back to article Donkey Kong Country Returns

If Doctor Who: Return to Earth shows how weak some Wii games can be, Donkey Kong Country Returns demonstrates the exact opposite. This game is bloody good, and I really need say no more. Donkey Kong Country Returns Mega bite The staggering thing is that it's a rehash of a title released on the SNES more than 15 years ago. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Get real.

This tripe gets 95% and GT5 gets 80%????

What twisted world do you lot live in? One with different yardsticks it seems....

Bang, there goes your credibility.

1. bluesxman
      Grenade

RE: Get real.

Different yardsticks? Two entirely different games, two different reviewers.

Reviews compiled by a single person are subjective by their very nature. For an agregated perspective you could check Metacritic. Where DKCR is rated 87% vs 84% for GT5, seems there's somewhat of a consensus on which is the better game.

The wonderful thing about opinions is that everyone it entitled to their own.

"Bang, there goes your credibility." ... posted as AC? As such, your credibility hasn't gone -- it was never there to begin with.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

tripe?

Presumably you have played it then? A lot? Because that the only make to make a fair assessment.

Diffrent strokes as they say, I'm guessing I will like this more than GT5, because I prefer platform games to car games. But have I said GT5 is tripe? No.

I think you are the one lacking in credibility.

1. Thomas 4
        Stop

Why do people always get this wrong about reviews...

A review is an assessment of the *quality* of something, albeit from a personal perspective. It's not an assessment of the *popularity* of something, just to massage your ego.

2. The main man
    Thumb Up

Looks great

Not played it but brings back memories of my SNES days. So far my christmas wish lists are: DKC, Epic Mickey and GT5 :)

1. Newt_Othis

Save your pennies

I'd hold back on Epic Mickey if I were you. The general consensus is that it stinks.

@ El Reg - Surely Rare is better known as the creator of GoldenEye 64? (Although many of my faves of yesteryear had the Ultimate logo on them)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Up

Rare

For me it was Killer Instinct on the SNES (still unbeaten as 'Combo') followed by Diddy Kong Racing on N64.

I feel a flashback coming on....

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{

<wibbly wibbly>

2. Kevin 6

@Newt_Othis

I read those reviews on the game, and find 95% of their complaints were blown up to unbelievable proportions.

Most say the camera is horrendous. I found the camera to be fine. A little slow but glitch wise I've encountered the similar issues in every 3rd person 3d game, from every 3d mario to world of warcraft.

There is also a little bit of glitching with aiming paint in epic mickey. Like sometimes you will aim it and it should shoot far but in hits the ledge in front of you. Think I died once due to this happening.

Other than those 2 things I've not had any issues in the 6 hours I played epic mickey so far. I actually find epic mickey to be way more fun than I was expecting.

3. Marky W
    Alert

They don't make 'em like they used to

Oh. Apparently they do. And charge £45 for the priviledge.

'Tis a strange world....

4. Benedict

price

£40-45? Really? I'd rather just pay £4 for the original and play that again.

5. brakepad

95%?

I'm not disputing that it may be a great game, but how can it possibly justify a score of 95% when any part of it can be described as "tedious"?

1. Steven Knox
      Boffin

Just perhaps...

the tedious part is 5% of the game and the rest is perfect...?

That's math, that is.

6. Keyser Soze
    Go

Sofa Co-op games are a rarity

Glad to be getting a re-work of a classic game that I can play with my Mrs.

7. irish donkey
    Happy

That's Christmas sorted then

memories of the old SNES days flooding back. We have a couple of chimps ourselves now and look forward to showing how we used to kick it in the old days.

8. sabroni Silver badge

£40-£45

not for a wii game. It's £35 on amazon at the moment. Likewise, the mario collection that out at the moment is being reported as costing £40 but is selling for £20.

@brakepad - maybe that's what stopping it getting 100%?

Some excellent wii games out at the moment, surprising as apparently they don't sell well. Seems that working within the limitations of the hardware can really pay dividends. Something the GT developers should maybe have paid attention to....

1. James Hughes 1

Right on

Bought mine for £31 from Amazon on preorder - missed the £29 price by one day. Never mind!

Anyway, haven't played it yet as its an Xmas prezzie, but this review may provoke some late night practice before the sprogs get too good at it.

Quite looking forward to this one - to try and wean me and the boys of Super Mario Galaxy 2, another great Wii game that really shows what decent game design and programming can do on the slower consoles. Mind you, I still play Mr Do! on Mame.

9. Sampler

What about the N64 game?

"The staggering thing is that it's a rehash of a title released on the SNES more than 15 years ago. The orginal Donkey Kong Country was released in 1994 and sold more than 8m copies"

What about the 1999 Donkey Kong 64 (one of the first, if not the first, games to require the memory expansion pack) - I'm fairly certain that was a followup to the snes trilogy - technically making this game a followup to a decade old game, no 15 year old.

1. Steven Raith
      Thumb Up

Expansion pak...

I think Perfect Dark was the first game to require the EP to play the full game, although DK64 required it to play the game full stop. But it came with it as a bundle IIRC, so not quite the same - PD didn't come with the Pak, and IIRC if you didn't have it, you were stuck with just multiplayer.

Still, DK64 was a fucking excellent game, and although I got stuck at the Jack-In-The-Box boss, I loved playing it through to that point. Quite possibly Rares final hurrah before they started pushing out tedious remakes of their own licensed material (PD Zero, etc)

I still insist the N64 had some of the best games of any console/system of it's generation, ever.

And as for the previous posters, from what I hear, GT5 really isn't all that. In fact, from a few people who are platform agnostic, Forza III, a year old game, kicks GT5 all over the park in terms of actual playability. You know, actually being fun, as opposed to being a four year old game in a new skin. Which was meant to be a launch title, etc....

Steven R

10. DZ-Jay

Nephew Diddy?

I thought in the original DKC, Diddy was the girl with the heli-pony-tail...

-dZ.

1. Gordon Lawrie

Nope.

That's Dixie Kong you're thinking of.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Dixie

Dixie is the one with the pony tale, she was in DKC2.

3. Will.
      Thumb Up

@ Nephew Diddy?

Diddy is the nephew, and he and his girlfriend Dixie were in Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, if I recall correctly.

and @ Sample "What about the N64 game?"

There was also Donkey Kong Land 1,2 & 3 on the Gameboy, which were pretty much all more of the same (and complementary to Donkey Kong Country 1, 2 and 3 on the SNES) and all were excellent.

11. mafoo
    Big Brother

One problem

Ant and Dec were advertising this game on tv, with a 'I'm a celebrity' style set.

My pavlovian association now so ingrained; the mere sight of it makes me bark loudly and then curl up int the foetal position crying.

12. thecresta
    Happy

Thank you for the music!

The amazing SNES soundtrack returns in remixed form!

That alone makes it worth buying.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

♫ Memories ... like the corners of my mind ... ♫

DKC on the SNES was agreed, among my peers, to be the most beautiful game in all creation. I remember heading off to college for a lecture, leaving my flatmates behind to play "one quick game" before they joined me. I would return after closing time to find them in exactly the same place, the only noticeable difference being a significantly fuller ashtray and a correspondingly diminshed bag of weed. This pattern continued, I think, for three full days. Good times....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like