back to article Burmese junta strongman considered buying Manchester United

The leader of the Burmese military junta seriously considered a $1bn bid for Manchester United in January 2009. The Asian republic was coping with the aftermath of cyclone Nargis (which killed around 140,000) at the time, but Than Shwe, commander of the armed forces in the south-east Asian state, was urged by his grandson to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Desk Jockey
    Flame

Nooooooo!

Why would that evil Bin Laden chap support Arsenal? Apart from the fact that Arsenal seems to like French and Dutch players (hardly known as famously pro-Muslim these days!) if I remember correctly, Arsenal traditionally had a high number of Jewish supporters?

As for Man U, well they will pretty much accept a screwing from any old tart in exchange for money! (sorry, had to be said!)

1. Old Tom
      Boffin

No, you don't remember correctly

" if I remember correctly, Arsenal traditionally had a high number of Jewish supporters?"

That'll be their North London rivals, Tottingham Hotspur.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Arsenal.

As in a stockpile of weapons.

Now say DOH!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Arsenal and Jews

As both a Jew and an Arsenal season ticket holder I would say that yes, Arsenal do have a large Jewish fanbase (that are also season ticket holders too - must be the money thing :P )

Don't know if Totnum's claim about having a lot of Jews on board is also true but certainly Arsenal have a lot of Jewish followers.

I think Obama bin Laden should buy ManUre personally, he could cripple it and the world would laugh so hard when they get relegated :D

2. nyelvmark
    Stop

Osama bin Laden (who famously supports Arsenal)

Citation please?

And @Desk Jockey: I think it's Tottenham that's traditionally the Jewish team, no?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

$1bn?

Where the heck did he get the money? From legitimate business surely, he must have a shoe laces factory or something.

Here's a report from the UN on the matter: "Yeah, the people look happy. Some have bruises, must have fallen down the stairs. Oh, look the other way, a cute puppy!"

4. Twyst

RE: Arsenal

Tottenham is the club that is famous for it's Jewish fanbase, but Arsenal also have a large but less well known Jewish following as well... however, Arsenal also have large numbers of Muslim supporters (natural, given the demographics of Islington/Camden and nearby boroughs) and I remember reading that they have the highest proportion of non-white attending supporters in english professional football.

As for Bin Laden, the source is a biography from a few years ago that claimed he attended some games while staying in London in the 90s - link to the bbc news article about it here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/1650069.stm

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like