back to article Beaver, correctly used, 'could save ecosystem', contends prof

In struggling to save endangered ecosystems, America frequently overlooks one of its most valuable resources, according to one expert. That resource is beaver. "Our argument is that the restoration target for streams with forested riparian zones has got to acknowledge the diversity brought to river systems by active beaver …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Naughtyhorse

Furry gobblers ideal in conditions of thick wood

fnar fnar

thats all

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Assuming that landowners aren't fined for beavers building dams on their property...

http://www.snopes.com/humor/letters/dammed.asp

3. Anonymous John
    Unhappy

First Paris story of the year!

Ah.....

4. hplasm
    Boffin

Too much wood?

Apply beaver.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nice beaver!

Thank you. I just had it stuffed.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

The punchlines are just too obvious

Paris, for obvious beaver-related reasons.

7. Tim #3

Where's Lewis?

Shocking lack of double entendres, is Lewis on holiday still?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yeah

...beavers will often act as unpaid maintenance crews... Indeed, it all depends on seduction technique.

8. David Kelly 2

What? No tree-cutting permit?

How do they plan to convince beavers to file for tree cutting permits and environmental impact studies for their activities?

1. Scorchio!!

Re: What? No tree-cutting permit?

"How do they plan to convince beavers to file for tree cutting permits and environmental impact studies for their activities?"

Some of the beavers are willingly applying for such permits and co-operating with all studies, but others are not. Thus we have a split in the beaver lobby.

2. Michael Dunn
      Coat

Red-tape

And risk assessment, diversity monitoring............etc.

I have all the forms in my pocket.

9. Marcus Aurelius
    Coat

Personally

I am waiting for Ms Bee to slap some comment on this article down with a world weary sigh...

10. Petrea Mitchell
    Boffin

This was known already

There's actually a program here in the state of Oregon to relocate giant rodents to streams which need repair. (Not ultimately for the mere sake of the environment; it's to help out the commercial salmon fisheries.)

11. Denarius
    Thumb Up

Sounds familiar thinking

Here in the Antipodes Peter Andrews, a non-traditional type of farmer suggest slowing water flow with obstructions in creeks using trees, dead or alive. This slowed water flow allowing banks to stabilise and sediment to be dropped. Organic debris also gets caught and creates a wet composting area which encourages plant growth.

This topic is closed for new posts.