back to article Investors fight to buy secret special-offer Facebook equity

Goldman Sachs is to reportedly end soliciting interest in Facebook shares from wealthy investors later today. According to the Wall Street Journal, which cited people familiar with the situation, the brokerage has been inundated with orders of "several billion dollars" after the deal emerged over the weekend. Goldman Sachs …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Candy

Microsoft not doing too badly from this either...

Remeber when MS sank $240m into Facebook. This latest investment by Sachs more than triples the value of that initial stake. Seems like there's no shortage of buyers, either.

2. Bluenose

Year 2000 all over again

Here we go again, overpriced company shares being punted by a bank whilst limited information is being provided around the actual financial position of the company. This is exactly what led to the market crash in technology stocks in 2000 and it seems some people just don't learn

3. Code Monkey

If anyone missed the Facebook boat

I've some prime swamp real estate they can invest in.

1. Yag
      Flame

Real estate?

This is SO 2007!

I wonder how much Paulson gave to Goldman Sachs this time...

4. Ian Rogers
    FAIL

Balls of Titanium

Every pic of that smug git Zuckerman here on El REg makes my skin crawl.

But all credit to him - valuing Facebook at 100$ per account (200$ or more per active user) is the bluff of the century!

The "investors" are going to lose their shirts...

5. JaitcH
    FAIL

Not all that Goldman Sachs touches ...

turns to gold.

In fact they used to bet it wouldn't.

Some have really short memories.

6. dssf

How much value can there be in profiles that are locked?

This probably is why fb keeps angling to expose ALL or as many profiles as possible. With all those games and apps exposing people's birthdays, comments, hobbies, and so on, fb is just TRYING damned hard to tear down quasi-anonymity. It's one thing to expose one's face and comments to friends, and much more a different thing when a company tries to THRUST those comments into open rather than respecting educated privacy concerns. Total privacy may be dying, but user-obtainable privacy should not be hacked up and distributed like hotcakes.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

title

Another take on this at Rolling Stone: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/blogs/taibblog/goldmans-stinky-facebook-deal-20110104

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

$50 billion =$100 for every user [*]

Does each user on average provide over their 'tenancy' that value? if not, waht does the valuation mean?

Smells like madness.

([*]also $7 for every human on the planet)

9. Dr. Funk.
    WTF?

f**k me

there really is one born every minute.

10. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    WTF?

So what are Facebooks *actual* assets?

It's got a server farm (*nothing* like the one Google's got and probably not even up to Amazon's operation)

It's got a load of bandwidth connected to those servers (but see Google and Amazon comparison above)

But the "smart" money reckons it's worth $50Bn. I'd guess that's in Walmart and GM or Ford territory.

The 90's are back.

And big "smart" investors are throwing stupid money into companies with massive capitalization-to-earnings ratios.

Anyone know how many of those 90's companies are still in business?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like