back to article Duke of Edinburgh gives spintronics researchers a pile of cash

The Duke of Edinburgh is funding research into spintronics that has demonstrated the reading and writing of data from the spin of the nuclei of phosphorous atoms. The grand old D of E, through the Royal Commission for the Exhibition of 1851 which he heads, is but one of many funders of the research which has been carried out …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Boffin

Swamp castle!

"However, this would require the ability to read and write the spin of a single atomic nucleus."

Yes, however this per se is not interesting. You also need to entangle several nuclei into a common state, then manipulate that state by apply quantum gate transformations to it, which is where the rubber is hitting the road, so to say.

2. Steve X

Royal Commission for the Exhibition of 1851

Isn't it just a little bit late to be getting around to this now?

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Who heard of who (the Commission or the scientists)?

And on the subject is there *no* worthy UK research to be funded?

4. Mark Dowling
    Thumb Up

Who put together this quantum state?

Looks like it was put together by a (insert ethnic group here)?

1. Gannon (J.) Dick
      Joke

@Mark Dowling

Quantum States' Rights ? Too American, I think :o)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"hundreds of gigahertz"

Isn't strictly RF anymore. 300 Ghz and above is really classed as far infra-red. No?

Anyhow, fascinating.

6. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge
    Coat

Need to Know just got Pwnd and Elevated?

"Indeed, they say the technique could be used both for binary computers and for the glamorous prospective quantum computer with qubits being one and zero simultaneously. However, this would require the ability to read and write the spin of a single atomic nucleus. That requires more research."

You don't say. Is anyone else you know into Immaculately Researched Applications yet, with a Master Piloted Program, or would that be subject to a classification best left unsaid, but which would have Team House of Windsor, rampant, and light years ahead of all opposition and/or competition? Or is it just impotent spin and a no cock and all bull story?

And Merry XSSXXXXmas to All .... and a Happy New Year.

7. M7S
    Joke

There's something about storing data on phosphorous that makes me hesitate

However at least the water fire suppression issues will presumably not be as dramatic as BT have just found out in that exchange near the main shopping streets in central London.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Did he make any jokes/offend anyone?

Did he make any jokes/offend anyone?

9. Rogerborg

But if such devices are made in China

Won't the orbits be all slanty?

self->coat.get();

10. mhenriday
    Pint

The Duke of E in on this ?

I can't resist quoting the good Duke himself - with a little help from Steve Bell (http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cartoon/2010/dec/09/the-quenn-prince-charles-philip) : «I should farken caycay !»...

Henri

11. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

My brane is overloading...

When a 386 with 4 Meg of RAM was upgraded to 8 Meg of ram, that was a quantum leap...

Now stock bog shit PC's - and even laptops, and the low spec ones come with 2 or 4 gig of RAM...

And now people in labs REALLY are fucking with atoms, like lining up the electrons AT nearly absolute zero and reading and writing data from them......

Fuck -

Now they have gene sequencers the size of common desk top printers...

This is really incredible.....

I mean it is REALLY incredible.......................

I reckon there will come a day when the humble PC is the size of a sugar cube, with an atomic battery with a life of 1000 years, a full daylight holographic screen, a neural interface and keyboard...

All running on a 6 atom quantum core..... and it will be lightening fast, but quantumly so...

Then in a year or so's time, some other crowd will bring out the first of the series of sub atomic particle PC processors.....

"And this model here sir / madam - uses the new Refractal Fermi Quark Gluon CPU that is 10,000,000,000 times faster than the standard electron CPU.... blah blah blah....... and blah"

And they are only $5.99.

The most disturbing thing about all of this is that I am slowly losing my mind.... I can no longer comprehend anything anymore...

All I understand is that my cheapest bottom $ spec motherboard and CPU, overloads when doing any more than 2 or 3 basic tasks, and a CPU intensive task gets added on - like big file transfers or doing a file search....

And now true atom data processing is happening.... Whoooooo far out.

I guess one of the truly interesting thing with faster than light warp drives is that I only ever saw this one fakt check ever written once, in one article - ever... and the guy said this:

"It will take about 2 seconds of faster than light travel to absolutely fry you with cosmic radiation"

And that was a calculated dose, not a euphamism.

So while all the clever people are working on solutions on how to do it, non of them have factored in that you will die very very very quickly if you do do it....

OK now back to spinning atom PC's.

12. Primus Secundus Tertius
    Unhappy

Spelling of phosphorus

It's phosphorUS, not phosphorOUS, when you mean atoms of element number 15.

OUS refers to: (I) glowing in the dark, or (ii) the compounds of phosphorus in its trivalent state.

This topic is closed for new posts.