back to article Amazon blames hardware – not hackers – for European outage

Problems with Amazon's systems in Europe over the weekend were down to hardware failure rather than hackers, the e-commerce giant said on Sunday. Christmas shoppers trying to complete purchases from Amazon's online stores in the UK, France, Germany, Austria and Italy were locked out for around half an hour on Sunday. Amazon …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Anonymous is not what it once was!

> A statement from Anonymous denied launching an attack against Amazon, arguing that such a move would be counterproductive, in PR terms, as well as difficult in practice.

What ever happened to "for the lulz", if this were a true Anon protest they would have attacked Wikileaks by now just to share out the love.

2. BingBong

I thought that ..

I did wonder when BBC News made a noise about it as my wife and I were both browsing amazon.co.uk most of last night and neither of us noticed any slow down or outages, so I assumed it was a localized issue rather than a DDOS.

3. Matt Bradley
    Grenade

Yeah right.

"Simply put, attacking a major online retailer when people are buying presents for their loved ones would be in bad taste,"

Whereas attacking major card payment provider (Mastercard) when people are buying presents for their loved ones is fine, right?

I call BS on Anonymous' excuse. They have not attacked Amazon because any such attack was destined to fail. End.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Title Required

And PayPal.

Said the exact same thing just then to my friend before reading this.

All Anon are going to do is end up pissing off the average Joe - wankers.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hmmm

Yet a relief when Verified By Visa seems to have been suspended. Payments still being made, just security theater suspended p'raps?

4. Eenymeeny
    WTF?

Unclear on the concept

"A statement from Anonymous..."

Um, no.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bad taste?

Anonymous? 4Chan?

6. David 164

I say amazon are lying

So Amazon are saying there infrastructure is so poor that a single hardware failure can bring down there entire website.

I will consider my self lucky I do not own shares in Amazon.

7. unbound
    FAIL

So...

The article starts up with a strawman argument? Neither Amazon nor Anonymous ever claimed that hacking brought down the site, but this article creates the claim. And journalists wonder why people don't take them seriously anymore...

8. The main man

Also...

Like the articel said, Amazon is well protected and beyound the reach and knowledge of Anon. They know that they suffered a backlash when they first tried and have lost a few hacker members already

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So let me get these two things straight:

1. Attacking people who are just trying to buy a loved one a gift is in bad taste, but attacking people who are trying to buy a gift for their loved one with a Mastercard is.

2. Anonymous cannot be controlled because it is a vast conglomeration of individuals acting of their own accord in a non-cooridnated manner, but it is coordinated and can speak authoritatively about what Anonymous is not doing.

10. crayon

Mastercard and friends

The attacks were on their websites not their payment gateways infrastructure.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like