back to article CNN flashes gay todger over interwebs

God alone knows what rotund gobshite Rush Limbaugh will make of it, but we suspect CNN editors will be wishing they'd never been born after they get the Excellence in Broadcasting treatment for this outrage: CNN website grab showing gay campaigning badges, one with male member A shaken Bootnotes department has added a handy …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Looks like they cropped it now...

...shame.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Coat

Re: Looks like they cropped it now...

Gosh, that brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it.....

2. peyton?
    Paris Hilton

Golf pants?

I don't get it.

(All the Americans around me are quivering in the their blue jeans ;)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

haha

Who's going to be the first to point out that people will be making jokes about the goatse guy?

4. yeehaw....

Damn. lol.

Glossed right by that one this morning - saw 'California' and 'Prop8', just said 'Meh,' - what's Bernake up today?

Rather than outraged, I'm just amused.

Go figure.

5. Hollerith 1

From what little one sees...

...looks like a todger. Can't really tell if it's gay or straight. Oh, you mean there's no difference?

1. jake Silver badge

@Hollerith 1

That's my take on it ... But let's not stop TBFI's followers from providing hours of entertainment to those of us with the capability of thinking for ourselves ;-)

1. thecakeis(not)alie
        Headmaster

@jake

Almost all members of homo sapiens sapiens have the /ability/ to thing for ourselves. That many of us /choose/ not to do so is where the contention lies. I suspect that the number of individuals* within our species actually /incapable/ of independent thought is fairly small.

*Pun not intended. If a person is biologically incapable of independent thought are they an individual? What then is the proper term? Node (as in hive-mind?) Similarly, if you willingly subsume your own individuality to that of the hive-mind, are you then still an individual? Willingly subsuming your individual identity means you are still /capable/ of independent though, simply not exercising it. Hmm...we need the grammar police on this one.

2. LaeMing
      Paris Hilton

It's like Larson's jellyfish

"Only they can tell"

Paris adds: "That's hawt!"

3. DZ-Jay

There is a difference...

And it's in where they stick it in, and the picture seems clear in that regard.

-dZ.

1. Stoneshop
        FAIL

Does it?

Can you tell it's a *male* arse being depicted?

6. JakeyC

Woah there!

Could we not have got a NSFW (really NSF anywhere) tag on this please?!

Really don't want to see a close up of bum fun (gay or otherwise) while having my lunch!

There's a time and a place for this sort of thing, and that place is the Graham Norton show.

1. Stoneshop
      WTF?

And the words

"gay todger" aren't sufficient?

1. JakeyC

No, not on the Reg!

You must be new here, straplines are rarely all they seem!

1. Stoneshop
          FAIL

@JakeyC

"You must be new here"

Fortunately, my keyboard is coffee-resistant.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

Maybe he's American.

"And the words "gay todger" aren't sufficient?"

Todger is not exactly a common word over here on this side of the pond, so maybe he didn't know what it meant. It seems to be a British word. We Americans don't get much exposure (no pun intended) to British-isms like "todger" unless we're long-time readers of sites like this :)

2. Aaron Em

How the hell do you call that a close-up?

Do you wear a magnifying loupe throughout your daily occasions, or are you perhaps just an over-sensitive whiner awaiting only the excuse of a half-dozen square pixels' naughtiness to cough up rancid milk all over your security blanket and go toddling off to tattle to Teacher? Inquiring minds want to know!

7. There's a bee in my bot net

Rush Limbo

I wonder how long the reg will persist with the reprisals aimed at Rush... it is most amusing.

1. wilber

Rush does too

I am sure Rush agrees to idea of, "I don't care what they say about me, just make sure they spell my name right."

Then again, he probably agrees with most circus promoters.

2. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Rush Limbo

You mean Rush the fat gobshite, or Rush the Canadian pomp rock band?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/07/30/music_poll_results/

3. thecakeis(not)alie

@There's a bee in my bot net

Please tell me it's not a Sarah Bee in your bot net. The last thing she needs is millions of nodes under (popcorn-hating) control.

Also: "how long the reg will persist with the reprisals aimed at Rush?"

Either one or two more articles, or functionally forever. You either get mocked until we lose interest in you, or we adopt you like we have Paris Hilton. Just as Paris Hilton and Lindsey Lohan have been adopted as shining examples of (respectively) promiscuity and “dizzy ditz,” I suspect RL will be adopted as the shining example of “everything that’s wrong with the USofA.”

Now that doesn’t make the mascots adopted around here the best examples. I suspect Paris isn’t nearly as promiscuous as she is often made out to be. As dizzy a ditz as Lohan might or might not be…she’s made a whack-tonne of money having just a whale of a good time…so I am still processing how much of a mascot for fail she truly is.

RL is…well…listen to his show and you tell me. Still, he does manage to make a fine living doing what he does…so to me he represents more a symptom than the root cause of the disease. That’s all philosophical semantics, however. The point isn’t actually who the individuals themselves are, but what they have come to represent. Each of these individuals have become living representatives of a sort of new world archetype.

These individuals to not simply fulfill a role as a stereotype. Stereotypes are pre-existing beliefs and prejudices into which you slot people or groups. These individuals are in a sense responsible for setting the standard for new and unique roles into which we can slot others. They are the human equivalent of Microsoft’s “embrace, extend and extinguish” philosophy. There were stereotypes that existed before them occupying the same general category these individuals now claim…but they have taken these stereotypes to new extremes. They have embraced a previous social Archetype, extended it with their own unique flavour crystals and extinguished the relevance of previous versions.

They (along with several other prominent personalities in their various fields of professional “fail”) set the bar in their own unique ways for generations to come. From a sociological perspective, it’s fascinating.

From the perspective of “holy shit these people have stupendously more power, money and influence than me and yet look at what buffoonery they get up to” it’s ****ing terrifying.

Worth thinking on.

8. lansalot
    Happy

hmm

Looks like someone's getting turned over by an eight there alright...

9. Mat Child

Don't get it

What's with the "Got Milk" badges? I admit i don't know the details of this issue - only the broad outline

1. Stoneshop

Submit

the words "Harvey Milk" to your search engine of choice

2. Tigra 07

RE: Mat Child

He was a pro gay rights politician who fought for us to have equal protection under the law and was murdered for it.

His name was Harvey Milk, so that explains the badges.

And the crossed out 8s are no to Prop 8, the California proposal to ban gay marriage unconstitutionally, which then passed thanks to Mormons from other states funding the Proposition 8 campaign and Religious zealots comparing homosexuality with paedophilia when collecting signatures (a subject the catholic church priests are constantly associated with).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Religious Zealots

Homosexuality is "against the religion" of Christianity as well as some others, so religious do-gooders protesting against such isn't "zealotry." I'm sure they'd protest a law allowing theft or the banning of certain religious practices just a hard. Doesn't mean they're not WRONG for doing so; just pointing out the should-be-obvious.

And yes, I'm aware that my two top-of-the-mind examples are of things that affect the "zealots" whereas same-sex marriage should/should not, but that's the root of the "wrong" part, isn't it? :)

/tiptoes off the would-be flame war for anyone pro OR against

1. Tigra 07
          FAIL

RE: Anonymous Coward

You're gonna get flamed and rightly so if in the 21st century you don't believe gay people dseserve equal rights, when they pay the same tax as you and get less back from it.

Catholics should clean up their own house before they try to deny anyone equal rights, especially since they benefit from special treatment under the law with charitable tax breaks for churches and harbour paedophiles from justice.

Did you also support the church when they fought against giving black people and women equal rights?

And as for your quote "Homosexuality is "against the religion" of Christianity"

That's down to how you interpret the bible as it never specifically says anything like that so your argument is sunk AC.

10. TonyHoyle

Refers to the film

Search IMDB for 'Milk'.

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Refers to the film

Or possibly the bloke.

11. Cameron Colley

Isn't that the new arm badge?

Proposed for "practising homosexuals" who work in the TSA?

12. Jason Togneri
    Happy

@ Sarah Bee / Re: Refers to the film

And the film in turn refers to the bloke, so it's all fairly redundant really.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

tip-off?

that's enough filthy talk

14. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

wellwell cover me in honey and toss me to the lesbians.....

well, cover me in honney and toss me to the lesbians !

this is obviously some sort of adjenda by the gay rights movement to take over the world.

so, let be be the first to welcome our new KY equiped overlords....

1. Hollerith 1

RU 1 2?

If not, they will throw you right out again, honey or no honey.

15. Eugene Goodrich
    Paris Hilton

@@Rush

"I wonder how long the reg will persist with the reprisals aimed at Rush... it is most amusing."

I imagine for as long as he'll keep asking for it. If I know one thing about the hacks at El Reg (and I probably don't), it's that they'll write whatever they can at least tenuously link to IT for as long as it keeps paying. (I believe the insider quote I'm looking for here is "We'd cover your mum for a fiver.")

16. Craig 28

Re:Straplines

Or even if the strapline was accurate it doesn't necessarily mean that there would be pictures in many cases on el reg.

Then again with an article named like this one it could just be an accidental and embarrassingly todger-shaped logo, as has happened many times before.

17. J 37

Literary gold!

Rotund Gobshite.

I laughed so hard I cried into my afternoon tea.

Still giggling.

18. Don Bannister
    Happy

Irish ?

Just wondering if Lester maybe has some Irish relatives. Gobshite is a particularly splendid word when said with an Irish accent. And much used on the Emerald Isle, too !

19. RW
    Big Brother

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

There's no guarantee that the gentleman whose wedding tackle is deployed in that photo is necessarily gay.

A. Because the object of his lust is of undetermined sex and may be a woman.

B. Because lots of gentlemen fond of the occasional sodomistical outing with another gentleman are quite definite that they are not gay. Just check relevant sections of Craigslist for proof.

For that matter, there's no guarantee that that isn't a photo of a shop window mannequin - though I must admit I've never seen or heard of one like that.

Big Brother has spoken.

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

Given the context, a 'straight todger' would be somewhat out of place, I think.

But if we all figured that out, there wouldn't be a thread, would there?

Sigh.

20. Fuh Quit
    Pint

Bumsex badges?

I've googled it but only find a bunch of hilarious links - where can you get those badges?

21. bugalugs
    Paris Hilton

Is this all about the badge in the bottom right hand corner of the pic ?

That's a right_in_the_bottom_corn-er, if you ask me !

it could be , it just could....

22. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

You had to place a red arrow there, didn't you!?!

I would totally not notice that, except for the flaming red arrow and legend. I would be glad if I hadn't.

On the other hand, I saw it in an open space office, and nobody noticed it either. Neither red arrow, nor pool cue, nor anything else. It is a win.

I know it doesn't help, but I'm going to wash my eyes.

"How come it says NSFW, but there is nothin'... oh, crap!" was pretty much my reaction.

This topic is closed for new posts.