back to article Samsung launches 'world's first' Android MP3 player

Samsung has announced the launch of its latest PMP - apparently the world's first Android powered MP3 player, according to the company, which appears to have missed Archos' Google OS offerings. The Samsung Galaxy Player 50 has a 3.2in touchscreen, 2Mp camera and comes with either 8GB or 16GB of storage, expandable using Micro …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JaitcH
    Pint

What a pity ... no phone or SMS?

Having gone so far it would not have cost that much more to make it a handset.

Good to see Samsung is using a standard audio connector instead of the multi-pin things it used on it'd earlier handsets.

I think Archos will have to take a pencil to it's price list.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Erm, well yes it would

If you look at the cost of equivalent phones they are substantially more expensive for equivalent spec. in other regards.

I guess it depends on the quality of the components, but there is no reason why something that is less sophisticated shouldn't be cheaper.

For someone that already has a phone, it makes no sense to replace it with another phone that you don't intend to use as a phone.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

These are the droids we're looking for.

My daughter was asking for an iTouch before Christmas and I put her off because of the latest 'Droid developments and I indeed looked at the Archos 70 which, although a little bigger then the Touch, looks very cool indeed and the price hits the right mark.

I put her off though because I could see that things were going to develop apace over the next month or two. Practically everyone (except Archos) seems to have forgotten the niche filled by iTouch for small media devices that are not phones running Android.

Here's looking for forward to further development in this area.

1. Ian Yates

Niche

Depends on the niche you're referring to.

I have a Cowon/iAudio J3 (32GB). True, it doesn't do apps in quite the same way (only dodgy flash games), but it does have a really nice touchscreen, a coverflow-like system (not that I use it), brilliant battery, and great codec support.

In addition, it has microSD expansion (with proper library integration) and it can be used as a normal mass-storage device on any computer :)

And that's not even talking about the sound quality.

Unfortunately, I can understand why some people might find it a little bit techy, and even I'm disappointed with the playlist support.

Since I have an Android phone, I'm not really looking for anything more complicated than that (though, wifi file transfer would be a bonus, I suppose).

3. Joerg

Another bad iPod clone... with Linux Android it sucks...

The whole Linux Android thing is a real nightmare to both developers and users.

Programming on Android any application it's just crazy, it doesn't matter that Google approves any garbage application submitted to them no question asked when a developer has to deal with nonsense lack of clear standard specifications among devices and a disgusting Java like virtual machine using web oriented languages like Javascript instead of good plain C/C++ with a proper set of APIs. And running all of that on top of a Linux system doesn't help either.

With all the Apple limitations programming on Apple iOS OSX Unix Mach-BSD based it's way easier. And the end user experience it's guaranteed to be better as well even with garbage apps when they get approved.

1. James Hughes 1

Thanks for that.

You have obviously had a good play with one, and written apps for it (not bad in the one day its been announced).

Nice one.

(and there are very good reasons why C/C++ is not the best choice for apps for these sorts of devices. And since both the Apple device and Android run over a very similar kernel ie Un*x, I'm not sure what you are getting at in your final point))

4. Patrick O'Reilly
    FAIL

Good Catch

I was about to launch head first into a rant about the Archos having a plethora of Android devices but you got there first. Surely Samsung's PR people could have just Googled "android MP3 player"

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Creative Android PMP

The Creative Zen Touch 2 is Android and has been out for awhile as well: http://us.store.creative.com/ZEN-Touch-2-8GB-Black/M/B004EVV3L6.htm

Maybe Samsung is taking the definition of "world's first" from Apple?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Philips

Also do an Android player as well.

7. Gangsta
    Jobs Horns

iPod Touch

aha, at last a device to rival the iPod Touch!

Similar Screen Size and an OS with a good browser; OK App Market and Flash.

Price is slightly cheaper than the iPod Touch as well.

However we need info on whether this is a SAMOLED type screen (which would make it possibly unbeatable for videos,but "possibly" rubbish <TROLL ALERT> for web browsing on such a small screen.

8. Richard Barnes

Alternatively...

... buy an Orange San Francisco for £99, add a 16Gb micro sd card for £20 and you've got practically the same thing with added phone & internet functionality and spent £30 less.

9. Mexflyboy
    Paris Hilton

So close yet so far!!!

I love the fact that it has official access to the Android Marketplace, but otherwise going by the pix and info on other websites, this is (for a nonphone music player) still too thick, and plasticky... Also the battery life (25/30 hrs music & 5 hours video) falls short of the iPod touch (40 hrs & 7 hours)... And then there's the just OK screen resolution on the Sammy... and the older Android OS instead of the latest, etc.... Come on Sammy, you're so close!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Spotify

So long as the sound quality and battery life are up to par this could be the PMP I've been waiting for. I've got an android phone but I'd rather have a separate PMP and so long as I can use Spotify offline on it this could be perfect.

I might wait a bit longer to see if Sony get around to an andy pmp but I suspect I'll be in for a long wait.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like