cropped photo was thinking this way too.

Then some people with nothing better to do with their lives complained.

13. Andy Hards

when i type in my name using predictive text

it comes out as Body Gases unless it's on one where I've put my own name in a few times added it to the memory. I have sent out emails and texts with that as my name more than once.

14. War Monger

Where else would such a team play

but Glandford Park? Also 'bout time they got themselves a Brazilian.

15. zb

Avoidance ploy

I always refer to it as Shorpe to avoid having to type a rude word.

16. alyn
    Happy

Similarly

I read a book on canal history and one of the maps had cropped the C off canal

17. james the l
    Coat

That reminds me...

Ah, happy memories of listening to the Today Program (for our non British readers, this is the flagship morning serious news and comment program on the main BBC radio station). For some reason talk turned to place names with body parts in them. You can see what's coming...

All started well with "Liverpool, Handcross, Liphook..." and then a quite voice said "And there's always Scunthorpe." Half a second's cognitive work and then the sound of muffled laughter and coffee being spat across studio. It took some time for normal service to be resumed.

There's also the Edwina Currie moment, but that's another story.

18. raving angry loony

shocking!

Who thought Scunthorpe had 2000 fans?

19. Sam Therapy
    Happy

And of course, there's always Penistone

A former gf from the US was highly amused by that particular one and delighted in mis pronouncing it.

1. Scorchio!!

Re: And of course, there's always Penistone

Do not under any circumstances forget the Austrian town of Fucking:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fucking,_Austria

They have a city-sign-thief problem, as I'm sure you can understand. Even better than that, read this:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/0,1518,686305,00.html

Myself I prefer dunkel, but hell bier ist OK, especially if it is brewed in Fucking! ;-)

20. SSC dougal

dougal

as a scunny lad born and bred remembering the good old days of newsgroup language filters stopping me from informing all and sundry where i live this comes as no suprise to me.

90 percent of people here are lazy stupid and ignorant. I would guess this was proof read but by the scunny bunny mascot

21. Steve Babb
    FAIL

Heroes

When I was working in the North West a few years back, I was hauled before my boss to ask why I hadn't posted any cost updates in the last six weeks for a water treatment project I was looking after.

After a quick check of the email system it seems the mail filter for some reason blocked all mention of the town Clitheroe. That one was a tricky job but the guys on that project were all heroes to me.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like