back to article WikiLeaks urged to stop hosting on Russian blackhat ISP

Security watchers have urged Wikileaks to stop hosting its material with a "bulletproof" Russian ISP believed to primarily cater to, or be controlled by, Russian cyber criminals. Wikileaks.org now points to a mirror of the site, mirror.wikileaks.info, hosted by Webalta, a blackhat ISP linked to a company called Heihachi Ltd, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Big Brother

If Amazon was not beholen to Senator Lieberman's puffery

...all of that could have been avoided.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

@DAM

Totally agree. And it doesn't matter where it is hosted. Because information wants to be free, indeed.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Wikileaks

This organisation can be judged by the company it keeps.

1. hplasm
      FAIL

Yes-

Amazon is hanging out with some dodgy politicians.

3. John G Imrie
    Joke

Hosting services

Perhaps Spamhaus and Trend Micro could prevail on some major US hosting provider to host the site. This would clear up any problems with the hosting reputation.

I hear that Amazon.com provides such a service.

4. Mark Broadhurst
    FAIL

Its almost like they wanted a legit host like amazon.

but they wouldn't let them.

People go where they are driven.

5. bluest.one
    Megaphone

When They Outlaw Free Speech...

... only outlaws will have free speech.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Oh yes...

and guns don't kill people, people kill people.

Geez. What you forget is that just because you CAN say something, doesn't mean you SHOULD

Note that Wikileaks has not posted information it thinks is significant, but is rather suffering from an unimaginable case of webarrhea. This isn't idealism - it's populism.

Anonymous because there are plenty of nutters out there who might try to DDOS me for saying something nasty about Wikileaks.

6. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    FAIL

@Titus

I see. Stop someone having anything to do with those you regard as {spit} upstanding, then criticise them for for dealing with those you don't like.

How very reasonable.

1. LaeMing
      Flame

We call sheep stupid

after centuries of selectively breeding them for their behaviour. And lock pigs (naturally fairly clean animals) in a stinking pen of soiled mud and then point and call them dirty, so why not force data-providers we don't like to ISPs of dubious reputation and then point it out? It is just human nature!

7. Paul_Murphy

And meanwhile there are over 2000 wikileaks mirrors.

Wikileaks is currently mirrored on 2174 sites (updated 2010-12-14 22:12 GMT) (from http://wikileaks.ch/mirrors.html).

And there are instructions on it's site on how to set up mirroring so that it can be updated - not only is the cat out of the bag, the horses bolted and the leaper leapt, but unless wikileaks decides that it's not under assault by the US, and fighting for it's survival - which I doubt will happen anytime soon - it would seem that they are far more interested in carrying out their mission to spread the leaked truth than they are in protecting the organisation that is attacking them.

funny that.

ttfn

8. morphoyle

literal

Calling Russia a "virtual" mafia state doesn't really do it justice. I would say they are a literal mafia state at this point.

9. famousringo
    Pirate

This is what happens...

When you criminalize certain activities, like drinking alcohol, smoking cannabis, or publishing the truth. The black market will provide.

I'm sure Webalta is looking forward to the future business of The Guardian, Le Monde, and The New York Times.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Conspiracy Theory #1

The CIA, NSA, Magij-12, Chuck Bartowski or Division have placed the wikileaks mirror on the site of dubious reputation, but retains control.

The "owner" can then start adding false documents among the released material Documents that it can later prove to be false, thereby proving wikileaks made everything up and it's all be a big hoax.

1. John G Imrie

Thanks for playing, but

A quick check of all the other mirrors out there will quickly prove which are the fake documents.

11. Drefsab

hmm

I wonder how much of this is just because most web host are scared to touch them or take their buisness, who would want to host a site thats subject to such negative things as DDoS attacks and possible political/legal proceedings form the USA.

They have looked at hosting with OVH but OVH wouldnt accept them without legal advice which it seams has been hard to get and even then they have been advised to not touch them (source: http://forum.kimsufi.co.uk/showthread.php?t=889). If you cant get hosting any place but the blackhat ISP's then thats the place your sites going to live.

12. MrCheese
    Boffin

Clever or foolish?

Who's to know if a particular ISP is or is not inherently serving up malware, are we so naive to rule out the possibility that supply and demand has indeed produced mafia-run ISPs, run as legitimate business fronts but which also generate revenue from malware or their customer's malware?

Whether Wikileaks chose to take take their business there or were driven there is largely irrelevant, it's a pretty big gamble with all that data....then again they may just have picked that ISP to get up the yanks noses.

13. FozzyBear
    FAIL

@Titus Technophobe

Interesting viewpoint I was going to respond further but I fear that the arguments I would have posted would be lost in translation

14. Joe Montana
    Go

Why not?

Hosting wikileaks there seems an obvious choice, the staff at this ISP are obviously not going to bow down to pressure from the US government or other interested parties...

I was a case of either host it somewhere like this, or keep moving from host to host as you get kicked off.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like