back to article Intel and AMD in third quarter stalemate

Intel and AMD maintained pretty much the same market share in the third quarter, according to chip market watcher iSuppli. By iSuppli's reckoning, Intel squeaked out an extra tenth of a point of market share in the third quarter, garnering 80.1 per cent of global microprocessor revenues, while AMD lost seven-tenths of a per …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Slow news day.

"Wilkins said that microprocessor revenues rose by 23 per cent in the third quarter, but did not provide a revenue figure. (You have to pay big bucks for that data.) "

Er.. no... If you are greedy (or stupid) enough to pay for a rumour then that is your choice. The markets will decide when both companies declare their quarterly figures.

2. Nick Kew
    Stop

Apples and Oranges

Does this report compare completely non-comparable numbers? As in, Intel's revenues for microprocessors vs ARM's for licensing designs?

You need to add the revenues of the manufacturers (Samsung, TI, etc) to ARM to get a valid comparison.

3. Neal 5

@ Nick Kew

Er, no you don't, this is statistics and accounting, you just make the numbers up as you feel like it.

4. Robert E A Harvey
    Stop

Pundits? Pah!

I'm getting sick of pundits.

5. Craig 2
    Thumb Up

AMD

I really hope AMD don't start losing market share because they are keeping Intel (relatively) honest!

1. Ammaross Danan
      Unhappy

Waiting

I'm just waiting for the good-ole days to come back when AMD's top CPU actually beat Intel's top design. Even an X6 1100T falls short of an i7-965

6. sola

It is suspicious that ARM is not growing

When Apple sells 4 million iPads a quarter and who-knows-how-many iPhones, than I am suspicious when this doesn't compile into growing market share of ARM licensees and shrinking market share of Intel and AMD. And this would only be Apple so we are not talking about the millions of cheap Chineese crap tablets which also use some kind of ARM.

Either this report doesn't include ARM shipments at all (in this case it is worthless), or it is false.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like