back to article Amazon preps Kindleware for Android, Windows tablets

Amazon is prepping Kindleware for Android and Windows tablets. On Tuesday, the etailer announced that its tailoring free Kindle apps for new Android- and Windows-based tablets "coming in 2011." The apps will allow tablet users to download and read ebooks from Amazon's Kindle bookstore – even if they don't own a physical Kindle …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Kindle for Android

There is already a Kindle app for Android which they will hopefully update to alow easy use on large screens.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Already works on Android

The existing Kindle Android app works perfectly on my Galaxy Tab (with compatibility mode off), with full screen pages, and supporting the delivery of magazines and newspapers. I tend to use my Kindle for reading books and the Android app for newspapers and magazine articles etc, although as Amazon mentioned, will swap between both.

Also, "LCD tablet computer" is not code for an iPad, mine certainly isn't one.

3. David Evans

erm,

I'm already using Kindle on my Galaxy Tab. Works just fine.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Couldn't care less.

EPUB is the future. I fell sorry for those that invested in Kindle hardware and the iTunes-like Amazon lock in.

I predict a year before Amazon are also forced to sell EPUB too.

1. Dapprman

Except ...

Amazon are out selling the ePuB retailers, probably as a result of them being considerably and consistently cheaper than the likes of Waterstones and W H Smiths. For non-DRM ePuB there is also Kindle.

If market forces were to end the format war then it's far more likely that Sony et al will start making readers for the Amazon format.

Personally I would like to see kindles reading ePub format without the need for conversion.

1. Dapprman
        Coat

woops

"For non-DRM ePuB there is also Kindle" should read "For non-DRM ePuB there is also Calibre."

2. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

and how long do you expect that to last?

Amazon are clearly paying the difference as a loss-leader. Once they have sewn the market up, they subsidized hardware and content will evaporate overnight and Amazon will be free to charge what they want...

It's all going to change soon anyway, as Google are entering the e-book market supporting EPUB and getting publishers onboard.

1. Dapprman

Except ...

They've been constantly cheaper than their rivals in the US as well for a few years now - a long time for a loss leader promotion - and if you were right about their reasons, why have their rivals not done the same ?

Oh and why not post under your account name rather than anonymously as you post the same anti-kindle comments on every related thread - you too ashamed of your trolling ?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like