back to article South Sudan voters get SMS election hotline

Sudanese citizens might not be able to cast their ballot by SMS, but they will be able to report intimidation and violence at polling stations by SMS short code. Voters in the forthcoming referendum on creating an independent South Sudan will be able to contribute to a crowd-sourced map of the country which is intended to show …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ratfox

Unintended consequences

Doesn't the service allow potential terrorists to find out good targets? And what about terrorists sending fake information?

2. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Not sure I follow

...but how do they get to the map? I think they crowdsource from SMS approach is cool, but if the goal is to generate a map of safe poll locations but if the people have no way to access the map from cell (like putting a city name into an SMS and getting a report back), then I'm not sure I get the point.

3. M Gale

No user registration?

I can understand how people would be somewhat unnerved at having to register for such a service, especially if it could be subverted and used to find the registered users. However.. doesn't this throw the service open to being spammed by non-friendly interests?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

"Twitter users need comparatively high-spec kit, compared to SMS"

One can tweet, and receive tweets, by SMS...

1. NightFox

Stet

Yes, but don't you need a computer and Internet connection to set that up in the first place?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like